FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Attent-shunn! Stand by your door-mats!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve wrote:
Jordan wrote:
Here's a more difficult question to ask... given that, as Jack has said, neither he nor Chris are spring chickens, what happens to MTI when the inevitable happens and Chris in particular is no longer with us?

Something that has occurred to me more than once...

steve

I can assure you that it has occured to us too - We were both surprised when we made it to issue #100, and we still stagger onwards - rather like old horses I suspect that we may drop in harness one day - hopefully not any day soon! I suspect when the day does come - the magazine will close down
Roger

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My copy arrived on Friday - thanks. A great read as always.

I like things just the way they are.

Keep up the great work Chris, Jack and all involved.

Roger

Very Happy

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook.
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...hopefully not any day soon!

Amen to that!!
Quote:
I suspect when the day does come - the magazine will close down

That's the reality of it - whilst a wider readership & more material are a bonus, it's Chris who is the key. He pulls it all together & really makes MTI what it is.
To measure his influence, take this Forum - even with the best will in the world it is in reality a very 'quiet' model railway Forum, with only a relative handful of regular participants. I do think it would be a more lively Forum if Chris himself was on here. On the other hand, his prolific "layout output" would suffer as a result!! Laughing
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this forum might be quiet, its never really been that noisy, but I have found most online forums I look at have got quieter over past year. I suspect most have found there is more to do out there.
On the subject of magazine editors, granted Chris has been the force behind this and its predecessors since Airfix asked him to produce a railway modelling magazine.
I don't agree with everything he has done, but partly through his words the R2R models have improved, but unfortunately that has also brought in less innovation within modellers. Much more difficult to find those detailing bits to improve models, and the models themselves are far more likely to have bits fall off them. There is no consistency with UK couplings and far more difficult to bodge when there is a problem. The old Hornby(Triang) metal ones could be bent to actually work.
For me the R2R models from 20 years ago were just about right, a compromise, but less fiddly. Their main fault was poor motor design, something that has improved over the years.
Another downside of the way the hobby has gone is that the manufacturers has spent a fortune trying to be the best, and in the process have possibly damaged their businesses. Combine this with Chinese costs going up and this is now resulting in a lot of undelivered promises.
And back to editors, many here grew up with well known editors in charge , and when they retired new faces appeared. It doesn't seem to have resulted in magazine stopping. Only thing I have found with some magazines is that they have become a bit predictable, and its a bit sad some think that is OK.
MTI and previous incarnations has always been different, its just a pity it is not out there a bit more, and I believe it could carry on for years, but it would need to change a little, hence why I suggest using a third party online magazine partner.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason other magazines can replace retired editors at will is that they pay a living wage to do the job while MTI is a hobby magazine in more ways than one.

I have no idea what the bottom line of the finances are, nor do I want to know because it is none of my business, but I suspect that Chris does not rely solely upon the magazine for his income. Just as the pastor at my local church is a retired farmer. He lives on his pension, not a stipend, but that doesn't make him any less capable of doing the job admirably.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
CRACKED

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think that a digital edition would actually increase readership, even if it were to prove cheaper and more convenient for overseas subscribers.

The bigger problem is that most people do not know of the existence of MTI. A lot of people in their fifties and sixties who have come back to the model railway hobby cannot even recall Scale Model Trains, and that was nationally distributed through newsagents. I only stumbled across MTI by accident while trying to find a drawing of an ex NER van.

I do not know if this is viable but has Chris considered asking if some of the book sellers who do the exhibition circuit such as Bob Pearman, if they would be willing to sell copies. Even if this generates only a few sales it would at least make MTI more visible to people.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes wonder if we actually want a viable sustainable hobby. For anyone who has never seen an online newsagent , have a look at this one.
http://gb.zinio.com/?rf=cjafftext&affId=cj&WT.mc_id=ACQ_AFF_CAT_USA_062812_ZinioGBCJ&csid=cj

I only know of it because Voie Libre, and Loco Revue use the French version of it.

My only doubt is that sales might not be high enough at the moment, but I can't find any info on how to get a magazine sold this way. Other magazines such as BRM use a similar third party , Peco seem to use one which only has their magazines, which I think is a bit of a mistake.
I prefer a real paper magazine, but the digital versions are easier to look through to find that odd piece you now want to read. Many people are scanning their own magazine collections because they have not got the space to store them, with the added bonus of being able to find things easier. A simple index, as offered by some magazines is not good enough for me. I would use each type of publication method to its best advantage.
Another advantage of the move to digital magazines, is that assuming we can get some of the now antiquated copyright laws it will be possible to get hold of old issues of magazines including those edited by Chris, obviously for a fee, which could generate more funds for magazines such as MTI.
eBooks sales are on the down turn apparently, but I am sure some here have found it useful to have some older railway books available to download.

pdbrooksburke

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: MTI 112 Golden Oldies Reply with quote

It was nice to see Julian Andrews layout in issue #112. It would be nice to see Gordon Avis layout from SMT September 1993, namely the Fairweather Branch. This was a dual mode (US and UK) layout in a space 4' by 14" . It certainly encouraged me to try a small US layout back then and brought to me a whole new enjoyment of the hobby.
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: MTI 112 Golden Oldies Reply with quote

pdbrooksburke wrote:
It was nice to see Julian Andrews layout in issue #112. It would be nice to see Gordon Avis layout from SMT September 1993, namely the Fairweather Branch. This was a dual mode (US and UK) layout in a space 4' by 14" . It certainly encouraged me to try a small US layout back then and brought to me a whole new enjoyment of the hobby.

Good call !! I'd like to see that too, as I missed it first time around, & have only seen tantalising glimpses (i.e. occasional pictures) of it since.
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRACKED wrote:
I do not think that a digital edition would actually increase readership, even if it were to prove cheaper and more convenient for overseas subscribers.

The bigger problem is that most people do not know of the existence of MTI. A lot of people in their fifties and sixties who have come back to the model railway hobby cannot even recall Scale Model Trains, and that was nationally distributed through newsagents. I only stumbled across MTI by accident while trying to find a drawing of an ex NER van.

I do not know if this is viable but has Chris considered asking if some of the book sellers who do the exhibition circuit such as Bob Pearman, if they would be willing to sell copies. Even if this generates only a few sales it would at least make MTI more visible to people.

Clive - when MTI started (a wee whilie ago!) there were 18 hobby shops in UK that distributed the magazine - currently there are six - the others have all closed!
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: MTI 112 Golden Oldies Reply with quote

pdbrooksburke wrote:

We are currently doing some "reprise layouts" - I will mention that to Chris next time I speak to him
Jack
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nothing wrong at looking back at old articles/layouts as long as you are adding something. I find a lot of inspiration looking through old magazines. We can always learn something new from history.
The folding layout is a good idea, I think it was similar to the idea of a fold out layout in a wardrobe. Someone tried to build them commercially, but don't think it worked out.
Storage is only one problem, transport for those who exhibit is possibly even more important, which is why most of my layouts use Ikea APA storage boxes.

Genetk44

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few thoughts and a question…Jack…have the international copies of 112 been put in the post yet??? If so do you know when??? Disregard this question...my copy just came through the slot.

On the subject of doing an online version of the magazine…I quite frankly really like having a hard-copy in my hand…guess I'm a Luddite in that aspic but I really don't care for reading magazines or newspapers online. I will read books on my kindle…but not on a computer or tablet.
The other problem is I find the actual technology very iffy….I've tried using the Model Rail and BRM apps to subscribe and read those two respective magazines and they have never worked for me…they just hang-up and sit there telling me they are preparing.

So lets keep the traditional hard copy of the MTI magazine going please.

Cheers
Gene
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one reason I suggested a version available online(not necessarily to read online, maybe a pdf file) is that the magazine is small enough to print at home, then you can read a hard copy. The only complex part is setting password, which is why using one of the established online newsagents is best path. I have downloaded quite a few magazines online, which can either be printed or read online.
One of the problems of marketing new ideas is that most of those asked tend to either be existing users/customers, who like the old way, but you miss the potentially large number of people who are not currently users or customers.
Just a thought, but if the Luddites had been successful, we probably would not even have a railway to talk about.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: