FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just 'cos I like it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so on a layout with points, or even just curves, Simon, but Muston Sands is a straight line through from one fiddleyard to the other. As long as the drawbar disguised as a towing chain only has vertical play in it the tractor will remain lined up correctly. I reckon it can be done but, as I say, I'm not working in On18 at present so it will have to go on the list of things to do.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the thread title says just 'cos I like it doesn't it? OK, and it's narrow gauge, and I like it. Laughing

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the latest developments in Sierra Occulta, and in particular the new tavern at Resurreccion, reminded me of this structure on my old G scale layout. Equally triangular, it was built to fit inside a sharp curve near the station at Hogwood.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a close shave at that barber shop, but probably best to wait until there's no trains due, just in case!

giles b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this one in a corner of the pc I don't often visit - a good reference for weathering a hard-working loco, not to mention the coal hopper.

giles b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for another picture, I think.

Not your average narrow gauge terminus, this. Full signalling (sited to the right of the track concerned) including shunt arms by the look of it, a double slip, and heavy traffic, with three locomotives visible. From the amount of point-rodding in the foreground it looks as if there's quite a bit more of the yard behind the photographer.

Location is in Boston, Mass. and the date....sometime around the early 1900s is my guess.

Jordan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Just found this one in a corner of the pc I don't often visit - a good reference for weathering a hard-working loco, not to mention the coal hopper.

Is that photo of the famous Edgmoor & Manetta, Giles?

Must be the first time I've seen a color picture of that line!! Thanks for posting!! Very Happy
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on, Jordan!
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on another website, pictured at a show in France. No details except it is built on an ironing board. At first I thought it was Gn15 scale, but having had a closer look I wonder if it might be 1:35 scale. The diesel appears to have been built on a Bachmann On30 trolley-car chassis.

Judging by Peco turnout lengths and the probability of a converted N gauge turntable the visible part of the layout is about 36x15 (or18) inches; a nice compact design with good shunting potential.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a whole load of ironing board layouts at Sedan last year, many on mini boards, various scales.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
cp409067

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The layout shown in Giles post above is "Oe" and was built by Bernard Junk.

CP

Portpyn 1:34
StPierre 1:34e
SuttonWharf 1:25
ParadiseMiningCo 1:25
BrinkValleyTramway 1:43.5
PyntonTramwayCo 1:43.5
PynValleyRailway 1:43.5

Exhibitions 2018

8-9 Sep: REC - PVR
20-21 Oct: Uckfield - StP
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Christopher. That puts it in perspective.

I was led astray by the rather large goods van, and the fact that I couldn't readily identify the figures. Also, I found the picture on a site for Gn15 modelling.

I saw some Magic Train items, which I think qualify as Oe, last week-end and was surprised how large it looked. I've got used to 1:48/quarter inch scale which is a bit smaller, though still O scale.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old Magic Train models are big. I think there was something in MTI a few years ago where it was suggested the locos could easily be used for 1/35th scale, as the Austrian prototypes were big for narrow gauge. I am using the MT diesels for one of my 1/35 (1/32) projects.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're a dedicated On30 modeller you may already know this website; I only found it yesterday. Packed with pictures of kitbashes and conversion ideas, it certainly bears re-visiting as new information is still being added.

Have a look on:- on30center.com (note the spelling) and enjoy!
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to update this thread, I think. For lovers of French byways, here are some shots from the CF Grande Banlieue, starting with a not-so-tramlike standard gauge train in the street.

Some kit-bashing projects just don't work! The standard gauge loading gauge has been shaved to its minimum on this loco, and also the carriages which have bodies hardly wider than their underframes. It really has the look of a metre gauge train on standard gauge tracks.

A stopping place in the country.

Last edited by giles b on Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: