FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just 'cos I like it
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Just 'cos I like it Reply with quote

For all narrow gauge fans, and particularly those who model French metre gauge........a view of Neuvic station on the Correze Tramways.

I may add more favourites here from time to time, but please feel free to add your own views of places that might inspire a layout or a model.

Last edited by giles b on Sat May 17, 2014 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite from the Correze website...pity one cannot copy the photos direct?
I just got a good feeling from the view of the timber train
giles b

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two interesting pictures there, Alastair. If I read the small print on the first one correctly it looks like the early service on the Cap Ferret tramway, before the present set-up was established. By the clothes it looks like the 1920s and at this period my notes said the line was horse powered; looks like they upgraded. The present trains on the line date from the 1950s

That tractor would be a good modelling subject (on Muston Sands, perhaps, Bob?) but would need a "pusher" carriage, I suspect.

In the second picture the nearest wagon shows how they loaded and secured the timber - something to copy in model form that would be a little bit different.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently doing some research on the metre gauge lines around Carcassonne. I bought a book on the lines(mainly postcard photos) at RAMMA last year, and I was curious as I have driven round the area. Most of the lines disappeared in the 30s so not many photos, but did find a website, and I think there is a book planned.
I might even build a small layout/diorama based on one of the lines , as most of the locos were Corpet 060s , and I suspect much of the rolling stock was standard metre gauge, possibly moving onto other lines.

Here is one of the websites
[url]cahiers.de.minerve.pagesperso-orange.fr/HTML/cdf_lezignancaunes.html[/url]
and

http://sgdelestaing.pagesperso-orange.fr/Francais/Tramway.htm

In itself not as interesting to look at as some other lines, but as the closed so early, and ran in mainly flatter countryside would be a bit different.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great website, Simon. Belpech is an interesting terminus, as drawn; no run-round facility and with the loco shed access at the blind end of the station yard. You'd have thought the two turntables might have been connected, or else there was a release cross-over that's been omitted from the plan.
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Great website, Simon. Belpech is an interesting terminus, as drawn; no run-round facility and with the loco shed access at the blind end of the station yard. You'd have thought the two turntables might have been connected, or else there was a release cross-over that's been omitted from the plan.

It does seem an odd arrangement, Giles.
If basing a model on it, I'd be more inclined to replace the two turntables with a single one, serving all the tracks; that would surely be easier to operate?

Thanks for flagging up this website, Simon, very interesting!

Simon.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting back to the Cap Ferret tramway, this is what you'd probably find there today
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my interest was the line that goes north from Carcassonne and curves eastwards and down to Olonzac. Unfortunately I have not found any plans, but hope the proposed book has more info.

giles b

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any favourites from anywhere else? This doesn't have to be an exclusively French thread.

Here's one from Turkey - the last time I saw revenue earning steam at work.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very difficult to model, other than as a static exhibit, but full of character.

Originating page URL - https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/5551042268/
Use the left hand arrow to scroll for two more pictures of the same railtour.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has to be one of the more poignant reasons for closing a railway - the horse died.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its easier to model a working tractor than a horse.
Wonder if anyone has tried using the Faller road system, as they have a tractor in range. Otherwise it might be possible to fit a very small working chassis in tractor(or in a wagon) . Its not impossible, just a challenge.
The photo above shows a 3ft 6in gauge railway(1in in O scale), so smaller narrow gauge would easily fit between wheels.

Last edited by ruedetropal on Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few motorised wagons (in On18 and Gn15).

It would be difficult to have a powered wagon propelling a tractor on Warley Fen, because the layout is terminus to fiddleyard, but Muston Sands would be a good layout to try it on. Straight track through from fiddleyard to fiddleyard so no shunting (or steering) required. The towing chain would have to be solid so that it acted as a drawbar to push the tractor ahead of the train but I'm pretty certain it could be done.

Not now though because I'm working in On30 at the moment with the new FCPyF module, but as soon as I can lay my hands on a suitable tractor... Wink

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would probably need some 'guides' fitted out of sight on tractor Maybe half a wagon, with railway wheels hidden by tractor wheels. If the tractor wheels touch ground then they will revolve.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: