FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just 'cos I like it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, Bob Smile I'd be mourning the sale of my Bourbonnais (ex-Ste Emilie) if Salop Street did not have rather short fiddle yards - using a tender loco would mean one less coach or wagon in the trains Sad
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is almost the whole of Stoney End, my last attempt at 009, back in the 1970s. The track plan was an oval with hidden sidings under the hill on the right, and with a small terminus in the middle, which had an overall roof sheltering the platform - just visible in the lower RH corner. The layout was operated as a point to point, with the continuous run (on the left) acting as a branch line to a quarry.

The loco on the quarry train (left) was a Peco Varikit, while the other had started out as a 4-6-0T with a wandering front bogie, which later was removed and the body shortened to suit; with a Minitrix chassis, it was then a good runner.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took these pictures last year on holiday in Cuba, where I'd hoped to se more of the former railways, but the reality turned out differently, as the tour reached the site of the steam train ride on the public holiday for the Liberation, so no train in operation and only a short visit to the collection of sugar mill locomotives. And the camera battery ran out.

This first one is of a loco from the Simon Bolivar mill.

At various places en-route our coach passed plinthed locomotives at road junctions. Finally, at one of the service areas there was time to take pictures of this one. To me it looks as if there was once more at the front end (2-6-0/4-6-0?) and it is a rather battered condition. I tried to measure the gauge using my shoe's length, and think it was about 3ft gauge, but still a very small locomotive, as can be seen in the second shot.

giles b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the Cuban 3ft gauge locos reminded me of my G scale models. A shame the layout only existed for two years, but it was fun while it lasted and was capable of operation by a team, which was the point of the exercise. Here are a couple of views of trains running into the town of Hogwood, and arriving at the depot. The boxcars and caboose were all adapted from Bachmann models, or scrap bits left over from other conversions, and the loco was based on a conversion by the late Derek Gigg. Working on G scale indoors meant I had to scale up my normal methods of landscape decoration, and the ballast was chicken grit while the buildings were made from foamcore board mostly overlaid with balsa planking, although some had brick walls.

Hogwood depot was a favourite. The idea came from a halt on the Keighley & Worth Valley, and looked like two garden sheds. Originally used in this form on the portable version of the C&S, I added overhanging roofs and tall tin chimneys for the mk2 layout, which suited its American setting much better. The scen is full of cameos - a young farmer is meeting a typist from the mill's office, the station agent is anxiously scanning the loading dockets for the train's conductor, and in the background life goes on around the town's general store and barber shop.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really like to have another go with full sized G scale (as opposed to Gn15) but don't have the time to start again from scratch. I frequently regret having sold Green End Quarry, compete with its entire rolling stock (1 loco, 1 wagon).

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things that attracted me to G scale was the relative ease of customising existing models, or making new ones from scratch. The Ely Thomas Lumber co provided a daily train of timber, which is seen here. The flat cars were shortened to 12 inches in length (as were all the bogie freight cars on the line) and one was given the sway-back treatment, although it hardly shows in this picture.

For variety I made another flat car into a pulpwood car. The green livery shows it belongs to the Coal Creek Lumber Co.

I also wanted a mine train, and managed to buy three small toy wagons on the internet for little more than the cost of postage. They turned out to be less useful than expected, but did provide the axle-guards and wheels for three mine "jimmies" based on a picture in an old Scale Model Trains. I did go a bit overboard on the lettering, though; I think the stated load should have been a good bit lower.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a bit of a soft spot for stations that end in turntables, like this one. Not sure of the scale - it came up on a search for On30 information, but on closer inspection I think it might be G as it appears to be out of doors.

Just how did they get the coach into that spur?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:

Just how did they get the coach into that spur?

Simplez.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had a look back at pictures of my short-lived attempt at modelling Indonesian railways c.1970. Two of the more successful conversions were the steam locos, which were slightly enlarged Black Annas. This was the first to be converted.

It does show the potential for a similar treatment to make a German narrow gauge engine. There are some cheap DR HO coaches on eBay this weekend, that could be up-scaled...........No I mustn't Confused
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go on you know you want to!.Very Happy

Regards Peter M
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Peter, I knew someone would be ready to get behind me with a pitchfork Twisted Evil Laughing Seriously, I already have three current show layouts, and rolling stock in hand for two other totally different projects (HO and OO) , so German Sn3/Sm is most unlikely to see the light of day.

Meanwhile, here's the other Indonesian loco. Wish I'd made the cab just a little lower; having a figure for a driver would have helped.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mystery, which perhaps someone can help unravel..........

This is Dorothy (ex) GWR no 725 (the name is just visible in the original picture, and was presumably acquired in industrial use). My notes - I've lost track of their origin - suggest she was built by Brush Electrical in 1905 as a saddle tank, for use in Swansea Docks, and converted to a Pannier in 1926.
I am hoping to make a "look alike" model for Goosewithiel, using one of my converted Hornby mechanisms and one of the spare Pannier bodies which are in stock. However........

this is also apparently Dorothy, and was a P&W contract shunting loco at Swansea Docks, later taken into GWR ownership. However the number 942 would suggest this is not the same loco, pre-conversion, despite the coincidence of the names being the same. A close examination of the two pictures indicates slight differences in the wheels and cylinders of the locomotives.

Another Google search for GWR loco 725 suggests that a loco with this number was used at Cardiff Docks and was a six-coupled engine.

Confusion now reigns! Can anyone shed any light, please?

[Edit] After more checking, I see I've mis-read the number-plate on the first picture. It was actually 795, but appears to have escaped the record books after its rebuild. My original photo was undated, but certainly shows the loco in more rural surroundings than Swansea.

Dorothy 942 was a Hawthorne Leslie built 1903; it eventually became BR no. 1153, and was withdrawn in 1955.
Moxy

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
A mystery, which perhaps someone can help unravel..........

This is Dorothy (ex) GWR no 725 (the name is just visible in the original picture, and was presumably acquired in industrial use). My notes - I've lost track of their origin - suggest she was built by Brush Electrical in 1905 as a saddle tank, for use in Swansea Docks, and converted to a Pannier in 1926.
I am hoping to make a "look alike" model for Goosewithiel, using one of my converted Hornby mechanisms and one of the spare Pannier bodies which are in stock. However........

this is also apparently Dorothy, and was a P&W contract shunting loco at Swansea Docks, later taken into GWR ownership. However the number 942 would suggest this is not the same loco, pre-conversion, despite the coincidence of the names being the same. A close examination of the two pictures indicates slight differences in the wheels and cylinders of the locomotives.

Another Google search for GWR loco 725 suggests that a loco with this number was used at Cardiff Docks and was a six-coupled engine.

Confusion now reigns! Can anyone shed any light, please?

[Edit] After more checking, I see I've mis-read the number-plate on the first picture. It was actually 795, but appears to have escaped the record books after its rebuild. My original photo was undated, but certainly shows the loco in more rural surroundings than Swansea.

Dorothy 942 was a Hawthorne Leslie built 1903; it eventually became BR no. 1153, and was withdrawn in 1955.

I'm not sure whether this helps or not, but 795 was an Andrew Barclay built for Powlesland & Mason in 1874. Their Brush built locos became GWR 795 & 921. I cannot find any reference to any of them being converted to pannier tank, nor any mention of any names. Do you know the date of the photo? Link below suggest most of these absorbed engines left the GWR by the end of the 1920's, so it would seem a bit pointless to convert it a pannier in 1926 only to sell it 3 or 4 years later.

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/pandm.htm

Speculation here, but perhaps 925 is not its GWR number, the number plates have come off the ex P&M Barclay? As you say, a puzzle!

Moxy
giles b

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you say, Moxy, it's a bit of a puzzle. I've mislaid the original photo of the Pannier version, but recall it was undated. I bought it at a show from a postcard dealer, so it may be in a catalogue of published photos, somewhere.

What we do know, however, is that somewhere it existed in industrial use.

We can speculate that it was likely to have been one of the Swansea locos

- on a better photo I suppose the style of the wheels or buffers might point to a certain maker (?). The bands round the ends of the cylinders are distinctive, and might point to a particular manufacturer.

- The name Dorothy on 942 was its original P&M name before it was given its first number by the GWR. If the name had been bestowed by someone at P&M (and was a family member, possibly), might the name have been transferred to another of their engines unofficially. If this was one of those disposed of at the end of the 1920s it could have taken it to its industrial owner?

- on transfer of one of the 1920s withdrawals, did the new owners ask the GWR to rebuild their newly acquired engine, and did the GWR do a full-sized kitbash with parts for two obsolete locos, so the tank and cab may have had two separate origins?

- or is the same name on two engines a total coincidence?

I'll try and locate my original photo, and hope that some of the loco's details may appear more clearly.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing to do with railways, except that I took this photo in 2009 when I last visited the Baie de Somme narrow gauge line. I found a town nearby with a factory in the process of demolition - I think it had produced ceramics, hence the artwork on one wall overlooking the street.

I wish it could have been preserved as it's a lovely period detail from, I guess the 1920/30s. Would look good in model form, and in particular in 7mm scale. Perhaps this image could be lifted and tweaked with ipiccy, or similar, to restore the bits covered in creeper.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: