FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Atlas O Scale Plymouth, DCC install.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Atlas O Scale Plymouth, DCC install. Reply with quote

The DCC bug has bitten me!!! Having got to grips with it in HO, I'm now making the happy discovery that not all O Scale locos need big, hefty O Scale DCC chips.
Here's a few pics of my decoder install of one of my Atlas Plymouths - actually one Chris Ellis used to own; it featured in the May 1981 issue of Model Trains. Cool
The job was a lot easier than I anticipated!!

I used a Digitrax DH126D, an HO/OO decoder rated at 1.5Amps & 2Amp stall. Plenty of capacity for a small O Scale loco that will only be run at slow speeds.

The motor is already isolated from the chassis "as is" - at first I thought that one pole of it took power directly from the block, but no; although the one polarity is picked up through the axles and the block, there's a wire between block and motor pole. The black wire from the chip harness went to the black pick-up wire (brass strip contacts on one side of the wheels); the red harness wire to the chassis mounting-point, 'rear Fireman's side' of the chassis block. Orange & grey wires go from the chip to the motor.

The decoder is held in place with a double-sided sticky pad. It's neat & small & fits nicely in the Fireman's position (I have an Engineer in place on the other side of the cab!) Wiring for the rear light & a beacon feed into the cab. As it's only a 2-function decoder, I've wired both headlights (warm white LEDs) to F0F(white lead) and a roof beacon (red LED) to F0R(yellow lead). the blue lead is the 'common return' for the lights, and it's this lead the LED resistors are wired to as well. I have function-mapped (sorry to get technical!!) the yellow lead to F3, and set the CV's so the beacon flashes, and the headlights are non-directional, i.e. on continuously both ways; not uncommon for a Switcher anyway.

With the cab in place, the decoder is hardly visible from eye-level -

... although it is from a higher vantage point. Maybe a bit of black paint will help disguise it - like it did the chassis block!!

Apart from being literally almost as old as me, this loco has quite a 'history' of it's own now, just like any real old engine. It still bears the "FWR" markings Chris gave it (for "Fair Weather Railway") and some of the modifications Chris gave it; I added my own 'Portway Terminal' name, repaired the front handrail, and fitted Kadee couplers. I like to think of this DCC install as just a new chapter in the history of a long-serving & faithful old engine... Laughing
Dudley

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: DCC controller Reply with quote

Hello Jordan,
Just out of idle curiosity, what DCC controller do you use/ recommend please?

Dudley
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCE Powercab.
I chose it partly because it is very good for programming - takes you through step by step, more or less in English. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: