FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New dockyard layout
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

progress going well. Received another Miniart building kit so decided to extend warehouses.

water to be added to harbour, after base gunge has dried. I wanted the ship to be on a level with dockyard

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, Simon. Trying to wok out operational possibilities - is the fiddle yard on the left hand end, or do the right hand tracks (also?) go through the end of the box?
The coaster looks promising. Is it the one that was on eBay recently? I was tempted but couldn't think of when I'd get to use one. Seems like I may have been wrong to leave it!
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how I am going to work layout, except for the auto shuttle on top line. It was a case of how much inset track I could fit in, and leave space for the ship and some WW2 road vehicles.
It would have made sense to have front siding facing other way, but wasn't quite enough room.
The coaster is the one on ebay, modified. Apart from the hull, it is not that good,but I would have struggled to scratch-build a hull, hence why I used cabin etc from the tug boat. I plan to use the hull from the tugboat for another project, so no waste.

Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the front siding the way it is, it looks like an opportunity to me to do some chain-shunting, to pull the wagon into that siding with the loco still on the 'main' track, if you see what I mean?
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where the front siding curves, I intend to put in a dummy point, suggesting the line continues on along the dockside. The short section could then be used to store a loco, or an odd wagon. Chain shunting would be nice, but a bit complex for this project.
One intention of the layout is to show off my 3D printed inset track, the more the merrier.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching back to HO module. Track wired up and semi fixed down. Need to glue down non track pieces. The siding at front is dummy and ill be partly covered by typical dockyard bits.

The locking mechanism on Peco point has been removed, as clearance under infill is virtually zero. A PL12 unit is then attached to lock point and allow remove operation(finger through backscene.
To cover the PL12 the buildings have been moved around

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no photos as almost completed . Buildings to be fixed down, wiring to be soldered up on Monkey Island, then plash some water and paint round to weather them down, add figures and odd bits.
Got to wait for the harbour water to dry!
I plan to photo both then, assuming no problem, and use them to advertise my 3D printed tram track as well as exhibiting them.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isle de Singe(HO module) , in a state that it can be photographed for publicity.

The palm tree was an afterthought, as I had a pack for another project. Still might add some more figures, but I recon market is just packing up, its lunchtime, hence only a few people still clearing up. Its a tight squeeze for the railcar!

I plan to do articles on both modules, and some of the novel methods used, and of course to show off my 3D printed trackwork. Colour is important.

Here is a Black and white version, and sepia version for comparison.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No layout is ever complete, but Monkey Island is now at the stage here it can be put to one side. Everything works OK. Need to build what might be described as fiddle yards for both modules. The water is not dry yet, but best to leave that out of the way to dry. It also looks a bit green in photos, but better in reality. I might muddy it a bit when it is dry.
here is a photo

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like I might have to build another(not a replacement though) dockyard mini layout, as I have not only started designing the wagon turntables , but also a OO9 version of tram track including dual gauge with 16.5mm gauge.
I have also found resin model of a traditional fishing boat in tight scale, without having to take out a mortgage.
Apart from the track I think I have the pieces necessary, but I have lots of other projects on the go so not sure when this ill start. Also depends on quality of test samples of turntables and OO9 track.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come up with another dockyard idea. This is based on a micro plan seen on another forum.
Originally the plan was only 22in long, but I have lengthed it slightly to 24in, but it could be stretched again to fit in an APA box(I still have a few).

To increase interest I added a couple of my own wagon turntables.
I am thinking of a traditional Lancashire mill area, with red brick buildings, which might give me a chance to try some laser cut kits(although I would like to slightly modify the brick bond to that used for NORI brick)

This is from the 3D design I produced on my CAD program

I might mirror the plan. A sector plate will be used behind the scene to link the 2 front lines to the rear fiddle line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: