FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boat models and modelling articles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Boat models and modelling articles Reply with quote

Some discussion has started in this Forum on the subject of maritime models. Having stated that these were of interest as they were rather rare, I happened to pick up a random collection of old copies of Scale Model Trains - and found five such articles in four issues! For those whose magazine collections may not go back so far - or as a reminder for those who have these copies on their shelves, the references are:-

Boats for Brightbury - Alisdair Reid SMT January 1995 (conversion of Airfix MTB kit to pleasure boat/small ferry + other boats)

Train Ferry Hydro - Jan Hein Hedegaard SMT February 1995 (N gauge model)

The Vital Spark, a Clyde Puffer - Neil Macmillen SMT March 1995 ("How To" step-by-step construction article)

Vierfuss - Chris Ellis. (a TT harbour-side layout set on the Baltic coast featured a small train ferry in February 1995 and some small motor and sailing fishing boats appropriate to the region in May 1995)

All these magazines are still available according to the small ad in the latest MTI. Not yet traced in my collection - an article featuring a small coaster or steam tug, and a much more recent article describing models of a car ferry (ex-landing craft) and a tanker-barge.
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTI has also covered canal narrowboats with drawings, which I found very useful when I built a butty (or "joey") in O scale. Idea
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not so much the historical info , plenty of pics on internet, but if someone was to produce a generic fitting pack for boats in 1/76 then that would be great. I am sure Langley used to sell bits, but only at exhibitions, and they don't tend to come up our way these days.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just got hold of the Revell tugboat kit, as a reasonable price. It is 1/108 scale so a bit small, but I am only interested in some of the boat fittings, as I can use the rest for another bigger scale project.
There are some 1/72 scale boat kits but they are a bit too expensive. I have one of the Lindberg Shrimp boat kits in 1/60, but that is for another project. I might be able use some parts though. Getting another of these kits would be desirable but again they are not cheap.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cabin etc of the tug are just the right size, once shortened, and look a lot better than the vac formed original part, despite being a smaller scale. A scattering of various fitting gives the deck a more purposeful look, although some boat rivet counter will point out it is not correct.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is latest picture of ship I am building. Bottom half is from vac formed kit for Clyde Puffer, cabin and bits are from Revell tugboat kit.

Not sure about mast yet, as I would then have to add rigging. One reason why I am using idea that ship suffered damage in Dunkirk evacuation, or could only be used on waterways with restricted headroom.

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going through my magazine collection I came across a copy of Model Railway News for May 1950. In it were some small ship drawings by P.D.Hancock. They're too good not to pass on.

Sorry the scan doesn't come out too well and the other won't stick in place at all. If anyone is interested pm me and I'll try and send it as an email outside this site.

CRACKED

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is looking for drawings of small ships, I would recommend these by C V Waine

Steam Coasters and Short Sea Traders,

British Steam Tugs,

The Steam Collier Fleets

They do not have many photographs, but a fair number of general arrangement drawings, and other general information.

For eye witness accounts of life in these coastal vessels
Old Time Steam Coasting by Owen G Spargo & Thomas H Thomason is worth reading
gwyn1946

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: model boat kits Reply with quote

A company called Model Slipway produce two kits in 1/72 scale(near enough for OO/HO?) a Clyde puffer and a steam drifter,these are vacform kits for radio control so have full hulls.
these do make up into very nice models and at 42.00 & 49.00 are excellent value,way cheaper than the resin models!Check out their website.
If you have a couple of inches depth of water on your layout! intentionaly of course! it could be the start a whole new hobby??? Laughing
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I had seen that steam drifter I might have been tempted. Will have to build another dockyard layout sometime.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this on ebay. worth checking 200 military wargaming
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361064035485?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Made by company called Frontline, but their website only has lists plus a few photos, so not that obvious.
Also check out the WOW war damaged buildings at this site, as they are pretty impressive. Just trying to work out how to include them in a small layout.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boat received today, very good, especially for the money. The wheelhouse is a separate(but solid) casting so you can always build your own. Now I need to build another harbour module. This one will include my OO gauge wagon turntables and some OO9 inset track.

CRACKED

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Free 1/72 ship models Reply with quote

I have just come across these card models available as a free download. These may be useful when setting out a scene.

http://www.marinemodelmagazine.com/article.aspx?a=6053
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, interesting.
Great thing about these card designs is that they can easily be modified or rescaled, and have useful info about fittings etc. They can also be used as templates for more solid construction, eg plastic.
Needless to say I have downloaded them for future consideration

shortliner2001

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are card models and might be useful

http://www.mdk-verlag.de/schiffe2.htm for I:87 scale cargo and container ships in card - In German I'm afraid!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: