FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Introducing 'Up-cycle' - A MicrO-9 Project
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colpeake

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Introducing 'Up-cycle' - A MicrO-9 Project Reply with quote

I'm very short on space about the house and my workbench lives in a walk-in bedroom cupboard, aka the 'Railway Cupboard', aka the 'Tardis'. Over the years various schemes have been sketched up to get a working bit of railway in there but most were just too daft to actually build, or would compromise space somewhat. Last month I pictured the workbench in a rare, tidy moment:

This month it's a bit different:

Read more about it here: http://o9modeller.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/introducing-up-cycled-micro-9-project.html

All comments and questions welcomed... Smile

Colin

My blog: http://www.o9modeller.blogspot.com - Modelling 15" gauge railways in 7mm scale

Last edited by colpeake on Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good start Colin, I will follow this with interest.

You have an impressively tidy workshop.

Peter
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good start, Colin, although I was worried as to where you would work until I saw the picture of the layout in storage mode. Looking forward to seeing this one develop. Meanwhile, can we please see more detail of the home-made Loco-lift?

Wish I had a shop near me that sold hockey stick moulding (presumably your J-shaped piece of wood) for 20p Smile
colpeake

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadoak wrote:
A good start Colin, I will follow this with interest.

You have an impressively tidy workshop.

Peter

Thanks, but trust me - it isn't usually that tidy!

giles b wrote:
Looks like a good start, Colin, although I was worried as to where you would work until I saw the picture of the layout in storage mode. Looking forward to seeing this one develop. Meanwhile, can we please see more detail of the home-made Loco-lift?

Wish I had a shop near me that sold hockey stick moulding (presumably your J-shaped piece of wood) for 20p Smile

Thanks Giles. I will try and get a close up the cassette, it is one of the ones I usually use in the fiddle yard of 'Shifting Sands' and it's inclusion here actually relates to an early version of the plan, it was planned that this would be an O9 shed scene, however the plan is now for lower-key scenic work.

Alas the shop I bought the hockey stick moulding from no longer has a bargain bin of offcuts.... I must have had the piece 10 years!

Colin
colpeake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Giles and anyone else who wanted to see it closer up, here is the loco cassette:

The black parts are all 60 thou styrene, The base is 34mm wide, and the overall length is 150mm. On the base sits some cheap Italian track - note the brass strips soldered outside the rails to help locate the cassette in place correctly. Either side of the track are strips of 60 thou, leaving a rebate along each side to take the sides. The join is re-enforced with 80 x 156 Evergreen strip. At the far end the end is enclosed, and the base stops short of the full length, a quirk of how they fit on 'Shifting Sands'. The brass handles are Araldited in place.

I built these units to allow "virtual" running around in the fiddle yard of 'Shifting Sands' without handling the locomotives, also for loco changeovers. It would be good if Peco could produce a 9mm gauge 'loco lift' suitable for narrow gauge stock...

Colin

My blog: http://www.o9modeller.blogspot.com - Modelling 15" gauge railways in 7mm scale
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the picture and explanation, Colin. Much food for thought there for use with other scales.
colpeake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Thanks for the picture and explanation, Colin. Much food for thought there for use with other scales.

Thinking on further, the fiddle yard sector plate on my OO box file was a similar structure, but 80 thou styrene if I remember correctly:

Colin
colpeake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst planning 'Up-cycle' my thoughts were alternating between a scene that could definitely be linked thematically to 'Shifting Sands', i.e. another part of the Somerthorpe Miniature Railway; or a generic scene that could be anywhere on a 15" railway.

My first thoughts were for a shed scene, the "other shed" that must exist somewhere on the SMR as the sheds at 'Shifting Sands' are not that large:

Read more on the my thought process here: http://o9modeller.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/up-cycle-some-thoughts-on-setting.html

Colin

Broadoak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look and feel of the top sketch, will the water tower be constructed of cast plates bolted together?

I must admit I have something of a soft spot for engine servicing facilities.

Peter
colpeake

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadoak wrote:
I like the look and feel of the top sketch, will the water tower be constructed of cast plates bolted together?
Peter

Hi Peter, if this version got built (the current plan is still the lower-key treatment), the tank would be a 'fuel cube' sat on legs, as used by many 15" lines.

Colin
colpeake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing with uncoupling magnets over the Christmas break, after some experimentation with the genuine MicroTrains product I have evolved my own from magnets bought from Squires. Here they can be seen both before and after installation:

You can read more about them, and see pictures of them in action, on the latest update to O9 Modeller: http://o9modeller.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/up-cycle-uncoupling-magnets.html

Just to encourage those who think I might still be looking at the shed scene option (I'm still undecided), this would be the dummy point used on the line going under the shed door:

This is a mixture of parts (rail/blades/'pivot' sleeper) from an old Bemo point, a Peco point sleeper and some coffee stirrers. If it is used it will gain some rail fixings, at the moment it is simply superglued together...

Colin

colpeake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been a slight change of plan as to how this project will look once completed. After experiencing a few issues with the right-hand point that led to the front siding (all due to it's slightly battered beginnings and my attempts to correct it) I looked again at what this project should achieve in the way of being a test track rather than a micro layout.

I set out the following new objectives:
    Some 16.5 mm gauge track to at least allow rolling road block testing..
    A length of un-ballasted 9 mm gauge track to allow rolling road block testing.
    Low-key scenic treatment on part of the board to use for photographic purposes.
    The ability to shunt a few wagons about as the mood takes.

So there has been a change to the track layout:

The pit that accommodated the loco cassettes from 'Shifting Sands' has gone, filled in with balsa wood, all gaps around the joins in the cork were filled with decorator's flexible filler and the whole area painted with blackboard paint borrowed from the craft cupboard. This area is the 'test' area, the other part will receive scenic treatment. The area around the point could go either way at present, we shall see what develops!

The MG Models tram tries out the new trackwork:

I've picked up some Slater's brick sheet from a model shop today, hopefully this will allow some walling to be constructed to go along the back of the scenic part.

Colin
Roger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good objectives there Colin - I like it!

I am & sure will, be following this closely

Roger

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook.
colpeake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made some progress on a brick wall to sit along the back right-hand end. Having had a wander around the canalside industrial area behind my workplace and taken a few reference photos on my phone (backed up with Google Earth) I had a good idea of what I wanted to build, I wanted a bricked-up gateway with a replacement smaller gate, plus a length of buttressed wall to the side - I didn't want a plain wall as it would be one of the main features of the scene.

More details here: http://o9modeller.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/all-in-all-its-just-up-cycle.html

Colin
colpeake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The walls are now structurally complete, pillars have had their corners neatened up and mortar lines taken around the corners. The gate has been completed with posts, planking and a latch:

If you follow the link to the blog, you can see how this dodgy sketch fits in with the story:

More here: http://o9modeller.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/hiding-end-of-line-up-cycle-pt4.html

Colin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: