FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this the future? (Shellsea Harbour)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try the double-folding-hinge on one of my previous layouts - Stratford Waterside, I think. This used piano hinges along the sides of the baseboard to support a raised side piece which could fold down out of sight when operating the layout, and paste-table hinges for the fold-over. I found the combination of hinges made for floppiness, which did not improve as the layout got older and travelled around more.

In truth I suspect one needs a rather solid centre point on which to hang the hinges; but you're quite right, Alastair, a pair of tall structures opposite one another in the middle of the layout is not totally ideal. I have an idea that might make it possible to have the hinge flaps lower while keeping the pivot point as high as possible, but I'll have to wait to test my theory until the boards are built.

If the worst comes to the worst - there's no need to have the boards hinged together at all. They could merely be placed face-to-face for travelling and held in place by a piece of ply at each end. This was a bit cumbersome with some of my designs in the past, but with two boards measuring 30x12 inches it would be much easier and only add a couple of minutes to the set-up/tear down timings.

The card model inspired several new ideas. If the baseboards are to fold, the fiddle yard will need to be a little shorter than the town board, so that the radius of the top of the back-scene does not catch the inner top of the other end when the other end flips over for storage. It also means that buildings along this wall are merely flats, and the station's overall roof needs to stand away from the end board.
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan wrote:
Years ago I added hinges to the front hinge on an HO layout of mine, "Holden, Stroud County" (which was in MTI's #9 & 10) so that it folded forwards out of the line of sight. I meant for it to fold right over but didn't quite make it good enough to do that.
Jack Shortliner developed the idea on paper to use split hinges to make the main part removable - it would've been an interesting bit of engineering if actually made.

It certainly was made, and worked very well - and in two versions - a high one and a low one - I'm fairly sure there are pics of both on Carls site - but I don't have time to go hunt at the moment. The big advantage was that the hinge in the lowered (opened) position was completely removable
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops! One of the pieces of rolling stock I've acquired for Shellsea is a Dapol horsebox body that someone had partially repainted in Southern green. Wanting it in a different version, I found I still had some ancient brake fluid so put the body in a bath of the liquid. The paint on one end came off nicely, but I left one side in too long and it's been stripped back to the underlying plastic. Well, at least age has not impaired the fluid's efficiency. I must do some research on horseboxes to find out who it might belong to (if not the original LMS).
giles b

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've acquired a Southern goods van, possibly built from a Ratio kit. It is the style with uneven planks. I can only find pictures of evenly planked vehicles on the web, so can anyone help me with a building date and running number for the 1920-30 period, please?

On another note (and not on my workbench) I've just taken delivery of a Hornby 0-4-0 mechanism that has been tweaked by Eastham Works and provided with new gears as described a while ago in RM and also on the Gn15 web forum. The result is absolutely superb and I'm having another done to use on my Shellsea project.

The article dealt with the conversion of a Saddle Tank, and it turns out that the GWR 101 models have a different motor which doesn't work with this conversion.

I'll post pictures here later today.
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Giles
I don't think the uneven planked SR vans were built until the mid-to-late '30s although as I'm not at home I can't check that in my wagon books.
Regards,
Simon.
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Eastham Works

Who might these be, Giles?
giles b

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alastair,

Check out the small ads in the back of MTI for details of Eastham Works.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon Hargraves wrote:

I don't think the uneven planked SR vans were built until the mid-to-late '30s although as I'm not at home I can't check that in my wagon books.

Thanks for that, Simon. If you can confirm in due course, I'd be grateful. Looking at the pictures of the evenly planked vans, their door arrangement does look as if it was the mk1 version!

Perhaps I'll have to shift the layout's period on a few years. That might also help with the selection of possible Terriers that might be "on hire" to the tramway, though I was hoping for a date c.1925 as SR scrapped a loco that year that was still in Marsh Umber livery
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Giles.....

Do you think there is a small market for a fold-up [itched?] kit , for a new gearbox/motor mount for the Hornby chassis?
giles b

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
Do you think there is a small market for a fold-up [itched?] kit , for a new gearbox/motor mount for the Hornby chassis?

I have to confess that as I didn't do the work on the Hornby conversion I'm not sure how easy (or not) the work is. Personally I'm always a little uncomfortable about working in metal - I'm definitely plastic-hacker - but there may be others with more ability than me out there. I should put the question to a wider audience.

However I can at least vouch for the effectiveness of the conversion, but as it's described it only seems to work with the motors in saddle tank locos. The side tank engines appear to have a motor with a large plastic bearing on the front which makes the work difficult without moving the motor towards the rear and thus into the open cab area. Having got rid of my cylinder-less 0-4-0s I can't remember which type of motor they have. If it turns out there are three different motor types, this might diffuse your market somewhat.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on the subject of SR vans, some research today confirms the unevenly planked vans did not get built until the early 1930s. In consequence I've gone for a Cambrian kit of an ex-SECR van from c.1919 which fits my chosen time-frame better. I've also discovered that Smallbrook Studios do a resin body of a pre-WW1 LBSC van which would also work. Luckily both types can be found on the Bluebell Rly, whose website includes numbering and Tare details.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two fine Wednesdays running, so I've been able to do a bit of outdoor carpentry which saves time with the clean-up. The result is an all-but-finished set of folding baseboard frames for the Shellsea layout. I hope to get the ply tops on at the week-end.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For this layout I've used a new (to me at least) method of baseboard construction. Because of a quayside at the front of each of the two boards, and also a creek running across one of them I thought it might be easier to make the frame from two layers of thinner timber than I would normally use; in this case measuring 25x10.5mm. The bottom layer is made the size of the complete baseboard, while the top layer is the track-bed and scenic area. What's left is the watery areas.

Construction was fast as there was no need to fret out the framework for the "sea", and it's all butt joints. The pillars for the central hinges could also be attached to the top cross-piece before it was fitted to the rest of the frame, which made it easier to keep everything square. Hopefully the pictures will show what I mean.

This is the left-hand end with the commercial quayside let into the front edge. The fiddle yard will be situated along the rear of this board.

The town end of the layout with the ferry quay in the foreground.

Close-up of the folding section, with the creek running to the old inner harbour to the right of the hinges.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the tops on a couple of days ago - some nice al-fresco carpentry down by the garden shed, followed by an indoor session sticking down the cork track-bed. Luckily the very old floor tile glue still worked fine. Today I had a couple of spare hours to transfer the track plan onto the baseboard. Turns out the bendiness of the card mock-up was a little misleading and some of the clearances on the left-hand board are a bit tighter than was hoped for. On the other hand I've managed to fit in two small radius turnouts in place of a couple of Y points, without, I think, compromising the shunting possibilities.

Track-laying planned for Tuesday with pictures to follow.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quayside!!!! maybe some inset track?

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: