FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this the future? (Shellsea Harbour)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's progress saw the track laid.
First view is the layout with the two fiddle yard tracks on the left. The backscene will actually run above the more central track which will be within the warehouses.
The station can be seen in the distance.

The other shot shows the trench that will be Old Town Creek, probably bridged by the Wills Victorian cast-iron bridge.
The solenoid will be covered by a shed. Nowhere to hide the solenoids on the other board, so they're below the track.
The building hiding the nearer hinge post (Shellsea Fisheries) is being re-designed and the siding will now enter the building.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good. Presume the track is just going to be ballasted, not inset. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Also it is good to see the folding layout idea again, but I would be worried by those hinges, as the screws might split the wood along the grain. Having said that, probably better that way round than grain going other way, as long as screws are long enough.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Simon, I was thinking more of ballasted track with boarded crossings.

Good point about the screws into end-grain. If I had not put the tops on and laid the track I could do something to make matters a bit better Rolling Eyes
At present it feels strong enough. Last time, on Ste Emilie, it took ten years of exhibition use to make the hinged joints wobbly, so if I get that long with these I'll be well pleased.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re the screws? If in doubt, pour in a blob of PVA wood glue before screwing screw into the screw holes....
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, Alastair. I'll wait to do that until the wiring work is complete as I want to use the hinges to pass the "feed" current across the baseboard gap. Having a set of points to take into account has made this a bit more complicated, but I think I've worked out which wire goes where. Just need some time with a soldering iron to finish it all off.

On the rolling stock front I managed to pick up a Hornby L&Y pug recently with an easily reversible conversion to 7mm narrow gauge. I have a spare Pug cab so can put that back - however when I get the body off to see what's under the saddle tank, I may go for a side or pannier tank - aiming for a generic industrial type of engine. The saddle tank needs new boiler fittings anyway, so it's never going to be an exact replica of its original state.

Also been looking at the three yellow Hornby tramway coaches. I think one will end up with the centre windows replaced with a luggage compartment with double doors. The idea came from the original coach on the Wootton Tramway. There are also a couple of newer Hornby four-wheeled coaches to work on; my thoughts are turning to back-dating these to around 1850/60-era, with a flatter roof profile. For those days the three compartment layout would be less surprising, making them into something like the early coaches on the West Somerset Mineral Railway. Another option would be to remove the doors from the centre compartment to create a saloon coach.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason I was thinking this was going to be bogie stock only. If you are thinking earlier period with short coaches and wagons then wagon turntables would be commonly used, sometimes even for passenger coaches.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason I was thinking this was going to be bogie stock only. If you are thinking earlier period with short coaches and wagons then wagon turntables would be commonly used, sometimes even for passenger coaches.

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple but strong way of fixing down through the end grain is as follows:-

giles b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruedetropal wrote:

Simon, I've come across turntables or traversers being used to gain access to carriage sheds, but this doesn't apply at Shellsea Harbour.

Mike, Another good idea. I hadn't thought of that before.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on period, they even had turntables on mainline. I have seen photo of French station with small turntables on main line.
And although I am trying to plug my wagon turntables, they do add some extra shunting moves.
I think I have even sussed out how to uncouple without hand from sky. Adapted the idea of small blades of grass, but using something which might be more industrial. Will take some fine control driving though. Not something done while trying to talk to visitors at exhibition. Still need to test more.

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the last week I've had a couple of wiring sessions, and today a Terrier ran from end to end on the layout. The next step will be to add the back-scene, as this will support most of the section switches. What has taken the time is the complications of taking two tracks from one turnout across the folding join in the baseboard, with the desire to preserve the self-isolating properties on the far side. Despite taking care there always seemed to be a short length without power, and one needs to work out carefully which wire needs to be tapped into, in order to feed the dead section. Just the loco dead ends and two solenoids to add into the wiring at the next session, so that will be much easier. I'm also adding back-up micro-switches to the turnouts.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds too complex for me Giles. From experience keeping it simple results in better running at exhibitions. I only use dead frog points which have had wires added so not dependent on power going through blades. I also prefer wire in tube instead of point motors. And then I use a PL12 unit on side, so if there is a problem I don't have to dig up point. Does mean have to think twice about positions of points.

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quick look at the work in progress on a couple of vehicles for the Shellsea Tramway. The first is a composite/luggage tramway coach. The idea is loosely based on the original coach on the Oxford & Aylesbury Tramway (Brill branch in later days). Simon - don't worry this Tri-ang coach had some bad damage - on the far side of this shot - so would have been of no interest to a collector. I've got another two, in better condition (thanks, Bob), but they're also destined for a liitle work, notably the balcony ends and some new buffers, some of which are missing.

The second oddity is the tramway's brake-van-cum-fish truck. After passenger complaints about fishy smelling luggage the company had to come up with a better solution, and the fish boxes are now stacked on the open verandahs of the brake. The idea is, as far as I can recall, based on memory of a picture of a GWR 6-wheeled fish-truck, here suitably adapted to use junk-box bits.

Last edited by giles b on Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:27 am; edited 2 times in total
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

those Swizz Triang Hornby coaches are difficult to find. Collectors will be upset Rolling Eyes

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bu&&er collectors.

These are toys, they were made to be played with. Anyway, chopping up rare collectors' items only makes the remaining ones even rarer, so worth more to the collectors that have them stashed away on dusty shelves instead of enjoying playing trains.

Play on Giles. Have fun. Laughing

PS - I like that "centre cab" toad. Might have to pinch that idea. Wink

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: