FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this the future? (Shellsea Harbour)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
If I limit my exposure to Wimbledon, I have a couple of days free this week.

Just one of many reasons to avoid Wimblebore
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the lighting rig. Complete but not quite finished - I don't like the gloss finish and must get some eggshell or matt black paint later. Originally the rig was for a layout 4ft 6ins long, but as Shellsea is about 9ins longer I had to make a couple of open boxes and bolt them onto the outer "bus stop" poles. The lighting box merely hangs between the uprights, supported by an L bracket at either end.

View of the top of the bus stop pole, showing the open box bolted on (No 6 machine screws 30mm long)

The bus stop, clamped to the baseboard support. The outer pair have been made off-centre, so as to fit the layout onto a 6ft table at shows.

In these pictures the layout is set up on a smaller table, which is why the uprights are not at the end of the scenic area.

The top of the bus stop.

Extension box bolted in place. It has been set back a little as tests showed that this would extend the lit area to the back-scene. The height is set such that the bottom of the lighting box cuts off the top of the main back-scene for the average viewer.

Close up of the baseboard support. The uprights are held with small clamps, though more bolts could have been used. I happened to have the clamps in stock, and they are faster to assemble and make adjustments possible.

The end of the lighting box showing the L bracket, and also the lettering. This was produced by painting the box white, adding Lettraset 50mm lettering which is then painted over in black. Once this is dry the letters can be carefully peeled off and used again.

The inside of the box with the strip lights and a lining of kitchen foil to act as a reflector.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first of the ex-Triang tramway coaches (now a luggage 1st/3rd composite) is finished, apart from couplings, and another just needs the end railings to be added. With their dropped balconies and cast buffers they look much longer than their original state. The last of the trio will be another 3rd class saloon.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are lovely. If the viewer didn't know their origin it would be hard to guess.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you, if anyone, should recognise them, Bob. Many thanks. It's just taken me a bit longer than was expected to get them this far. It's the dropping of the end platforms - although by only about 2mm - that seems to make the main difference.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just managed to get my hands on a Bachmann Union Salt wagon. I see it has a steel underframe, which I find surprising, given the potentially corrosive nature of the load. Drawings in MTI for another firm's wagons suggest a wooden underframe might have been used, which is backed up by a picture of a derelict wagon abandoned in a salt works, found after some quick Googling. There is also a picture of a preserved Saxa wagon in a Scottish museum, this one with a steel underframe, although comments elsewhere suggest this is a rebuilt hybrid for exhibition and not the original underframe.

Can anyone back up my leaning towards a wooden chassis? I have a van that can benefit from the model's steel underframe, as well as a spare wooden underframe kit, so a swap would be no problem.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a little spare time for modelling today, so I had a go at putting Kadee couplers into a Hornby 0-4-0 saddle tank. Have to admit it was a bit scary as I had to cut off the Hornby coupling loops (luckily soft plastic) in the hope of success mounting the new couplings. If it didn't work the chassis would be fairly useless.

The work involves cutting the couplings and the end wall of the chassis box off, and smoothing out the floor of the resulting open end. Styrene packing can then be glued in place to bring the couplers up to the correct height (a different amount at each end, surprisingly), before fixing the Kadee box with 2mm diameter self tapping screws. Because the body has a metal footplate I will have to cut away the section between the front buffers, where the box protrudes a little. If I can get the cutting dome tomorrow, I'll take some pictures.

The body came from an eBay job lot, and is in a blue industrial livery. It has also had a stovepipe chimney added, which improves the look. I always have a problem with mixing blue paints, but this time found two pots that when mixed were almost exactly the right colour.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pictures to go with the post above, starting with a look at the modifications to the front end of the chassis. As the base of the Hornby coupling also carries the guard irons, I had to leave part of it in place and the coupler box screws on top. At present the coupler is a medium centre-set, but I may need to change the coupler once running tests have been completed.

At the other end the fitting is easier as there's more room; you can see the packing pieces under the coupler box.

The metal footplate turned out quite easy to cut with a slitting disc and file.

View with the body fitted. I will glue a thin piece of styrene over the gap in the buffer beam later.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salt wagon has a new chassis - Cambrian parts for a PO wagon by Gloucester C&W Co.

and the L&Y Pug has new cab sides, in an attempt to make it look industrial. Waiting for couplings to arrive before adding buffers.
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like this layout very much.
Everything about it is just right, from the buildings to the locos and rolling stock.

It's superb.

Peter
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very kind, Peter, and high praise indeed considering your own achievements. Many thanks.

Not much new to photograph. As I've finished putting Kadees on the basic stock roster, I'd better sort out the partitions in the stock trays next.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles, as I mentioned before, I have been looking through old magazines for inspiration and scale drawings.
In MTI and earlier ones, you have had so many different layouts, some of which have very similar ideas to what you are working on now. Even British HO.
I dug out the magazine with the SCATs drawing. I think Icould use it as a basis for 3D printing. I fact I have found far too many possible projects I am starting to feel a bit overwelmed.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock tray done - all the rolling stock for Shellsea (with the exception of the Terriers) fits into one tray, which may stop me adding more wagons!

Meanwhile, I've made a start on converting a Terrier to an A1X, as anything coming from the SR would have been converted by 1923. I think I've settled on 633 (Preston) which in reality was stored at Brighton and was scrapped in 1925. Shellsea's history has it being repainted in olive green in 1924 and leased to the tramway company.

As a contrast I'll be using a Terrier in original condition as Edge Hill no. 2, acquired by the Shellsea line when the EHLR closed. This will appear in blue, the tramway's loco livery.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to let the Shellsea loco fleet catch up with the rolling stock.

The Southern Terrier has been turned out as an A1X, no. B678. This was Knowle, and in reality the years 1926 to 1929 saw her stored in the Brighton paint shop, before being given a repaint and a longer bunker and sent to the Isle of Wight. Instead, I've put her in SR livery and hired to the Tramway in 1926, until the IOW calls.

One of the old Tramway locos is No. 3 - a repaint of a Hornby saddle tank, which has been re-geared. Much to my surprise, I managed to match the colour of the original paint scheme, as I wanted to take out another owner's name on the saddle tank.

The Tramway's Terrier was never rebuilt so is still an A1; its new owners have given it a lick of paint but this time I missed the colour, and will have to try again. This shade looks far too modern for the mid-1920s. When it's finished, I wonder if it will pass the "I can't believe it's not Thomas" test.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After trying another couple of paint mixes, I've come to the conclusion that should have hit me straightaway - a Terrier painted blue is just.... WRONG!
Sense having prevailed, it now has a basic mid-green coat (a bit like the FYN loco on the IOW). I may finish this off as the faded livery of its previous owner; it will then need black outlining for the tank and cab and EHLR lettering - or so I believe.

Meanwhile on a parallel note, the loco livery for my 1870-era locos is now set as Stroudley Claret, which is actually a slightly brownish Maroon. This suits the saddle tank and also the Hornby GW 0-4-0T, which has had a bit of cosmetic intervention with parts of a Triang "Polly" spliced in and, the latest addition, a brass Kirtley-style safety valve cover. To make this look better, the dome has been moved forward a little.

I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow on the appropriate site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: