FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this the future? (Shellsea Harbour)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue is ok for KESR ,Giles
http://www.ehattons.com/stocklistdatabase/74912/Dapol_7S_010_006_Class_A1_Terrier_0_6_0_Bodiam_in_KESR_blue/StockDetail.aspx

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know, Simon. Very nice but hard to photograph, so I was looking for something a bit lighter. Maybe part of the problem was that the paints I have only seem to mix up to a hard chemical blue, not the softer tones that were available in the 1920s when painters mixed up the paint for each job (I think).
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ionly use water based paints now. Once surface is primed(flat grey is best), then even emulsion will stick. Washing on thin coats till it looks right. Granted I tend to be looking for a run down appearence.

giles b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Simon, we seem to have got our lines crossed. My point about the shade of blue (mixed from acrylic paints, by the way) was that it looked to me like a modern colour produced from chemicals rather than whatever was in use in former times. At all events, it's academic now, as I'm happy with the present colour. Just need to touch in some of the over-painted splashes and pick out the pipework.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the science of paints is complex. I was playing round with some eco friendly paints a few years ago.They were produced from natural sources, came in powdered form, and were not cheap(well not if you wanted to cover a large area). I was actually trying to get a range of different greens for folliage, for my artwork, but could be useful for scenary. Anyway, however I mixed extra blue and yellow, I just could not get the colour I wanted, because the base ingredient for the paint was grey.
In the end I gave up and bought cheap matchpots of emulsion from local Wilkinsons(balancing carbon footprint of buying in a local shop compared to ordering what actually was produced in Germany).
I have found these work well on a well primed base, but trick is to wash paint on, not brush it on thickly. I do still use acyllics,but only because I still have some(well quite a lot actually), but find the emulsion goes on far easier.
For a primer I did have some grey from an office supply shop. As it was end of stock, I am now looking for alternatives, and try any base grey acryllic I can find. If spraying, the Halfords grey primer is recommended by military modellers, even for small figures. Something in the grey formula seems to stick better to plastic. White is hopeless.

giles b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wagon transfers arrived recently, so the NE and GW wagons are now starting to get their identities confirmed.

Meanwhile, when I saw that this Private Owner was available I had to have it, as it's local to the supposed location of Shellsea.
Also, I hand lettered a version many years ago for my Wittering-on-Sea layout - somehow I don't see that happening again, as it's a book masquerading as a railway wagon!

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days ago I came across an eBay seller I hadn't seen before. He is really producing resin castings for war-gamers, but don't let that put you off as there are several useful boats and dock-side items listed for OO gauge. In particular I liked the half-sunken dumb barge - but have no room for one on the layout; very atmospheric of little used back-waters, though. Also in the range is a wide range of WW2 period lorries, which although resin would be fine in the background. Prices, particularly postage are very reasonable. You can see the list by Googling Anyscale Models.

I bought a couple of small pleasure boats, a set of 3 rowing boats, and some stacked fish-boxes, all of which arrived on the second day after ordering. The rowing boats are very good as they come, and the small fishing/pleasure boats are just about OK for OO but better for HO. I shall add a taller wheelhouse to one of them. The fish-boxes are on the large side for OO but just about OK - would be even better for S or O scale.

The stacks of fish crates come in 2 sizes - this is the larger one,

There are a couple of different pictures in the Product Review section.
I hope to get them painted over the weekend, meanwhile I'm going to check to see if there's room for a fishing boat alongside the wharf at Shellsea.
[No connection with the firm other than as a satisfied customer.]
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, always worth checking the wargamers. fishing boat and rowing boats good, those half sunken one will need a home, now where?

there are a few more barges on the completed sales list, so worthkeepin an eye on this.

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all I have to do is paint the castings as well as the demo models on the website. Looks like they have an undercoat, then a watery wash of colour on top.

Meanwhile, I am tempted by the fishing boat, which would just fit into the creek beside the fisheries building. I have in mind to open up the doors on the first floor and add a small swing-out crane, fixed to the wall, to create a fish unloading scene. There are some metal-cast fishermen being painted up who need to find employment.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having amassed four Hornby Hull & Barnsley goods vans a decision had to be made as to what to do with them all. Two have stayed true to their origin (one fitted - for Shellsea - seen here in the picture, the other unfitted - for Castle Mortimer), while the other two have been slightly disguised with additional strapping. This one purports to be something from the GER. I found a suitable picture of a 1900-built van with the diagonal bracing facing the opposite way to usual, but the H&B vehicle looks to be a little shorter on its 16ft underframe. I've made a similar van, supposedly built in the 1880s or thereabouts.

A problem arose with the lettering. In the end I used the E from my North Eastern wagon sheet and a modified G from the GWR. This was a different shape to the GER's G and also had to be cut in half horizontally to match the height of the E. A more rounded back was drawn in with white paint (and needs to be gone over again, judging by he close-up picture) and the inside of the letter was filled in slightly with extra body colour. At the same time the serif on the front of the G needed re-profiling to be correct. It probably looks better than a totally freehand attempt - but still a bit of a bodge.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last couple of weeks has seen a concerted effort to paint the collection of cast metal figures bought to swell the population of Shellsea. I've also looked out my collection of footplate staff, so all the locos now have crews.
Here's a shot of the tramway's loco fleet. though why there're all down at the harbour at once is anyone's guess.

The ferry to Fayling Island is loading up.

Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There should be a like box we can tick.

Regards Peter
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got some of those boats as recommended. The sunken boats are superb.

giles b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trippers out for a stroll in Shellsea. Do you like my blazer and white flannel trousers?

Shellsea Tramway Co's Terrier no.4 at rest amidst the station bustle.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some time the completion of another tramway-style coach has been held up for want of suitable end railings. After box-diving at several shows I finally managed to find something suitable last week-end. The rest of the sprue will go towards a Victorian-era cattle truck for 1860. I had originally thought the coach would also fit in with the earlier models, but on reflection think it probably goes better with the other Shellsea coaches.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: