FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bangers and MASH
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Bangers and MASH Reply with quote

This is one of my new projects. Learning from my WW1 layout, and using the same overall size, I have started building the 3ft by 2ft layout in two halves, each 18in by 2ft. This will also give me option of adding extra sections or assembling them in different ways.
Initially I plan to use the supporting framework I use for my WW1 layout, which was originally built to fit lighting.
This will be 1/32nd scale(although the MASH kits are 1/35) using my rail converted road vehicles, representing a 50cm gauge line in Korea or Vietnam. I am muddling the history deliberately, as the original MASH film did, but the trains are based on late 1950s road vehicles. They have been waiting for a layout for a while.
The design will have jungle on one side and a MASH encampment on other. The MASH side will have a passing loop, which will be automated so one train stops setting off the other. Exit tracks at back will allow trains to be moved off scene(in theory).
I think it will take a couple of years to get it to stage I can exhibit it, as I am also working on various OO dockyard projects for next year.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just created a rough 3D sketch using my CAD software

Everything is approximate, but the overall size is correct, and buildings are close to size. The poles are trees. Being jungle it will be pretty mixed up.
I think the upper area on the MASH(right) side will be the helicopter landing strip. The won't be much vegetation on that side either.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whilst on holiday I have built up the kits for the jungle house and the MASH vehicles. The helicopter was a nightmare as the plastic had got all distorted, so will represent an out of action machine.
It is really noticeable how much plastic kits have improved over the years. The instructions with these kits also had a lot of info missing, including where to fix transfers on one of the kits.
When I get home I can see how they all space out on the boards.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I am home I can get on with layout. I tried out the buildings and vehicles. Space is very tight but OK just. The layout is in two halves to make transport easier(lessons leaned from transporting my WW1 layout)
It can either be exhibited in small way to fit withing framework I use for my WW1 layout, or can be opened up and have hidden tracks at back, creating a figure of 8. This won't fit within the framework, but will hopefully sit on the army stretcher I have.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more progress, with backscene added to each half. This will be at back when layout is spread out.

The tree gives some idea of how the jungle will be built up.
The Bell helicopter was a nightmare building as it had warped, so I am assuming it is a bit battle weary, and the pilot has been wounded so is getting a lift down to the medics.
The tunnel entrances will be lowered so the trains just go through.
As can be seen the rail vehicles are conversions from road vehicles. Both these ones use Underground Ernie chassis, with adjustment to bogie fitting so they can go round the sharper curves.

The chocolate brown stuff is wood filler from Wilkinsons. It is not solvent based, so does not seem to react to plastic. If it gets scratched there are no nasty white gashes. It dries slowly, so hopefully won't crack .

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started covering the hillside with mashed paper. It will take a while to dry, as there is no added glue, but is not very thick. It will reduce weight though. Traditional plaster, even papier mache can be heavy. No hurry, as I can work on my mini dockyard module at same time.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paper is drying nicely, but in mean time I turned modules round to the long viewing way. I have tried out hidden track at back, in effect making a figure of eight.
The curves are proving a bit tight for the Underground Ernie chassis so may look for something else. A tram chassis from Japan works OK.

I can now take hidden track up, and continue with scenic parts. The hidden track is supported on shelves which hang off the front modules. I plan to display this on my army stretcher, so finding an easy way to fix the shelves was key to the plan.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I had moved layout down to club room, I was not taking regular photos, but I now consider layout is pretty close to finished. At least I have got trains to work. The Bachmann UE chassis did not like my sharp curves, but the Fleischmann Magic Train diesel runs OK(Now that I have replaced Atlas crossing with a more tolerant Bachmann one)
This is probably how it will be set up, but it can still be run as a simple circle.
The MASH camp works well. The coach is one of Tom Bell's 3D printed bodies on a Mehano chassis. Still need to assemble the 'Pin-up' figures to make this the 'Pin-Up Express'. The Crochat loco is one of my 3D printed models, fitted to a Lima chassis. I have adopted 1/32 scale for the railway. The slightly smaller 1/35th models are in background so scale difference is not so obvious.

The jungle section(Bangers) , probably lots hiding in the trees. The trees are from the part-work magazine with a couple of palm trees added.

My 3D printed curved track bridge. The bridge, though is not curved.

Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty good to me Simon.

Nice scale 1/32-1/35, good for detail but not too big.

Regards Peter
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I debated whether to go 1/32 or 1/35. The MASH models are 1/35, but I wanted a Crochat in 1/32 scale as they were 50cm gauge locos not 60cm gauge. I had already built some road conversions on UE chassis, but these would not run on sharp curves, and strictly speaking they were too modern for Korean war period.
I am, though, planning a rail lorry using a 1/35 scale kit for a GAZ AA truck kit, basically the same vehicle as a Ford AA one, which were sent to Russia, so I am saying some ended up in Korea.
This is first time I have built anything with trees. I tend to avoid them as they never look right, but I had a load from the 'Model Railway Village' part work magazine so thought I could use them for a jungle scene.

I have some more now, but plan to use them on a Caribbean themed model (Death in Paradise!) , but will need a suitably painted Police Landrover, as well as a motorbike and sidecar. That will also be in 1/32 and use the above mentioned rail converted trucks (Japanese 3 wheelers).

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks excellent Simon. Very eye-catchingly different.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, you know 'different' is my middle name!

Plan is to display layout on my old army stretcher, supported on a couple of A frames. Have not tried it yet though!

First exhibition is going to be a small exhibition in Blackburn in January. Just got to do a small article to see if I can get something in CM before that.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For ambient sound, bin the Froggie Crimbo tape and have a loop of chirping
crickets and buzzing flies.
Possibly with intermittent distant bombing or gunfire followed shortly afterwards
by the sound of helicopters bringing in the casualties.

Return to insects, maybe a tropical rainstorm, then the sound of a drunken
party in one of the tents.

The 4077th lives on.

Laughing

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I really want is a recording of some of those adhoc announcements that came over the pubic address system. I can even buy loudspeakers that resemble the American rectangular ones. It is possible, I think to download something to devices, but all I want is something to put on CD to play.

Ideally I would have a CD with the theme music(without words as it might upset some people), then the sound of helicopters coming in, and then various announcements. This all looped so it gets mixed up, but not too repetitive.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Gilbert had ambient noise playing on his layout at Trent Valley N Am a few years ago. Not too loud, that's the key, and add some humour. He had a barking dog, followed by a single gunshot, followed by a whimpering dog. The tape/CD/whatever it was repeated every twenty minutes or so. Long enough for most viewers not to hear it all, but my layout was next to Chris's so I did.

Much better than Christmas carols. Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: