FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beds & Bucks Narrow Gauge Modellers Group Open Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Beds & Bucks Narrow Gauge Modellers Group Open Day Reply with quote

A few pictures taken yesterday at the Beds & Bucks Narrow gauge modellers group open day. I have featured the small layouts only as these are probably of most interest to readers of this forum.

The first is a tiny layout, Werwithial Quay in OO9 scale by John Bruce and is set somewhere in Southern Cornwall. This really is a little gem with so much of interest in the tiny space of 21 inches by 18 inches. So you can't say you haven't got room for a layout. It requires five items of rolling stock and one locomotive, although a spare loco and a wagon or two is desirable to allow for failure or just ring the changes.

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next tiny layout is another OO9 example called Priors Gate by Chris Krupa

The Old Mineral Line OO9 Mike Wall

Peter
Broadoak

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last layout featured is built in a large scale 1/22 and is small given the scale.
I loved this layout because it is in a larger scale and the detailing was superb.
It was like standing by the seashore, a stunning piece of work I thought.

There were many other layouts as well but all much larger than the ones I have shown.

Peter
giles b

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great selection of pictures. I saw Werwithiel Quay when it was only partly complete - the buildings are great, but it's also interesting to see the railway element in its finished form. The large-scale layout is certainly different; the track reminds me of the Emmett cartoon "A Trip Round the Lighthose"

Many thanks for posting.
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose this layout should be included as it was about four feet by two feet at a guess. I liked the rustic flavour and all the small details.
It is called Yates Rock tramway in OO9 by Colin F James.

Peter
giles b

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that I really like! Rural semi-dereliction fighting rampant nature, and lots of nicely observed detail. Also the use of curves is interesting, in the lane and field boundaries as well as the track and with the building scattered as if at random. I suspect when the whole is viewed, it helps break up the oblong baseboard area.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I think I have seen the fishing yard scene, was it radio controlled?

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Broadoak

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon.

I think you could well be right about the radio control, the controller Des was using was not connected to the layout.
He had a mobile phone on top of the layout playing seaside sounds, waves breaking on the beach and sea gull's cries.
I also forgot to give the builder's name, it was Des Trollip.

Peter M
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it looked like the layout Des had at York last year. He is a member of the Gnatterbox, so it is a well known layout. I showed Des some of my inset track samples whilst at York and he was able to run a loco using radio control on it.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Des about the controller he uses on Dungeness; it is wireless, but uses infra-red rather than radio........and it's made by Lego!

There are still several of the small lines connecting the beach to the nearest road in situ at Dungeness, although I don't think any of them are currently in use and as far as I know none were locomotove powered.

A big advantage of wireless control for a layout depicting a scene like this is that the rails can be as rusty as they are in reality!

Thank you for a great set of pictures of what was an excellent day Peter, it was good to see you!

Regards,
Simon.
Broadoak

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon as you rightly say it was a cracking little show and nice to see you again too.
I must admit when I saw the controller Des was using I thought it looked a bit like a kiddie's toy. It seemed to work well though.

Regards Peter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: