FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roy's Workbench - DCC Mysteries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheshire001

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:25 pm    Post subject: Roy's Workbench - DCC Mysteries Reply with quote

About a year ago I paid 50p for this Parkside trestle wagon:

And a year later (quite quick for me!!)

The tretle has been repaired with strips of plasticard, wheels uprated to P4, sprung buffers fitted and (rather long) 3-links fitted.

The weathering maybe a bit heavy but I had a new airbrush and just kept adding different colours.

Just requires transfers. OK, I should have numbered it before weathering, but I really wanted to try the airbrush

Smile

Last edited by Cheshire001 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cheshire001

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GWR B-set Coaches Diagram E129

I had had a couple of Farish corridor brakes in use as a B-set for many years. Reading an article in Nov 1993 Railway Modeller, I realised I could convert a couple of my very old Farish suburbans into a better representation.

I went further than the article by fitting bowed ends. I had a couple of redundant corridor coach bodies with bowed ends, cut the ends off and removed the corridor connections. These ends then replaced the flat ends on my B-set.

Other work included improving the chassis detail, filling in windows and alterations to the roof detail.

The two coaches are permanently coupled with a bar made of copper-clad circuit board material. New steel wheels are fitted.

Sprayed with my new airbrush in my interpretation of early BR suburban coach red. Photos would suggest a more orange shade but this did not look right when I mixed it.

The coaches I used had lost their buffers at one end; it is fortuitous that this diagram were not fitted with buffers on the inner end!

If anyone is wondering the Dapol B-set are a different coach, dia. E140 I believe. I also have a pair of them in chocolate and cream.
Jordan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh.... right until I read "P4" in the Parkside wagon post I thought you were having a dabble in O Scale... Wink
Go on - you know you want to.... Razz Laughing
Cheshire001

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan, I'm there already! I have a couple of O gauge British steam engines and a handful of wagons that I tinker with occasionally.

I was so tempted by a 37/4 recently, but I eventually got away with my wallet intact. Just wouldn't fit with my existing rolling stock. But it was lovely..... Shocked
Cheshire001

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a long time I had fancied a big apple green LNER tank loco - please don't ask how it fits on my Conway layout!

I had considered the N2, but after reading reviews, I became aware of the superior quality of the L1. Seeing one on eBay from Rails of Sheffield, I ordered it.

It arrived and I excitedly ran upstairs and placed it on the track. Applying (DC) power it growled forward and moved backwards in a series of shudders.
Having had some curious experiences with Hornby circuit boards before, I decided to peek inside. Ah yes. Fitted under the bunker by some of the gooiest sticky I have ever seen was what turned out to be a Hornby DCC chip. Remove it and insert a blanking plug. Perfect! Loco runs like silk.

Obviously a good result and I am happy, but:

(1) What causes these chips to shudder in one direction on DC?

(2) Even on my DCC controller the the motor growled; it was much quieter running on DC.

(3) As a luddite it beats me why people pay extra to down-grade the performance of a lovely loco! I can hear Bob muttering about "witchcraft" here.

(4) The loco was advertised as "tested" and "DCC ready" (not "DCC fitted"). So if they tested it on DC they would know it didn't run properly and if they tested it on DCC they would know it was "fitted".
Jordan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First clue is the words "Hornby" & "decoder" together in the same sentence Wink
Even with better/decent decoders, settings can be made to the motor that might actually make it run worse. The witchcraft is working out the adjustments that improve running instead!!
It seems quite common for people to confuse the terms "DCC Ready" & "DCC Fitted", especially newcomers, but I do think "DCC Ready" is rather misleading, implying the loco is 'ready' to work on DCC straight away, rather than it's actual meaning of 'ready to have a decoder plugged in (Not Supplied!!!). Rolling Eyes
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to make a similar comment to the words Hornby and DCC being used in same sentence!
More seriously, Hornby did not get their DCC working well initially, for various reasons.
Having said that anything coming out of factory should work OK, but there are compromises built in so chipped locos will also run on analogue, and settings can be changed to improve DCC running. Also people will change DCC code to make loco unique.
I am not saying this has happened here, but s/h DCC fitted locos may have had their settings changed for various reasons. This is OK when the person who changed them uses the loco, but maybe before selling it on, it should be set back to original factory settings. Even if nothing else is changed except DCC loco code, it should be something everyone selling on a DCC chipped loco should do.
I did dabble in DCC, but on the first exhibition(actually one run by DCC club), trains were not running well on DCC( I think due to track faults), so I ran all weekend on analogue with no problems. All locos were Bachmann based. I have a couple of the older hard wired DCC GE70 locos, which run superbly on analogue, at slower than a walking pace. I think the clue is in the name, Bachmann.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I will get the French Christmas CD out Laughing

Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob that's hilarious!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'm showing 'Withyn Reach', my very much Non-DCC British O layout at Cradley Heath Show in October - can I copy that picture for it please..? Very Happy
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon - Shocked

Jordan- Why not model a ducking stool on the wharf? Very Happy

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Cheshire001

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the picture, Bob! I thought you may have an opinion on the matter.

Sometime I must try a factory reset, but probably already done as it was on ID=3. Currently dropped in a box with all the other failed chips.

I must confess I too have a handful of Bachmann DCC locos (British and US) which are very good and a joy to operate.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just needs some frogs on the bank, saying 'rivet,rivet', as I am sure I recognise that person as a rivet counter. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: