FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another dockyard project- Warwick Quay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Another dockyard project- Warwick Quay Reply with quote

Based on a plan seen on another forum, I have started on another OO gauge dockyard layout, using one of my spare APA boxes.
It is called Warwick Quay, simply because it was when I was exhibiting at Heywood exhibition in Warwick Mill, Middleton that I realised the size of these NORI brick buildings. I have also been using the NORI brick as an idea in my artwork, so it fits in well.
I have the 3D printed track pieces including 2 wagon turntables(15ft versions which were often used up north), and tried a mockup shown here

The mill/warehouse building will dominate the scene. I might put a top on the box. There is a road bridge in the middle, the wire frame is actually brick sized, and hides the exits to the fiddle yard.

The bond often(possibly normally) used for NORI brick is Garden Wall bond. This currently not available, in embossed plastic or lazer cut wood, but I hope someone might be able to produce this, otherwise I plan to modify some LCUT panels or cobble up something using 2 different sheets from Slaters.
The plan is for this layout to be ready for workshops next year, when I will have to build yet another small dockyard layout as part of the workshops.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rail fitted to track and tested out to see ho it looks

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more progress, quayside lowered, as it is next to a small canal

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more photos showing progress

everything runs OK

Then fix track down.
Plan to 3D print the brickwork as it needs to be garden wall bond, as that was commonly used for NORI brick buildings up here, The first samples came today so I am designing the other brick modules.
the design software has facility to print out on paper so with a bit of cut and poaste in 'Paint' designed these mockups of what I want. A couple of changes but still gives an idea.

The end wall onto the bridge will have office entrance, possible loading doors. Had wondered about some dummy inset track across bridge and wagon turntable into the building. Possibly a bit much.

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inset track on the bridge? What about a street tram with car stopped to take on passengers. If the period you're modelling is later than the tram era, how about a road-works scene with the old tram rails being removed? We still had buried tram rails in central Twickenham until well into the 1960s - possibly later, when they were finally removed (and they were still there in the forecourt of the tram depot, later bus depot, for a further 10 years or so).
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles, I was considering that. Period will be 1940s as I have collected quite a few WW2 army vehicles and gives opportunities for the unusual.
I have just ordered some of my brick panels. Not cheap but having the correct brick bond defines the location. I have also had to design corners so bricks are correct. Something most people(including me) have got completely wrong in the past.
I don't count rivets(or should it be bricks?) but when it is reasonably easy to do something better I will take that route. I suppose it is one of the nice things about small layouts.
The brick idea does not stop with the layout, as I am currently planning a new art project for local brick works here, so as with many of my other model railway layouts it is much much more than a model railway. The original NORI brick works closed down many years ago , but moved into what had been another of the local brick works. This closed for a short time but re-opened this year. The bricks they produce are of engineering quality, not that soft stuff found in London! Having said that, NORI bricks can be found in Battersea Power Station, probably in foundations.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photos of stone sheets being added between the tracks

Will add something (boxes, sacks ?) to cover the PL12 unit.

Test paint next(cheap emulsion test pots)

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the brickies have been busy, also some of the stone setts have been patched up.

a bit too much light, colour is more like this

this is how i assembled the brick panels. As they absorb any liquid, I use cheap super glue to 'weld' them together, with thing corrugated cardboard to add a bit more stability.
I plan to use windows from LCUT Creative. Again as they are card, superglue will stick them in place

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windows fitted, painted and glazed( tissue paper soaked in superglue). Windows are from LCUT.

Just in front of coupling is a simple uncoupler, using a small piece of paper sticking up, superglued to stone setts.
picture of other building. I am having to use flash on camera as I have decided to enclose the box on top. I will add LED strip to light it for operating. Because I then won't be able to see trains from back it will be operated from side.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: