FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:34 pm    Post subject: 1 Reply with quote

Pleased to report that my copy of Scale Rail International (SRI No1) arrived today!

A jolly good read so far Very Happy

Thanks & well done indeed to all involved
Roger

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent my payment off today. No emoticon for "Anticipation", but perhaps in a week's time......... Very Happy
Graham W

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a nice surprise to see issue 1 of SRI drop through the letterbox this morning. First impressions are 'Very Good'.
Lots of interesting articles, some by familiar names from MTI and some new authors as well.
And....Colour, lots of it and good quality picture reproduction as well.
Lets hope that more subscriptions can be obtained and the future of the magazine secured.
From being downbeat when MTI ended, I'm now going to be eagerly awaiting each issue of SRI!

Graham
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thought it had gone quiet about SRI. Is there a website to subscribe?

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep all present & correct here too. Been at the all-American Trent Valley Show today, so only had a quick glimpse at SRI #1, but looks interesting so far. A5 size quite adequate and colour throughout almost feels like a bonus!!
In answer to Simon there's not a website with subscription facilities (yet?) Subs are payable by cheque only (remember them?? Razz ) at the moment anyway. £21.60 made out to†I.C. Ford†and sent to 34, Hamsey Crescent, Lewes, Sussex BN7 1NP will get you the next 6 issues.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not the best way to start something. Even if no online payment system, a form online(with the blog) to print off. Not rocket science.
Us oldies do have cheque books, but I know my children don't, so other younger enthusiasts might not. A simple Paypal account would be easy to set up to receive payments. I would almost certainly subscribe tonight if there was ability to pay by paypal.

alastairq

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...me too! Certainly I haven't had, needed, or bothered with, a cheque book [account] for nearly 10 years now.

In fact, I think my bank even charges simply to allow one to keep the thing in a drawer?

I will subscribe....as & when even the simplest online methods appear...even if they end up with snailmail. [I do have stamps....and envelopes, and a post box.....everything usually goes online these days, however.]
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a chequebook and stamps, and do use them occasionally. Since my bank was split up, I no longer have a branch locally, so if I receive a cheque I have to drive to another town to pay it in, that actually makes a pleasant trip but it costs me money to drive to next town..
One objection to paying by Paypal is the commission they take. Like all banks they have to get paid somehow, and banks used to charge for cheques. It would therefore be cheaper for smaller payments to receive money electronically than by cheque. Payment is also secured and if there are any problems, such as mis-sold goods or goods not received then Paypal sort it out.
This is even more important for a new venture such as this magazine. It would be great if everyone in the world could be trusted. Most people can be, but that trust is exploited, so we feel we can not trust something we see , especially if it is online. I think a lot more would have paid up front, if payment was secure. Cheques are no longer seen as secure, for either party. In France you can be prosecuted for cheques that bounce.
In the time I have been writing this a Paypal system could have been set up and be transferring money. Also many in the hobby probably already use Paypal, so can use their existing account to receive money. I did that when I started selling 3D printed items via Shapeways.

Genetk44

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree...having PayPal option is the way to go, especially for overseas customers. It worked for MTI and I see no reason why it wouldn't work for the magazine. It's fast,easy and very convenient for the buyer. I would have already bought a full sub faster than writing this. Mailing a cheque or international bank draft is not only far less convenient, it is much much slower.

I strongly urge Chris to setup a PayPal option for not only full subs but for single copies also...just like MTI did.

Cheers
Gene
Genetk44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had an email from Chris Ford vis-a-vis PayPal. He said that setting up a PayPal payment/subscription is his next step...so hopefully those of us who are further afield will have a simpler way of subscribing.
Graham W

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a sad state of affairs that Chris Ford gets criticised on this forum for not providing PayPal, Online order Forms, a website etc. for the new SRI magazine.
For Pete's sake, it's only been a few weeks since the new magazine was proposed and the first issue has just been produced. Let the magazine get established first and I'm sure that websites, online ordering and possibly even a forum will follow in due course.
Chris F was the only person willing to stand up and do something positive about a replacement/follow-on mag for MTI and he has invested a great deal of time, effort and money in the last few weeks in order to get the 1st issue produced. What is needed from MTI readers is support, not negative comments.
Whether we like it or not, MTI is now history, it's not coming back, there will be no more issues and the best we can hope for is a similar sort of magazine such as SRI. All of the waffling about 'electronic mags' came to nothing but here we have the chance to create our own sort of magazine again.
I agree, PayPal is easy to use, in fact for the sender it's very convenient and costs nothing, but for the recipient of a PayPal payment there are Fee's to pay and at this stage in the magazines life the money would be better going in full to the magazine rather than making PayPal more wealthy. It is very easy to sit behind a keyboard, make one click with the mouse and expect the world to be delivered to you door and let the guy at the other end pick up the bill. Surely, even in this day and age, it is not too much trouble to put a cheque in an envelope, write on the address, stick on a stamp and walk to the nearest post box?
I doubt if many MTI readers are aware of how 'low tech' the MTI operation was/is. If it wasn't for the efforts and goodwill of people like Jack and Emerys, there wouldn't be a MTI website, Forum or Online ordering. None of these existed when MTI started up and it is unfair to expect Chris Ford to have everything in place in such a short time.
Chris Ford set out his stall on this forum back in April, he asked MTI readers who were genuinely interested to email him. Those of us that did (sadly very few MTI readers) were kept informed of progress and when the 1st issue was ready to go to print we were asked for some subs and now we have a magazine to read. Those who did nothing will only have themselves to blame if this new venture does not succeed.
Graham
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham W wrote:
Chris Ford .........asked MTI readers who were genuinely interested to email him. Those of us that did (sadly very few MTI readers) were kept informed of progress and when the 1st issue was ready to go to print we were asked for some subs and now we have a magazine to read.

I go along with most of Graham's comments. However it has to be admitted that cheques are declining in general use - my chequebook only comes out on rare occasions as I more often use electronic payment methods nowadays - so the news that there will be a Paypal connection to SRI is good news, particularly for overseas subscribers.

What's more worrying is the lack of take-up from ex-MTI readers who do not use this website. Possibly they don't yet know of the latest developments. If we know of any such (ex-) readers is it too much to ask if we contact them and put them in the picture? Equally, for those of us who exhibit our layouts, an email with the details of SRI sent to our Exhibition Manager contacts with the request to circulate them to their club secretary/general membership might help bump up readership. We might take a sample copy of the magazine and have it on display with the layout; it all helps, as new magazines are fragile things needing all the help they can get.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not criticism, just good friendly business advice. Chris came on here to announce what he planned, but as far as I know not many of us knew him, and anyone in business will advice care before sending money to someone you don't know.
As for cost of Paypay, a business will probably be paying something for each cheque cashed, then there is the postage to send cheque. Add these small amounts to subscrition amount. Those small amounts add up and actually make Paypal reasonably priced.
If you go to any business advisor when you are starting up a new venture, you will normally get this type of advice.If you then choose to ignore it then chances are all will not go to plan.

Graham W

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a PayPal account which I use for my business. Whilst I appreciate it makes it very easy for me to invoice customers and receive payment, when you consider the fees that PayPal charge it is not so 'business friendly'. I do not expect it to be a free service but the charges are totally out of proportion to what a high street bank would charge.
From Jan 1st to date I have paid £87.08 in PayPal fees from money I have received from customers. If I had received the same by cheques and paid those into my bank account, my bank charges would have been £22.50, quite a difference!
Really my point is that at the start-up of a small circulation mag like SRI, every penny counts and it is better that all money is spent on the magazine rather than in PayPal fees. A £21.60 subscription paid by PayPal would result in a fee of 97p, which presumably Chris Ford is just expected to swallow.
Or perhaps Chris should increase the subs for those that want to pay by PayPal.....would that be acceptable?
Graham
alastairq

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple fact is, I Will not be a customer, if the only way I can pay is via a cheque...or, in my case, a postal order.

WHich will cost me a lot more than the purchase price .....!

Any vendor has some choices to make.

And the fees liable to be incurred in order to broaden the customer base, must be within the business model.

If not, goodbye!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: