FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Soller Train

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ibareham

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Soller Train Reply with quote

Thought I'd give an heads up to an article I've just written for Andrew Knights at WRG & Chris Ford at SRI. The Soller Train & Tram on Mallorca is a 3ft gauge electric train and tram from Palma to Soller then Port de Soller. It is covered in Giles book on the subject Rails Through Majorca Plateway Press 2003.

[img]https://www.flickr.com/photos/75088377@N06/16243992284/in/album-72157652276673972/[/img]

For more photos check out my flickr pages https://www.flickr.com/photos/75088377@N06/sets/72157652276673972

Ipswich England
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, Ian. You obviously enjoyed your trip!

As Plateway Press stopped trading a couple of years ago the book is now available from Andrew Neale, bookseller, if anyone still wants a copy. (unashamed plug Embarassed )
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles,
I could not find the book on Andrew Neale's website. Found a s/h copy on Amazon.
I like the idea of sun, sea and trains/trams. Could be another project Smile , thinks me.

Typical, should have checked ebay as a dealer(might be the railway) in Aberystwyth has copies new.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rails-Through-Mallorca-by-Giles-Barnabe-Hardback-/271926297789?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f501204bd

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon,

As far as I was aware the book is still available from Andrew Neale, but I haven't heard from him in over a year, royalty payments having dried up for the last two years. Perhaps the lack of inclusion on his website might explain this! It has to be said that when Plateway closed there were 3.25 tons of unsold books to move and store (not all mine, I hasten to add), which must have taken some time.

I have asked Andrew for an update on the position. In his earlier correspondence he says he has decided not to remainder the back-catalogue, so can only assume that he still has the existing stocks.
ibareham

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yes Giles we did have a great time, want to go back and explore more of Island, as didn't have time to do any of the TIB trains out of Palma or Palma Metro. It reminded me of my trips to Isle of Man back in late 70's early 80's with my parents, but with sun even in March.
The area I think has changed the most on the Soller Tram is in Port de Soller, as you can see from the photos the track along the prom as been moved to middle of prom and paved in. I think using European Money if I remember rightly from sign at bottom of bay where the track comes off the roadside running and turns into the bay. Now there is a small sea wall then pedestrian tram track the road, more shared space a think is the current term.

I got a copy of the book via a local East Anglian Railway Bookshop but think it was his last copy.

Ipswich England
Graham W

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles,

Your book (and many other Plateway titles) is still available from Andrew Kneale.

The Plateway Press website is still live, but orders go to Andrew Kneale -:

http://www.plateway.co.uk/index.html

I bought a copy from him last year and can recommend the Light Railway Railcars book as well.

Graham
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, that helps. Pity there is nothing I could see on Andrew Neale's own website to say this. I am pleased to see other titles still available.

johno

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back form Mallorca and after visiting Soller and its tramway so it's has got me thinking about building a small tram layout based on its trams.

I think I can modify The ready available HO Diecast Lisbon trams but recreating the wooden panels maybe a problem. I am thinking about a pizza type layout as I have limited space.

if you every get a chance to get to the island of Mallorca a visit to Soller is a must,

Johno
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be tempted to do it in 1/55 using OO/HO track, and 3D printing the tram bodies. Of course they could then also be produced in other scales.

ibareham

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting ready for another visit to Mallorca, hopefully get a trip out from Palma to Manacor this time as well as Soller Train & Tram.

Ipswich England
ibareham

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another pleasant trip to Mallorca. Again stayed in Port de Soller, various rides on Soller Tram with 6 different tramcars, return trip on Soller Train Soller Bunyola with FdS 3. Also SFM from Palma Intermodel to Manacor on both metre gauge EMU's Palma to Enallac & DMU's Enallac to Manacor.

Ipswich England
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: