FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Italian Microbe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRACKED

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:50 pm    Post subject: Italian Microbe Reply with quote

A few weeks ago, I picked up a Rivarossi (Sogliore) Badoni Tractor from the Club Second hand stand at the Braintree Exhibition. These were a licence built version of the Brauer Locomotive.

This has been joined by a couple of Italeri Freight Cars. These are supplied with what look like NEM mountings. I have not decided on couplings as yet, the choice being either Kadee or Alex Jackson as I want magnetic uncoupling if possible. It will definitely not be the standard continental coupling.

Some of the earlier Badoni Tractors were not equipped with buffers, so the Alex Jackson may be the best solution. The Badoni tractors would use jacks to enable them to use some of the wagons weight for additional traction (this predates the Trackmobile).

A couple of photos on my Clubs test track with the wagons hooked by the bufferbeams with the Sogliores' standard supplied couplings.

Thinking about a suitable layout for these led me to Jack Trollope's Microbe Yard (MTI 116). The distance between the wheel wells in my cars boot is exactly 1 metre, so using a 3'3" length there is just room. I have been playing around with some track for this and I came up with this.

Track is Peco small radius turnouts. By putting the loop on the diagonal and using a couple of Y turnouts I have managed to spread the track across the baseboard more. I think it may be possible to have a small stream emerge from a culvert (just to the left of the top Y point) and turn and head to the left hand edge of the baseboard with a screen of trees behind it to disguise the fiddle track.

One significant difference in operation from that proposed will be that due to its small size it will be possible for the Badoni to haul its train (2-3 wagons) both into and out of the yard and the headshunts will accommodate it and one wagon. It may be possible to multi mode as the headshunts at both ends of the loop are the same length as in the original plan.

Oddly the only kits I could find for Italian buildings were to 1/72nd scale (ie 00 gauge) for military models.

Comments and Suggestions gladly welcomed.
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy Microbe, Clive - It can be a little Bu99er to shunt!
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the look of that, Clive, but I'd probably echo Jack's comments. Things would be a lot easier if you could add a bolt-on stick, one wagon long, at the top right-hand corner; this would enable running on- and off-site with two wagons. It would also allow two cars to the shunted onto the nearer side of the loop. The other head-shunt is less of a problem as there's the length of the tail-track and a turnout before the wye point, so I guess that might take the shunter and two four-wheeled wagons without further modification. This alteration would also allow for bogie stock to be used - one at a time.

Regarding Italian buildings, you do not say what types you need. If industrial, I would suggest the Furniture Factory formerly produced by MKD, though I'm not sure if it's currently available from another maker. Stucco-faced buildings would be my guess, possibly with more brick construction in the north of the country (?). If a station is needed, look at Jouef country stations but make the roofs a low hipped-style. I think I have an old Continental Modeller with an Italian layout in it; will search and report back later. Also have some Spanish industrial pictures somewhere that might supply inspiration.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The articles from Continental Modeller are:
Tre Ponti (Feb 2012) - a Tuscan through station late 20th century
Railcar depot (Aug 2014) set in Piedmont/Emilia Romagna (by Italian modeller)

Both seem to show that small industrial buildings are much the same in Italy, Spain, and to some extent France. Below are some of my Spanish industrial pictures.
Probably a bit run down by Italian standards, but perhaps OK for rural Southern Italy (?). Included for atmosphere, if nothing else!
This was a builders' supply yard that used to be next to the old station in Palma, Majorca.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly speaking, not industrial, but Italeri do a church and a couple of houses, as well as a North African building. Officially they are 1/72 scale, but they capture the feel of the Mediteranean well. I used them(choped up) on my Ile de Singe APA layout.
I think some of the MKT kits are still available. The Hornby connection does not help. Some of the kits still incorporate Wills kit parts. Fun spotting.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
CRACKED

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles, Thanks for your comments, and the suggestion for a bolt on stick - I will see how frustrating shunting it is first. I believe Jack's comment was slightly tongue in cheek as he designed it that way. In its original American style of operation the locomotive needs to use the loop a lot to get the car into position. It was designed to be used with 40' box cars GE 44ton or smaller locomotives. If I was to try to multi mode with removable buildings and backscene there might be just enough room to run round with my slightly larger Alco S2 (Athearn ). This would definitely peek out some distance from the screen of trees planned for the fiddle siding. A bolt on fiddle stick at the other end may be needed.

Regarding Buildings. I also found the Mini Art range (again 1/72), which includes some very Italian looking railway buildings (especially the goods depot). The Italeri Church is nice but too big for this layout.

I was looking for something industrial on the right hand end and some town builldings flats or apartments for use as low relief models at the rear.

First things first though.

Now to get the baseboard built.
Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a tiny loco!! Very neat! What's it's haulage capacity like? Probably quite prototypical I'd have thought, & ample enough for two wagons at a time.
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere amongst my junk, I have a part of an etched kit for one of those locos.....probably the cab and bodywork,some wheels,etc....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: