FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British built pacific for the FCPyF
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: British built pacific for the FCPyF Reply with quote

Postie's just been.

Thanks Giles!

Here's the recipe...

OK, so it's easier with Paint than it is with a hacksaw, but you get the general idea.

The cab is very definitely not of American origin, but a lot of British locos built for export had very foreign looking boilers, so the FCPyF's new loco will be credited to Davies and Metcalfe of Romiley, Cheshire. It is often reported that the firm only built two complete locomotives, and that it is better known for making small parts instead, but it has recently (about twenty minutes ago) come to light that the firm apparently made several 2'6" gauge light pacifics for export to Sierra Oculta in the late 1920s.

You didn't tell me the loco was sound chipped though Giles, I might have to incorporate that into the tender somehow. Laughing

EDIT -

Hack, hack, hack... Blutack...

There's not actually much difference in width between the old and new cabs, which should make altering the tender quite easy, I'm tempted to just fit slightly wider frames and leave the tender body unaltered. The pacific is going to be significantly smaller than the Bachmann moguls but different sized locos from different manufacturers is not really a problem... In fact, if the pacific was on a par with the moguls the builders might have had trouble getting the loco on a low loader from their works to the goods yard at Romiley station. It might not have fitted under the bridge!

Very Happy

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was quick for 2nd class post!

Yes, I forgot to mention the sound, but will be interested to see what use comes of it. I wonder if it's possible to isolate (or blank off) any of the four elements of the sound-track. The crossing bell would be useful at trackside, for instance. How will you turn the sound on, I wonder - or will you just re-fit the push-button control? Davies & Metcalfe - I haven't got my Boyd to hand, but didn't they build the Rheidol engines for the Cambrian? If so you could always change the American chimney for a capped one. I might have a suitable spare if your loco parts box can't help.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on with the VoR connection, but I'm no GW fan so I don't do copper capped chimneys. At the moment the loco has the chimney off the die cast toy sitting on top of its own. The height matches the cab well but I don't like the shape. It'll more like than not end up with a straight stack made from a drinking straw. Wink

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did wonder about adding the two chimneys together, but the toy one is a bit crude, isn't it, as well as being an odd shape. You're right in wanting to add height, though; without it the loco could look a bit like Dr Syn on the RHDR.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug the angle grinder out this morning and removed the remains of the saddle tank from the cab.

I've given some thought to the profile of the lower cab sides, at first I drew it as a concave curve but I think this looks too foreign.

So I'm now thinking that a convex curve would suit the loco better.

I don't want to make the cab any higher because I like the loco's proportions as it is, so the tender footplate needs lowering slightly to stop the fireman banging his head on the cab roof!

giles b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tender footplate comes to the level of the bottom of the handrail. perhaps this should also be the level of the bottom of the cab sides (?)
There would be headroom for the fireman but it would also help to de-emphasise the cab height.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more the height above the firebox that I don't want to increase, but matching the bottom of the cab to the intended tender footplate level looks good, thanks for the suggestion.

The loco footplate will be higher than the tender's (without full standing headroom) but the fireman will stand on the tender when shovelling coal... Alternatively it may become an oil burner, in which case he can sit on the loco all the time instead.

giles b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the relative heights of loco and tender footplates - your suggestion of the loco being an oil-burner is probably the simplest solution Smile However I've just been working on a similar problem with a Hornby B12 tender, which has a shelf for the fireman to stand on that is above the base of the water tank part of the tender, and higher than the footplate of the loco the tender is now twinned with. I managed to cut all of this shelf out, so the new footplate level is lower by about 3 or 4mm, which makes quite a difference. perhaps your tender could be adapted similarly.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both tender and loco have felt the sharp end of the craft knife this morning... That makes a change, it's usually my thumb that's on the receiving end. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, the footplate is now lower, and she's been out on the main line!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsckOSawOjU

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got used to the chimney off the die-cast loco, and it's now got a hole in the top to let the exhaust out. Which is an improvement.

Running boards fitted and a quick daub of black paint to merge everything together, a proper paint job will follow when I'm in the mood for a bit of weathering but at the moment the sun's shining so I'm going to take the dog for a walk instead. Wink

I'm still undecided about the tender. The difference in width between it and the loco is not really enough to justify a cut and shut job along the centre line. If I can get some small L section styrene strip I'll see how it looks with a narrow toe-board along the top of the frames on each side instead.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking a bit more used now. I will probably be passing Haslington Models with the van tomorrow. If I do I'll call in and see if he's got any thin L shaped styrene to complete the tender, then that can be weathered too.

I have ordered some more self adhesive numerals which should match the rest of the FCPyF locos. She'll probably be given number 9, a single figure is easier to place on the cab sides and 9 was originally allocated to a gas-mech that was later converted and transferred to my Gn15 fleet.

giles b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good, Bob. The more I look at that hybrid chimney, the more I wonder if the tapered bit on top is actually a spark arrestor.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking. It has been sat on the window ledge next to my desk since I've been working on it and the hybrid chimney has grown familiar. Even the seam where the two join fits in with the theory of a spark arrestor, it probably rules out a conversion to oil fuelling so the tender will get a load of real crushed coal over the plastic moulding once it has been weathered.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

British(???) , that cab definitely has a Decauville look to it. Whole loco reminds me of the Moroccan Mallet Decauville produced.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused

It seems that somebody has nicked the builder's plates from the Pacific. The FCPyF management had assumed her to be of British origin but there now appears to be some doubt over that. As you can probably tell by the restricted loading gauge the loco was originally built for another railway elsewhere in Sierra Oculta and came to Cuarto sheds when that line closed. There was no paperwork with the delivery, in fact it is rumoured that the loco was meant to be destined elsewhere but was detained at Cuarto de Pulgada for "extended trials" until it was conveniently forgotten where she was supposed to be headed.

Such things happen. We'll sort it out, eventually. In the meantime have another bottle of this excellent tequila Mr Government Inspector Of Railways. Relax, enjoy yourself, we can talk more about the loco - maņana.

Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: