FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1860 and all that
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: 1860 and all that Reply with quote

I've been thinking about the possibilities of a layout based in about 1860-70. Early enough to have primitive and interesting rolling stock - with short vehicles to save space, but also built early enough to have a slightly old fashioned track plan.

Something like this, perhaps..........

The turntable would be a semi-complete one from the spares box. An old N gauge one needing a new deck. The wiring bits are missing but I could feed the wires up the middle and use it as a "swing-table" not a turntable. At the end of the loop there is a loco-shed and a short siding serving a cattle-pen and end-loading dock. The siding behind the station is for general goods and the front siding could be for a sawmill or small workshop. A village appears on the back-scene. Size would be about 48x12ins + fiddle yard.

Last edited by giles b on Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it's the bit of electric string connecting me to the interwebby or the link itself, but the photo's just showing as a little square with a cross in it. Sad

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that - a problem with the original scan, seemingly. Didn't have time to sort it before lunch. It's OK now.

This is the sort of look I'm after (both are early shots of the W. Somerset Minerals Railway).

The station looks like a conversion from the Wills Toll-house, My re-geared Hornby 0-4-0STs with no, or different, cabs can stand in for the loco and I've also got an available L&Y Pug that's lost its cab and boiler fittings, so is suitably anonymous as starting point for another loco. The coaches can be from Hornby 3-compt. coaches; one can be turned into a saloon with a coupe compartment at one end, for variety. I've also got some tram parts in store to make a very light railway type coach. Short wheel-base wagons, some with bow-ends, a van or two - perhaps a slat-sided one like an early GW Siphon, or it might be used for livestock. I think there are enough possibilities to make something that looks a bit different, but without too much fiddling.
Genetk44

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that second pic was included in an article in MTI within the past couple of years. Don't know which one unfortunately.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fascinating prospect. Dare I say with rope haulage (a la Mineral Line) as well?

In addition to cabless versions of the Caley pug there is the option for strange vertical boilered monstrosities or just about any other alien looking machines as well. Virtually anything goes if you want to freelance the earlier days of the railways.

Admittedly too early for your idea but this little beaut, based very loosely on "Novelty" from the Rainhill trails, was built by my late friend John Marsden for his 1830s themed layout.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds interesting. plenty of scope for wagon turntables.
The Hornby coaches are a bit big and out of proportion, I would suggest some HO ones like the Piko 4 wheelers. Otherwise something cobbled up from Ratio coach kit parts.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene Kruger wrote:
I'm sure that second pic was included in an article in MTI within the past couple of years. Don't know which one unfortunately.

Quite right, Gene. It was the articles on the railways of Watchet, in Somerset - hence West Somerset Minerals Railway. I think the first one also appeared, but was very small.

Bob, as you say the period I'm going for is just about as railways start to be recognisable by mid/late 20th century standards; still a bit primitive and strange, but not antediluvian.

The picture above shows what sort of carriage stock might appear; it was dated about 1880, by which time the coach body (dating to about 1840-50) was in use as a staff hut at St Rollox works. Is that dandy on the roof-seat the foreman? Wearing what look like winklepicker shoes, a natty 3-piece suit and button-hole and a cowboy hat; what clothing style was he inventing? Laughing

This picture from my Aberford article is also not a million miles away, though this dates from the early 20th century, I think.

giles b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ruedetropal] The Hornby coaches are a bit big and out of proportion, I would suggest some HO ones like the Piko 4 wheelers. Otherwise something cobbled up from Ratio coach kit parts.[/quote]

I have a body for a Ratio brake/3rd, although at present it's in reserve for a possible GWR layout (also have a Pannier) Having resisted the GWR thing since 1960, perhaps it's time to have a go in a couple of years time. Smile

Yesterday I did a bit of chopping on a Hornby coach, to be able to fit a flatter roof. So far it looks promising. I foresee taking the buffers and couplings off the underframe, and getting rid of the sole-bars, so as to fit new ones level with the top of the floor - should save about 2mm - plus the 3mm saved off the roof peak, which should give a good result. Hope to post more in about a week or so.
Broadoak

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much like the look of this project Giles, very interesting.

Some contractors had some most interesting locomotives.
Lots of possibilities for freelancing some motive power.

Kind regards Peter
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Yesterday I did a bit of chopping on a Hornby coach, to be able to fit a flatter roof. So far it looks promising. I foresee taking the buffers and couplings off the underframe, and getting rid of the sole-bars, so as to fit new ones level with the top of the floor - should save about 2mm - plus the 3mm saved off the roof peak, which should give a good result.

John Marsden did the same thing with a couple of Hornby four wheelers, but they're not in the box I thought they were in so I can't post a picture at the moment, sorry. The effect was that they looked longer as well as not being so high. The Hornby coaches always look as if they're made to fit the brake van chassis, as indeed they are, and thus too short. One of them is mounted on the innards of a diesel motor bogie and acts as a ghost to push dummy locos.

Graham W

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles,

Malcolm Carlsson did some interesting articles on modelling early British railways back in the 1980's. Check out -:
Scale Trains July 1983 (loco's), Scale Trains Oct. 1983 (coal mine, track & wagons) & SMT Oct.1985 (coaches). There may be other articles, but the ST/SMT/MTI indexes aren't easy to navigate!
Although he modelled in British HO scale and a slightly earlier period than your plans, the conversions of Hornby, Ratio & Airfix stock may be of use to you (his conversion of a Airfix 'Rocket' kit into a Stephenson 2-2-2 tender loco is suitable for a later period).
Also worth looking at is the coaching stock used on the early Bodmin & Wadebridge line, as the 4-wheel coaches ran un until the line was incorporated in the LSWR system in the 1880's.

Graham
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 'Crewe-type'' 2-4-0 may be archetypal too...?

[Buddicom, etc]

Check out the likes of WOrsley Works etches, etc, esp. for Highland Railway stock?

Also, ballast over the sleeper tops....and chairs [keys] on the inside of the rail face...
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed at the feedback on this thread. Just to pick up on some of the points being raised:-

Graham - yes, I've got all those issues in my collection. I think it has been the image in the back of my mind of Malcolm's North Cornwall Railway station module that may have triggered this present flight of fantasy. I had been thinking of building a sort-of cross between Snape and the Sling branch, for my possible GWR project, and then got the idea that the same layout, if built with rather unkempt infrastructure, as if an absorbed light railway (as in the Cleobury Mortimer & Ditton Priors line), it might be possible to multimode with the 1860 idea. Now I suspect the turntable-based plan may win the day as it would do away with having to change the population, horse carts for cars etc on the change-over. But that leaves me with a third layout if I do the GWR plan - and what about the American stock, in a box in the loft??? Oh dear..........

Alastair, A Buddicom would be nice - or the Crewe type, but that's scratch-building, isn't it? Current thoughts are to use Hornby 0-04-0ST which is a brilliant runner without having been converted, and a hacked about L&Y Pug which will probably get a new body - but as yet no plans have emerged as to what this might look like. I need time to get the body off and see what's underneath the saddle tank. However, many years ago I made an approximation of Wantage "Jane/Shannon" on a defunct Bachmann Pug chassis and motor block, so I'm pretty sure it can be done. A similar conversion appeared about a year ago in Hornby magazine.

Yes, the need to have just rails set in earth or grass was what started to make me think of the practicalities and problems of GWR/1860 multi-moding.

I've just picked up a couple of eBay lots with some very useful odds and ends for various projects. Tonight's lot came in for the maiden bid of 1p (+ postage), making the unit price 39p each! They should be called Penny Dreadfuls, all being in a shocking state, but there are about four wagon underframes that could be converted for use, 3 of them old Jouef HO ones. Project 1860 has also gained another Hornby short coach body for chopping. The rest will either go in a junk-sales box at shows I visit or be used to make more On30 stock
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Joueff wagon frames might work well under chopped down Hornby four wheeled coaches and/or Ratio cut and shut jobs, freeing up the heavier Hornby underframes from the coaches for On30 projects.

A cheap and cheerful open wagon can be made by chopping the top off a (Tri-ang in this case) van and re-mounting it on the chassis (make sure it's one of the older style, wooden, underframes instead of one with newer steel channel solebars). This gives the characteristic curved ends seen on some 1800s wagons.

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent suggestion, Bob; many thanks. I have a collection of wagon underframes and will check to see if they've wooden or steel solebars. Meanwhile I'll look out for cheap bodies at the show I'm at tomorrow. [Edit] Thought I had an ancient Tri-ang wagon chassis, but realise that I threw it way. Idiot! NEVER THROW ANYTHING AWAY!!!

I also have a Hornby van body which is an actual Hull & Barnsley prototype - scheduled to run on Shellsea (early Grouping era) when I have a suitable underframe and have repainted it. Also have a couple of high round-ended LB&SCR open wagon kits. These have an alternative flat end. If I make one of each for Shellsea, I can use the spare curved ends for 1860 on another body. Or I could paint SR on one side and have the other side showing a number only and use the wagon facing out this way on 1860.

Last edited by giles b on Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: