FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More butchery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't quite see how the new pivot is fixed. The arrow is pointing at the pivot screw, but how is this attached to the bogie?

On my Forney I had thought of having the pivot bolt running in a transverse slot in the floor below the bunker or, failing this, making the pivot point in front of the bogie with an arm connected to another pivot point at the bogie centre (like the front bogie on the old Tri-ang 4-4-0 class L1 loco). An attachment to the front of the bogie does seem a neater arrangement, and I'll watch developments here with interest.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't at the moment, but I will add a keeper plate on the screw so that the bogie can float freely, side to side, up and down, and swivelling, around the pivot point but will lift off the track when the loco is picked up. Solder, coiled around the axles, will provide the weight to keep the bogie on the track.

The bogie will not actually provide any support for the loco but the cab and bunker will be an empty box with little weight involved. Additional weight could be added in the smokebox to counterbalance the rear end but I doubt it will be needed.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought (yes, spent money) some styrene sheet today but I'll wait until number 19 is completed before doing any serious work on the Forney. In the meantime, the method of attachment for the bogie works even without additional weight added...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DCjTOKOpOY

It works just as well in the other direction, propelling, uphill.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid a visit to the toyfair in Crewe this morning. Another six "rare collectors' items" have met with the usual fate of such toys when they come into my possession. They're even rarer now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQukNsmjhzw

The small caboose has been converted back to On30. It had been re-gauged to run on Muston Sands but, with increasing freight traffic on the FCPyF, it's now mounted on a chassis left over from today's cut and shut job on the wagons.

giles b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me a moment, watching the video, to realise that the tall-sided open with cupboard-style doors was in fact the two vans, suitably cut down. An interesting conversion.
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
Another six "rare collectors' items" have met with the usual fate of such toys when they come into my possession. They're even rarer now!.

I take it as read Bob that you didn't pay "rare, collectors' " prices. Wink Laughing Cool
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a 2 price ticket on one; is that a Collectors' price?. Hope you got a bulk-buy discount, Bob.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 on a couple of them, 3 on some others, seeming to depend upon the wheel sets/couplers with older ones being cheaper. And yes, I got a discount for bulk which worked out as getting one wagon free.

There was another trader flogging the exact same wagons at 4 or 5 each. I didn't buy them.

The high sided open is quite neat. I'll be getting some more vans next time I see any going at the right price. An advantage here is that a van with its roof missing is cheaper... And I don't need the roof anyway.

Since posting yesterday's video of the wagons heading north on the main line they have been painted and sent south again.

http://playingtrains.wordpress.com/2015/10/11/old-greys/

Number 19 on the point, proving that the saddle tank loco has ample pulling power for freight ops on a Transandean line.

giles b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock and rolling wagons Laughing Could I guess original Triang wheels as well as couplings? Perhaps they belonged to a subsidiary company that has slightly different track-gauging parameters.I believe something rather similar used to happen at one time on the 3ft Majorcan system when some wagons were run on the city's street tramway en-route to the docks.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed so, the scenery was made to clear RP25 flanges so the Tri-ang wheels do tend to run on the grass or ballast in places rather than on the rails. Not that bothered though because the siding at Resurreccion doesn't get a lot of use. When a wagon gets set out there it tends to stay put for weeks on end. The FCPyF probably makes as much from demurrage as it does from shipping costs. Rolling Eyes

Definitely going to be retreating indoors soon, there was frost on the lawn this morning. Cuarto Sheds and San Fernandez Terminus will be my main haunts over winter! Talking of which SFT could do with an update in my layouts thread.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on the new Forney this morning. The superstructure is still card mock-ups but the chassis is now quite robust and can be handled without falling apart... Also it has grown another axle so it's now a 2-4-4T.

http://playingtrains.wordpress.com/2015/10/17/a-sleight-change-of-plan/

Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
Rock and rolling wagons Laughing ....

... and squeaky axle boxes!! Shocked Laughing Cool

You can't get that with DCC sound!!! Wink
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good morning's work there, I'd say, Bob. The Forney's coming along nicely. The dummy leading pony truck is a neat idea, too.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I've made the bunker this morning and attached the frames to the Percy mechanism. I was sceptical about the balance at this stage but there are three pennies in front of the motor inside the boiler and these even things out. The cab, when added, will be more or less neutral for balance, especially if I use a cast white metal chimney and/or dome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gESZLp4Vkno

Had enough of styrene cement fumes for now. I think a dog-walk to the pub may be in order after lunch. Very Happy

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an old die-cast bus body in the scrap-box earlier this week. I had originally (back in 2010) converted this into a railcar but it was top heavy and a very bad runner so it didn't last long after newer passenger stock became available.

I've spent twenty minutes in the garage with the angle grinder, an awesome tool, the bus body has had the top deck and driver's seat removed, also the rear entrance platform has been trimmed ready for adding new steps on both sides. The lower bodywork of the die-cast bus had been hacked open to allow a mechanism to fit in so I've replaced the planking (with coffee stirrers) to restore this area and trimmed a OO wagon chassis to fit inside.

That's the progress so far. The rest should be simple enough, just card and more coffee stirrers.

I reckon it looks a bit like something you might have found on a British light railway between the wars, perhaps Colonel Stephens's interests extended to Sierra Oculta at one time? I'm not sure if the local peasantry will be as enamoured with it when they catch the mixed train to market and find what's behind the goods wagons as the passenger accommodation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: