FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

re-inventing the 6ft by 4ft layout

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: re-inventing the 6ft by 4ft layout Reply with quote

I suspect many of us started with the classic 6ft by 4ft table top layout. Now there are big problems with this size of layout, as it is often too big to store, and difficult to move round. There also seem to be a lot of wasted space, in particular the corners,
If you think of the board as six boards each only 2ft by 2ft, then it becomes easier. I am designing 6 small boards, which make better use of the space, and hopefully when put together create something interesting. In theory it might be possible to swap boards around , even build more, so different layouts could be created.
Here is the first, and yes it does use my inset/dockyard track. I have managed to fit in 4 curved points and 2 standard points, all Setrack. All curves are 2nd radius.

The space in middle could be used for building or cut out completely.
I am considering a board with more inset track, and bridges on mainline(my 3D porinted ones), then a double junction, and a station board. The station could be set up as a through or terminus. That leaves 2 boards, one could have a couple of sidings to store locos, and the other kept plain and simple, possible a tunnel, not sure.
I am also hoping it might be possible to bolt them together in pairs for safer transport and storage. Not sure how they would be fixed together for operation yet.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to need a bigger car. Laughing

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will only fit 6 in at any time. It is also a project I am planning to use at demonstrations of my 3d printed track, when I will only be taking one module.

As a concept, you have actually made it look even better, as it could be a good way for someone to build their first layout and then expand it. Although it can be used for exhibitions, my main aim is for layouts at home. Most people don't take layouts to exhibitions, and most of them don't have space for a large permanent layout.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: