FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Narrow gauge book should be ready to go to printers ....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Narrow gauge book should be ready to go to printers .... Reply with quote

....... in a couple of days. Probably released early New Year to avoid the holiday postal melee. #4 will probably be titled Modelling British Branch Lines and Industries - publication date TBN
steve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not being 'narrow-minded' I'm not bothered about No 3...but No 4 sounds right up my siding!

steve Smile
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve wrote:
Not being 'narrow-minded' I'm not bothered about No 3...but No 4 sounds right up my siding!

steve Smile

No doubt there'll be an edition dedicated to Brunel's folly for broad minded readers some day. Laughing

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to getting a copy already. They are turning into an interesting digest of the many years of the magazine - sometimes easier to find a favourite article in, and save a lot of time going back through all the issues. I never could remember which editions had the Index, as it only seemed to come out every two years or so.
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve wrote:

steve Smile

Same here, really. I've never had the inclination to model Narrow Gauge myself, although I'll happily observe & appreciate a good NG layout, so this Issue not for me, but No.4 sounds good. Doubt any of my stuff will feature in it, though - I didn't have much of my UK outline published in MTI.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to stir it( Laughing ) , OO gauge is strictly speaking narrow gauge as it is less than 18dot... whatever Laughing

More seriously, narrow gauge(in particular ))9) is going through a period of intense interest. I have many of the PSL etc books which had links with many on this forum and the MTI related magazines so there is not much new in some of the new books out(Railway Modeller have a narrow gauge special out at the moment).
Having said that many of the narrow gauge layouts have ideas that can be incorporated into any standard gauge layout with freight/industry sections.

With related to narrow gauge, I have often had to explain to people that OO9 is not the same as N gauge, so the more written about the subject the better.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Currently with the printers and will hopefully be available next week Prices as previously 7.50 post free in UK and 10.00 post free overseas direct from Chris
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good. One thing though, is that as soon as someone sets something down in concrete about narrow gauge, someone else comes up with something new, whether it is scale, gauge or a new combination.
From the original Gn15, other minimum gauges evolved to make use of the standard track gauges available. I was talking to someone about 18in on 16.5mm gauge, in 1/27.5 scale. It makes sense, and I resized one of my design for a 3D printed model for the person.
Thing is , books on narrow gauge modelling are always welcome, but they can get out of date quicker than other modelling books. Narrow gauge is still being ignored by many magazines, but hopefully the new models for OO9 will increase interest.
As many make use of standard cheap models from Hornby, Bachmann , and for 9mm , Kato and Tomtec, it can take even less time to get out of date, when chassis designed for something else are withdrawn.

shortliner2001

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who have placed orders, expect a "thud" on your doormat - my copy arrived this lunchtime
C Ford

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 'review' copy arrived yesterday. Initial flick though turned up a few surprises, not least that one of my own layouts is included. The introductory bits and the section on Shays/logging is worth the cover price. Full review in SRI in due course.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived last week - just finished reading it, but almost missed a very small but interesting section on the possibilities of using 1/55th scale (5.5mm/ft) to portray 3ft American narrow gauge. Shame there wasn't time to explore this further in the magazine.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles, there is quite a bit about using 5.5mm /ft for American 3ft gauge on the 5.5mm site. Not sure about some of the recommendations of using O scale cars etc, especially as there are now quite a few in scales very close.
I think I have mentioned it before, but GEM did consider bringing out some models to run on 16.5mm track. I was told by their representative at Manchester exhibition 20 years ago, but when I mentioned it to Malcolm Savage , he had not heard it. I think it was just an idea, which did not make it to design stage.It is my justification for stretching it to represent metre gauge.
Sounds a good book. Is it new stuff, or a selection of old articles?

Just found this link
http://www.55n3.org/

There appears to be a new(or restarted) 5.5mm association, certainly a new website.
http://www.5andahalf.info/

For me the scale offers a lot, and there are plenty of potential accessories because 28mm wargaming is very near to same scale. As a mathematician, having scale 1/55 and 5.5mm/ft, have a nice rhythm to it.

cp409067

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruedetropal wrote:

There appears to be a new(or restarted) 5.5mm association, certainly a new website.
http://www.5andahalf.info/

My understanding is that the 5.5mm Association has existed since 1984. The web-site had a re-vamp a couple of years ago.

CP

Portpyn 1:34
StPierre 1:34e
SuttonWharf 1:25
ParadiseMiningCo 1:25
BrinkValleyTramway 1:43.5
PyntonTramwayCo 1:43.5

Forthcoming Exhibitions 2017

5 Aug: MOMING'17 - BVT
9-10 Sep: REC (Woking) - BVT
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christopher, either the yahoo forum is out of date, or I think the association has had another revamp. It was not clear from what was on various sites that there was a proper association. Current website has contact info and links to suppliers including Chris Ward and Tom Bell, so must be recent changes.
There still is not that much written about the scale, so anything about it helps. Sharing helpful info does a lot of good. It still does surprise me that is some recommend using 1/50 scale road vehicles, but the scale difference about the same as using 1/50 for British O gauge. There is actually quite a lot available for 1/55 or very close, more than for 1/64(S scale) in fact.
It has actually got me thinking about first mini layout in 1/55 scale. just to try it, as I have enough to get started, and it won't be difficult to resize some more 3D printed designs.

CRACKED

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon

Did you consider using S scale as on 16.5mm this would be just as close?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: