FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dave Brewer Memorial Challenge 2016
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Dave Brewer Memorial Challenge 2016 Reply with quote

The challenge for next year's ExpoNG has now been announced, full information is here: http://expong.org/dave-brewer-challenge
Simon.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already at it. I don't intend to enter the result for judging, because I'm too far away, but it will enable me to start exhibiting again, at least locally, because it's small enough to carry on public transport.

http://playingtrains.wordpress.com/2015/12/10/2016-ngrmexpong-dave-brewer-challenge-2/

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the rocks on the blog version of this post, Bob. From a Berry's Electrical Fire, I wonder? I certainly remember those coal and log effects from way back. In fact a few years ago I found someone selling just the moulded coals and did think of them as model rocks - but did not have any plans to build mountains or quarries just then, so left them in the shop. Shame, they were very cheap!
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Bob, I think I am too far away to actually enter, and also think there might be another exhibition I am at that weekend. Not sure.
Anyway, Bob's photo makes it a lot clearer. For some reason I thought it as 2 points and 3 sidings. Makes sense.
In some ways I prefer when there is a limit to size of board, but then that favours smaller gauges. The A4/A3/A2 size limits relating to gauge gets round that problem.
I am now tempted, but using large gauge(32mm or 45mm).

Maybe there needs to be an online version of this challenge for those that can not get to the exhibition.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also started my entry (H0e).......
Bob's is looking good; it's a pity you can't make it down.
The size limits are more about available space than anything else; I suppose SOME sort of limit is needed but as with any such thing (even building a layout for your own use at home) there will always be an element of "if only there were more space".
I suppose the fairest way to set the maximum size is the way it was done at Expometrique some years ago when I entered my 0-14 sewage works; multiples of gauge.
The size discussion for the 2016 challenge started out with the idea of A3 for 9mm gauge and bigger for larger gauges but moved on to centimetre dimensions.....I suppose if you want the biggest possible size for your gauge than the answer is to select the smallest gauge in whichever size band you want.......works for 9mm anyway!
The entries for 2015 were very impressive. It's fascinating to see the variety of ways in which entrants interpreted the challenge.....hopefully this time will be as good or even better.
Simon.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't look upon size limitations as a negative thing with a layout. The whole idea of the micro, especially when using larger scales, is to see what can be fitted in, where, and how.

With a simple tuning fork good running is essential to maintain interest, both for the operator and the viewer, and this is where larger scales score well. It is easier to get good running in G or O scales because of the extra weight that can be fitted into the locos.

I've been thinking about the layout while stuck in Congleton's and Crewe's traffic jams this morning. As well as the obvious stone traffic there may be a passenger service, at least for one day (12th August) each year.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same type of size limits were used for RAMMA two years ago. My APA box with short 'fiddle' sticks nicely fitted in the boundaries.
Swanley is always going to be difficult for us living up north. Tucked up around the back of SE London, and there is no easy way to get there just for a day. It is actually easier to get to from mainland Europe.
Doubly frustrating for me, as I used to live just down the road. With an overnight train service from Manchester to London, it would be doable, but I don't fancy the overnight coach service, partly because it is almost same price as low cost trains, and not easy to sleep.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible to get to Euston for about 8am from Manchester, not looked for local services across London but I would have thought that it would be possible to get to the venue by ten? The challenge layout, stock and controller will fit in a holdall so it's easy enough to carry on the trains.

It would be a long day though. Shocked

giles b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackcloud Railways wrote:
It's possible to get to Euston for about 8am from Manchester, not looked for local services across London but I would have thought that it would be possible to get to the venue by ten? The challenge layout, stock and controller will fit in a holdall so it's easy enough to carry on the trains.

It would be a long day though. Shocked

.....and the venue is not terribly conveniently situated for the local station as all road traffic is routed around the town centre and the large commercial development that has been plonked down across what must once have been the main route through the town.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such is modern town planning, the motor car is king, the pedestrian is not welcome. Crying or Very sad

I'm still not deterred from building the new micro, especially having played with it this morning once the wiring was in place. These "challenges" work wonders though because they just add that little bit of impetus that's needed to get something moving.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob said
Quote:
Such is modern town planning, the motor car is king, the pedestrian is not welcome.

Thing is, they are now finding they can not afford to keep those roads in good condition, mainly because of heavy freight traffic. The motor car is not king, more like a very bad drug we can not break free from.

One reason I was so determined to get to Manchester exhibition, as it was possible to get there by train. I think there should be a big discount for anyone using public transport(in particular trains/trams) to get to exhibitions. We should be seen to be promoting the things we are actually interested in.
I use a car a lot. It is not practical any other way for many of the places I go to, but if I can get somewhere by train, then I will do so.

The 'road' problem for Swanley is even worse as virtually impossible to avoid M25.

Maybe the theme for the exhibition competition should be to build a layout that is brought to the exhibition by train, and I mean is actually brought that way, not just in theory possible, with marks awarded for size. That would be a challenge.
My Port d'Étropal , paste table layout was originally designed to be taken by train to Paris, but it grew a bit too much. It would have been interesting to see it go through security.
I am currently planning a small fold up layout and 3D demo stand which can be taken to shows and clubs easily. Would be about size of a small/medium sized suitcase.

Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As ExpoNG is organised by a club which has its roots in Greenwich (although we no longer meet there) it is pretty much inevitable that the venue will be in the south east......in fact, Swanley is rather easier to get to than West Greenwich House (the original venue) would be nowadays to say nothing of the lack of parking in the vicinity.
One of the things that boosts the show is the strong international dimension; we regularly have many visitors from France, Belgium, The Netherlands and Germany.
Our five Japanese guests this year (complete with layout and display stand) seemed to get there ok as well.......
Simon.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, I made the point that it is actually easier to get to from mainland Europe.
I am not criticising those running the exhibition. The old venue for Narrow Gauge North was also not the easiest place to get to by public transport, but it might be something clubs should think about for the future, if possible. I am sure we all want to promote our hobby, and make it as accessible as possible.
It would not be a problem if I had family still living in that corner, but as a family we moved around and so that is not an option.
Once my 3D printing really takes off, I will be in the position to pop down (by train) for the weekend. In fact, I might even then be traveling over from France(I hope).

When I was at the Tracks to the Trenches event last year, I asked visitors where they had traveled from, and interestingly there were very few from south east(if any), as getting to other side of London is the difficult part. When I drive down to France, it always takes as long for the south east part of the trip as the rest of the UK part of the journey, and I know the area and that there are no decent alternatives to the M25. It is just too crowded around there.

Simon Hargraves

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Simon,
I didn't think you were criticising, sorry if my previous post gave that impression!

The M25 and especially the Dartford Crossing is a major headache for some of us on a regular basis as journey times to meetings have increased....some are in Essex, some in Surrey.

There have also been times when exhibitors and traders have come to Swanley from quite a distance and had an ok journey until they hit that last bit, it's also noticeable on the day that roadworks or an incident on the M25 can cause peaks and troughs in the numbers coming in.......and then there's engineering work and the odd cancelled train if coming by rail.

You're quite right; the worst bit of any journey from the south eastern corner towards The Midlands, The North and East Anglia is getting past London......it can be very off-putting and I'm not surprised there's a lack of us attending things like TTTT!

For events up north I prefer the train, which is fine provided you can get from a station to wherever the event is......same problem, different way round!

I'll have to try to figure out another hosting site than Flickr so I can post pics of my challenge entry's progress.
Regards,
Simon.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not use the Dartford crossing on principal now. Having to pay via mobile phone(?) after you go through is crazy. It is also run by part of the company which handles the payment systems on French motorways, and I have a simple electronic device in car which registers me going through toll booths. Simple and effective.
Train would probably be my choice if(but hopefully when) I do go to Swanley. If I as taking something for the competition, I would make it so it could be taken on the train.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: