FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New 3D printed buildings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: New 3D printed buildings Reply with quote

I suppose my workbench is as much my computer as my table in my orkshop.
Inspired by the free Metcalf kit with Railway Modeller, I wondered if I could design something similar for 3D printing. All those bricks, and I knew my computer would object, so I split it into 3 sections. I am now thinking of a modular building system.Still need some work on roof tiles(they are tricky to line up), and finish off the drain pipes.

Still needs some work on slates and drainpipes, but I think I can use this as a start of something new. Details on each section can be changed, different windows, roof, stonework/bricks etc.
Prices were not too bad considering.
This is in 4mm scale, and it shout resize quite easily, I hope.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got first sample of the shop base I started upgrading the design.
First thing was to make it easier to fit glazing with slots on inside of windows, so glazing(in theory) will just clip in. Second thing is to create some parts such as doors and windows as components, and bring them together as one assembly.
I have found that overall file size is not as high as feared, so it is possible to 'assemble' the whole building as one piece. This means that fittings(drainpipes) can be changed, roof can be changed, and it is possible to add different shop names to front.
Biggest hurdle with using components is keeping track of them, but hopefully by starting with one organised design, it will be easier to create and maintain variations.
Shapewas do offer a 'customise' option, but I am not sure how (or if) I can change my designs to allow that. If I can, then I could let people add their own shop names.

I have started with 1/76 scale, but in theory I will be able to resize the designs, changing wall thickness to compensate.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent a lot of time, possibly too long, revising designs, and modularising the design, so that sections can be changed easily.
I have managed to make it into a double fronted unit, near to max megabyte size. Excess internal walls were removed.
Less complex designs, such as stone in place of brick, will allow more sections to be added. Also I hope to be able to resize the models, but this will be more complicate as fitting resized sections together is still a bit tricky. Once it has been built into designs and assemblies then it will be easy to sap things around.

The single width models work out at about 30 each, the double one is about 55 . That might seem high, but are similar to resin r2p models, just needing painting and glazing added. They are a fraction of the weight, so a hole town can easily be carried.

Still a lt to do, making sure everything can be found is important.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved on to HO scale version , with a French theme. Started with a boulangerie, possibly one of the most important shops in any French commune.
Design evolved out of the original OO version.
Sample received and painted

This is now available. It is a complete unit, just needing window glass and painting.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

much of my house and shop range is now available. Still need to do some complete buildings(still LR) .
Moved onto to warehouse designs, which can be used for a variety of uses. Includes section to connect to my inset track .

mixture with stone brick and rendered surface. Plan to do an open doorway so working track can run through and doors can be opened and closed, drainpipes will be added as well. Roof sections are same as house and shops.
As the width is 60mm it should be possible to use for parallel track, with slight mods. HO versions are only 52mm wide but will have same track insert, so could be modified to suit standard Setrack distances as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: