FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SRI No.4.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: SRI No.4. Reply with quote

Anyone else got their's, yet?

Was a nice surprise on the doormat yesterday morning.
To comment on just one of the articles, I'm definitely in the "yes, use Backscenes" camp - although one of my layouts intentionally doesn't... Rolling Eyes Shocked Razz
Graham W

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's arrived here in East London as well. Another good mix of articles and 2 or 3 good idea's for small layouts.
I like Peter Smith's article on using artists frames for lightweight baseboards. I have a branch of 'The Works' near to me and will investigate at the earliest opportunity, although the danger is that if this idea takes off, they will soon run out of stock!
Re. Backscenes...I would also say 'Yes' but only if they add to the appearance of the layout. Having seen Andrew Knights 'Cross Ness' layout 'in the flesh', I can confirm that the backscene is very effective and definitely gives the impression of the slightly misty North Thames location.
GrahamW
pacific231g

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: SRI No.4. Reply with quote

Jordan wrote:
Anyone else got their's, yet?

Yes, mine arrived a few days ago. I think this was the best so far so congratulations to Chris. I'm also very interested in Pete Smith's lightweight baseboard idea.
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not arrived yet - maybe today when I get home it will be waiting eagerly for me!?

Roger Very Happy

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook.
Roger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah! It was waiting for me on the table!

Looks a good read, only flicked through so far

Thanks
Roger

Very Happy

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook.
CRACKED

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky People,

Still waiting for it to turn up in Lowestoft, Suffolk
C Ford

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The final batch went out today, so if you've not already received it, you should all have No 4 by Thursday.
CF
steve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine arrived today.

Thanks

steve
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good read, this month. It almost seemed as if there were a couple of extra pages, although I don't think there were. A very small quibble - it would be nice to have more informative picture captions. I had to study the pictures of the light-weight baseboard for a while to see what the written description meant. Having said that, Chris managed to find some cracking pictures of the St Pauls branch in Halifax to go with my words and drawings.

Nice to see Thunder Hill in print. I've seen this layout at shows several times, and it always pays another visit. A very well put-together model, worked in an absolutely authentic manner; it just shows off TT scale to its best advantage, as quite a lot of operating potential has been fitted into not a lot of space to maximum effect. The authentic use of signalling has much to do with this, allied to an interesting selection of trains. That ballast brake van that gets two pictures is a case in point. Having recently moved into the ex-LB&SCR catchment area, I'm becoming quite a fan!
CRACKED

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One minor point on Giles Article.

He lists Alnmouth as an example of a terminus without a runround. I believe he meant Eyemouth (NBR). Almouth station (NER) is on the ECML and is still open. It was the junction for the branch to Alnwick, part of which has now been reopened by the Aln Valley Railway.

There was an article on Eyemouth in the Railway Modeller March 1975, which included a drawing of the Station Building.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Clive, you're absolutely right - it was Eyemouth. I'd read the details some time ago in a copy of Branchlines (I think it was), but then wrote the piece from memory; always fatal! Never saw the RM article, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: