FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working level crossing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:58 am    Post subject: Working level crossing. Reply with quote

I thought I had posted something already on my first experiments with a 3D printed working level crossing, but can't find it now.
Any way, i had put that project on hold as I was having problems with first test sample, Then i saw an advert in RM about a 3D printed LC system using servos, and the gate posts were longer and went through baseboard. I had wanted mine to be table top , but by making the posts longer it stabalises the gates so they don't wobble when they are opened and closed. It also means my mechanism can be attached above or below board. It will fit to the Hornby level crossing, with replacement gates. Other scales are being considerd, along with other gate/door and window(not forgetting shutters) mechanisms.
The mark 2 version of the level crossing was received last week, and I managed to put it together. It actually worked, and I showed it off at exhibition over the weekend. I had already worked out a mark 3 version, much improved, which should also enable a 2 gate crossing to work, with only one movement. Fingers crossed.

One thing, I have just been invited to the Southampton/Eurotrack show in February, and hopefully will not only have my dockside APA box layouts, but also something using the level crossing mechanism.
I plan to be demonstrating the inset track system and how easy it is to fit together.
This means no excuse for anyone south of Watford, I will be there in person(Weather permitting). This will be followed up over the next 3 weekends at Rainhill(demo), Macclesfield(trade) and Heywood(demo). I then have a break till May,but I hope to have a holiday in April, so unless it is something special, I will probably turn down any invites for April. Please ask though. I would love to be at one of the big national shows.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

words don't describe it that well, so here is latest version of mechanism as can be fitted to single crossing. Could also be at 90 degrees. I am considering versions of gear set for other angles.

It would be possible to have both gates opening with one movement , but in practice it is easier to open one then the other. 4 gate crossings have all gates opening at same time.
The track is only raised by about a mm, which means unit fits under level crossing base. Unit could also fit under the board.
Same unit will operate model doors, and with a double pin on control arm can move door through 180 degrees.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mechanism now available online.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gone back to original design, and managed to modify it with the mechanisms integral. This results in base being 1.5mm higher, which is only thickness of thin cork.
From this a single track version evolved, and then an O gauge single track version with base same size as OO double track. O scale gates as well.
Each gate can be moved by its own control stick, and I have (I hope) got a combined one to operate the double crossing. The last attempt was too fragile so this version has been strengthened.
Just a few small details such as lamps to design.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will post a picture, but the latest version looks like it should be OK. It works, just painting it at the moment. Derby exhibition at the weekend.

Just a couple of very small things to modify, one being some tabs so it can be fixed down easier, and I might thin done the posts as the printing process means they need a slight shave to fit the gears, otherwise perfect. The posts are long enough to go through a thin baseboard, but as they are held well and don't seem to flop around it might be possible to cut them so the level crossing sits on top of baseboard.

I can now feel confident the OO single track one will be OK with above mods, and for the O gauge one, I am thinking that if the post part of the gate can be designed with a square ho;le in it, then it would be possible to fit a 2.4mm square rod, metal preferably, as an alternative option.

Also want to look at maybe a 1/32 scale version, for 32mm gauge, possibly a 45mm gauge one as well. Need to check dimensions.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

working perfectly, all 3 versions(OO double and single, O gauge single) now available.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: