FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Book info, and a question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:30 am    Post subject: Book info, and a question Reply with quote

Spoke to Chris last night, who tells me that the Branch line book should go to printers next week

Now the question - Chris is considering the subject for the next book. Obviously there is no sense producing something for which there is no demand. Would there be much interest in a book covering Modelling German railways? French Railways? Would readers like to suggest suitable subjects?

I open the floor to discussion
Genetk44

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found Chris' articles on the various German railways, stations etc very interesting. Unfortunately I came to MTI late enough to have missed the first 12 issues...so missed eveything in those.
Jordan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have thought German, French etc railways could all be put in one "Continental" volume? Widens the scope to include Dutch, Danish, Norwegian... I bet there's a layout or idea from almost every EU Country featured in MT/SMT/MTI, over the years!!
Despite not modelling any European stuff myself, I'd probably buy such a book just for the interest and MTI nostalgia!! (in contrast to the N.G. book which I wasn't really interested in at all.)
Another volume to perhaps consider is one to cover tips & techniques; couplers in particular spring to mind as a subject that always gets lots of questions. The choices of wheels and track gauges, that sort of thing. Just so long as "bogus ballasting" only gets a passing mention... Laughing Wink
steve

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that Continental would be better than country-specific; there is a lot of common ground after all.

As for couplings/ballast/etc Chris has already done that in his Next Steps In Railway Modelling book.

Will be buying the Branch Line Book.

steve
CRACKED

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what has happened is that Chris has realised he has enough material on French and German Railways (especially if he reprints some of the articles on the prototypes - including articles in SMT) to do separate books on these.

Having said that my personal preference would be for German Raillways
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to France and Germany, there is so much variety(I hope) that having specific country issues makes sense. For say Scandinavia, as a whole if enough then that in one, but it all depends on how much material there is for each country or region.
Given m interest in France, I would prefer one on French railways, but I am happy to wait.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-ordered Branch line books are in the post per phone call last night
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with Simon: there's enough interest in each country to provide the material for country specific books.

In my local state of Baden-Württemberg there is a huge amount of railway interest from mountain railways in the Black Forest to rural freight carrying narrow gauge tramways near Stuttgart. You could write a book on these and still barely scratch the surface.

Of course commercial viability is another matter...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: