FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The battery power pack.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gwyn1946

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: The battery power pack. Reply with quote

After reading reading Pauls article i ordered two of the recommended HI-Q PWM
motor controllers off E-BAY,UK supplier 6.49 each free delivery to be collected from my local Argos on Wednesday.
I am looking for a battery power source for a small shunty plank.
I am trying to make it cable free.
I will try it out first using a 6v Gell cell lead acid battery, i use several different sizes of these in my model RC boats.
I had a controller built for me by our avionics engineer about 12 yrs ago and with a 6.4 amp Gell cell gave lovely controllable slow speed running with my Athern Baldwin and SW7 switchers,but a few yrs ago i managed to short it out!
This time it is N guage switcher.
The build article came from an old Model Railroader, 70's as i remember.
This modern unit will hopefully be as good.
The battery will be mounted to the planks underside or in a building,if 6 volt proves to be lacking then i will use the 9 volt rechargeable PP3 types.
I have a few different chargers!!
Has any body else built one of these?
Don.
cloggydog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've built something similar - but handheld, using a Really Useful Box 0.2l plastic box, mounting the PWM unit and a dpdt switch through the lid with a 6 x AA battery pack providing the power. As I'm using the same unit on a (growing) selection of micro layouts, there's an output socket at one end, into which different fiddlesticks will plug (using 5.5mm/2.1mm plug & socket sets)

I found a single PP3 would drain very, very quickly, so now use 6 x rechargeable AA (Amazon basic 2400 ma/hr) - I easily get a full weekend's running on a shunting micro with a variety of traction (vintage and modern). the 8v(ish) at rail is plenty for shunting layouts, but there is (just) space in the box for 8 x AA if you need more oomph.

Total cost was about 5 (not including batteries)

I've written it up and taken some pics, all fired off to Chris F for inclusion in SRI.

DSC_0450 by Alan Monk, on Flickr

This is the v1.0, large dpdt and 4 x AA.
gwyn1946

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very neat,i look forward to the forthcoming SRI.
Don.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: