FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ferrocarril Consolidado Pampa y Fernandez
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan, it's not an empire. Sierra Oculta is a small republic with no intentions of invading neighbouring territories.

Mainly because tunnelling through into the house would be a bit OTT... And I'd never get the railway to go upstairs without using a Fell rail or rack and pinion... Don't go giving me ideas! Laughing

Giles, well guessed but #1 will probably be double heading (with #5) instead of having a diesel pusher.

Apart from the railcars diesel traction be confined to the lower level and the high line will be steam territory. As with the real Andean railways the FCPyF has trouble with diesel aspiration at high altitudes. Unlike the major mountaineering lines it does not have any modern I/C motive power. The GE Shovelnose and the ex Peru Rail EMD(ish) road switcher are both quite elderly. Actually both appeared on the FI's first outing at Crewe Heritage Centre in 2010.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

upstairs - no problem, build a spiral outside , and cut through window. Laughing

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting developments outlined recently in your blog, Bob. I, too, like the exercise of compiling a timetable from a train graph; it's surprising, sometimes, how many versions one can get through to fine-tune the system! In your case, I note the track capacities at CdP, and see that there may be scope to park spare freight cars on of the through tracks in the station yard for much of the day, in addition to the goods siding.

Also like the start of the mountains surrounding the route above the two doorways. Should look spectacular when finished, with the trains dominated by the landscape. The halt at P. Lavadora looks full of character. Is this the telegraph stop you described earlier?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Giles

Yes, with a daily service of three passenger trains and one freight each way on the upper section there is quite a bit of leeway for leaving freight cars standing at the station platforms.

I don't know yet whether the telegraph stop at Cumbre (Summit) will get built. Since roughing in much of the contours today I'm not sure if there'll be room for it. I need to squeeze a rock cutting in next to the garden door and it's not going to leave much space for any structures.

The wriggly tin halt is just a passenger shelter, I made it primarily as an experiment for bedding corrugated paper into a glue/sand base but the station name, given due to its location above a certain domestic appliance, appealed to my sense of humour. It translates roughly as that of a colonial capital city... Or a town near Gateshead.

I've been messing about with the lighting in the garage this evening. The fluorescent tube at the top end doesn't work so I replaced it with an inspection lamp hanging from a hook in the ceiling some time ago, repositioning the hook gives a better light over the mountain area but CdP is still in shadow due to a line of washing hanging between it and the tube at the bottom end of the garage. A couple of wall mounted spotlights may be required over the terminus because the line of wet laundry is more or less a permanent feature except for during summer months.

Terraforming blog post on this link + The halt on this link

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puente Casa just needs a lick of paint...

But this is the FCPyF...

So it ain't going to get one...

It will get some heavy rusting instead!

giles b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding your blog comments on the structural integrity of a full-size bridge of this pattern, Bob.........how about adding some strips of card to the exterior to give the feeling that the bridge is made from a series of boxes with open frames, filled in with mesh? Could have a few diagonals as well, for good measure.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a fancy portal to go at the CdP end of the bridge. I'll add a construction date as some time in the early twentieth century above the track, which should suffice as evidence of its integrity!

It's sort of a cross between a lattice girder and a tubular bridge, but the main function of the ironwork is to stop trains falling to certain destruction in case of derailment.

This (click) tubular/girder bridge seems to manage OK with only very light diagonals so maybe a few strategically placed coffee stirrers inside the bridge would suffice.

giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the pictures again, and thinking in scale terms, there is actually a lot of "quarter-inch/foot" steel there. Plenty to keep it straight even with a train passing through. I've got a picture of something similar in France in the back of my mind, but can't remember where I saw it.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down."

Bowie's Station to Station lyrics, as quoted below my signature, seem to be coming true again.

Photographer unknown, date circa 1912. Copyright - Archivo Histórico Sierra Oculta.

http://playingtrains.wordpress.com/2017/01/04/fighting-back/

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not often the FCPyF's smaller locos take to the main line but #5 was spotted with a work train at Cumbre yesterday.

The cliff face is coming together nicely, if messily, as the wet paint/dry ash combination is applied. Dust from this process settling elsewhere on the layout may initially cause some problems until the track is cleaned properly but otherwise it will just serve to mute the colours a bit... Which I have no issues with because colours, like everything else with toy trains, need to be scaled down to look right.

More photos on yesterday's blog post.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mD-c5eL-Bk

A slideshow of the layout, still plenty of scenic work to be done but trains are now running throughout.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Change at Cuarto"

I have been without internet access recently, a good incentive to do some work on the layout without distraction!

While altering the scenery I removed the short loco spur but when I tried running a train there was a dead short. Unable to find the cause I worked back from where the loco spur used to be, removing any wiring that might have been damaged... No joy, So I tried lifting the points one by one to see if one of them was the culprit... Still no joy. By this time there was just a two inch length of track at the bridge end that was live... So this got re-laid.

With the short now cured, but no wiser as to what had been causing it, I replaced the rest of the track but omitted the goods loop in order to make more room for a new station building.

A stub of the loop has been retained at the turntable end to act as a stabling track for the station pilot and the goods siding now joins the main line about half way along the station platform.

Freight handling facilities are limited but LCL traffic can be dealt with in the station and trains are limited to two cars and a caboose anyway because of the steep gradients on the high line.

And the short circuit? All I can guess at is that there is a bit of aluminium foil between the track bed and the baseboard. The thin plywood used for the track bed was salvaged from a skip and had loft insulation foam glued to it. This was polystyrene foam sandwiched between to sheets of foil, some of which might still be stuck to the plywood. The two pins used to secure the rails at the baseboard end must have created the short as they went through the foil. Ho hum, anyway though, I quite like the new track layout at CdP... AND... There is now a spare set of right handed points so I might be tempted to reinstate the San Pedro branch from Cumbre!

giles b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liking the new open look to at CdP, Bob, plus the new cliff beside the turntable. I see you've been upsetting the collectors again, though, cutting up old Tri-and loco sheds Wink

And a possible route to San Pedro, too. Where will that branch end - in the room, I mean?
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, Tri-ang toys get rarer and more valuable every time I cut one up. The loco shed to offices conversion was part of San Fernandez Terminus but the building earmarked for the new station building is a newcomer to the FCPyF.

The San Pedro branch, drawn as part of the original extension plan, would end in a single staging track behind Rio Paleta (in an area currently occupied by a jumble of wiring and discarded track sections). Extending it beyond there would be difficult because of limited clearance where there is a buttress in the garage wall. There's no way I'm going to make an O scale tunnel through it and any attempt to run the track around it, at a higher level than the upper incline, would be impossible to hide in the scenery between Rio and Centrales.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one bites the dust...

Tri-ang collectors should look away now. Laughing

The station building at Cuarto de Pulgada is taking shape nicely.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: