FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My SNCF boxfile layout in HO
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: My SNCF boxfile layout in HO Reply with quote

As it is not so hot now down here in France(it was 30deg when we arrived last week), I have managed to start on my mini layout in 3 box files, using the lid as base.
The track is all inset(my 3D printed track), so I am super-gluing it to the base(slightly raised as I have a wagon turntable in the design). In fact the design uses 7 points and one wagon turntable.
Track now stuck to middle and left bases. track crosses in 4 places, one at an angle. Short lengths of rail are used to cross the box join and there does seem to be enough flexibility.
All points are Peco HO/OO setrack, 3 left, 3 right and a Y. Most of the track is being wired live, with section breaks on some tracks. Aim to have a auto shuttle on one route, so diodes will be added to each end. Just means I can set it to run and chat to people easier.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picture to show rough idea.

middle and right box will have low relief buildings at back. track across joints will be removable, Everything will fold up into boxes ith only the connecting track bits being removed.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Work started, run out of track and don't have switches to connect here, but here are some photos.

left

right

Did a quick test run, culminating in loco dive bombing the floor(trouble with Mehano controllers, never certain which direction they are set!)

Will now pack away, to take home. Plenty of other jobs to get on with.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got set up at home now, after picture in Railway Modeller with my letter.
Getting on with cobble sheet , using laser cut from 'Inthe greenwood' http://www.inthegreenwoodlaser.co.uk/.

Broadoak

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks very good so far Simon.

Regards Peter
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Peter. Trying to cover join between my 3D printed cobbles and the laser cut ones is a bit overdone. Photos look worse than reality luckily, but will be more careful with next section.
Wiring is slowing me down. Wires need to be connected to some form of socket panel with switches so I can isolate tracks. I don't want to alter outside of boxfiles any more, and operating is from front not back so might build panel in top of each box.
As usual I am probably making it more complex, but find it better in long term. I hope to be able to have a shuttle running on rear track, with another train which can be operated in sidings at front. Not really complex, as all it means is two 2 wire sockets on each box and a double pole switch to enable them to be connected or isolared from each other. Some wiring loom to connect the track from box to box, or mico switches next to rails.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure if I will be ready for January meet up yet, but trying to get one box finished for December exhibition.
Wiring is in, ready to put raised road at back.

Rhino brown wood filler has been applied to gaps , and cobbled areas finished, just need painting.

Each box has own power suppy, and tracks can be switched between 2 controllers, so line at back can have auto shuttle and a loco can also be shunting at front. In practice that will probably not happen that often, but it is built in so can be done.

The track is on thin corrugated card, to bring it up to same level as wagon turntable, but one advantage is that wires can be threaded through, so will use this idea on other layouts. Although I only did so for wires that were missing or had detached themselves, I think it might work well for any layout. Poke a hole into the corrugated card, and thread wire through. Just make sure corrugations are in direction you want wires to go. Strange how what was an mistake turns into a better idea.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more progress, needs somemore detail including fence/railing, some fgures(not too many)and posters on buldings possibly

Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was quick. I'm dithering about inset track in my line but I'm not sure I'll have the courage to cover everything as comprehensively as you have.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

main reason for developing my inset track system was to make it quicker. This module will e at ERA onSaturday. 2nd module coming on.Electrics work, just need to build harbour wall etc, and fill in gaps, then paint. Not much. 3rd module is simpler , but have not decided on buildings yet.

ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

working hard to get finished. Although I won't be able to get to SNCF society meet up, I am at another exhibition that weekend and plan to have this running at it.

box 2 the middle one with dockside.

thetransition from box 2 to box 3. Everything folds up , hence the angled buildings.

box 3 uses parts from plastic kit from Walthers. Easier than designing something for 3D printing, especially as I was not sure how it would all fit together.

less track so mainly wooden infill, and then gaps filled with wood filler. One of the longer wagon turntables, which turns using wires connected at side.

It should be possible to have an auto shuttle running at back and a loco shunting in front.

Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the design, and the inset track looks excellent. I doubt I'll have the courage to try anything like that on my layout...

How do you clean the rails?
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleaning rails is easy. top surface is about 0.2mm above inset surface. I tend to use anything that will scape off muck, then use graphite pencil to create a conductive and clean surface. Rail is slippery but I am not pulling heavy trains, so no problem.

Most points are hard wired continental style with insulated sections on sidings. This means dirt on point blades does not stop power getting through. one point in station area is not wired this way as it was easier not to, but when I did first test, guess what , point blade did not make proper contact, so I bent it with plyers, as I was not going todig up track.
Also each box has own power supply, so track on each box is in effect isolated. The fiddle yard(?)line is actually fed from track it is attached to, but I have option to connect it to power suppy in its own box.
I have tried to make it possible toisolate various sections, but will pobably find I should have put more in. I use micro switches hidden in cobbles,to reduce wiring. All points are hand operated.

One trick which I may repeat, resulted from my putting track on layer of corrugated cardborad so turntable would level up. The corrugations run front to back, and some wires run through them. It will make it easier in future to add wires after track is fixed down, and hide them from view. All track is superglued down.

I have just put the first module back in place, so fingers crossed when I test it . I still need to decide on how I store the short lengths if rail between boxes. Might put each pair in a separate, marked, ex Shapeways bag, so I can identify them easier.

giles b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruedetropal wrote:
One trick which I may repeat, resulted from my putting track on layer of corrugated cardborad so turntable would level up. The corrugations run front to back, and some wires run through them. It will make it easier in future to add wires after track is fixed down, and hide them from view. All track is superglued down.

That's an interesting idea, Simon. Used flat side up, I imagine. Can you still get a fix using track spikes, or do you glue everything down?
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles, the corrugated cardboard is from old boxes so is flat both sides. I just wish I had thought aboutputting wires through earlier. It did not matter as everywhere was cobbled.
As it is only a thin base on the boxfile, trackpins are not used. Everything is stuck down using cheap superglue from pound shops. Since a customer told me he used superglue to stick together matchstick/lightweight wood kits I have used it on all cardboard and lightweight wood models. Just have to be careful with points.
I plan to use same technique with non inset track, by having thin cardboard under sections of track, ballasting, leaving to dry then supergluing the card base down. This will hopefully get round problem of boxfile cardboard warping when soaking ballast with dilute pVA glue.

I have now done a test run, and once track is cleaned, obstructions in track removed trains ran OK. As with many of my layouts some trains run well, some don't so I will only use ones that work. Fortunately my type 55 or is it a 56 French railcar runs perfectly on shuttle. It is the shorter one of the two, the other is too fat to get through entrance to fiddle yard. Again one of the restrictions, that, like in real world means there are restrictions to what will run.

Here is a photo showing all 3 boxes. Still some painting to do, and a couple of walls to add. Might add a bit more sand colour to grey as it is meant to be south of France. The outsides of box 2 and box 3 will be painted white and blue respectively, so when together it is blue,white,red.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: