FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Croydon MRS show October 8/9 2016

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Croydon MRS show October 8/9 2016 Reply with quote

The Croydon Model Railway Society's show is on October 8th/9th and is being held at Warlingham School, Tithepit Shaw Lane, Warlingham, CR6 9YB. Opening hours - Saturday 10am to 5pm; Sunday 10am to 4pm.

Shellsea Harbour will be there, this time using its own rolling stock and with more details added since its last appearance earlier this year.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's this week-end. If you're passing, do drop in and say hello.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shellsea pictures from the show are on the layout's own thread, meanwhile we were situated between a Japanese layout and a gas-works, which I really liked. Only had time to photograph one of them..........

More after tomorrow.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more from the Croydon show. Having seen the rest of the show it did prove to have a slight bias towards light railways and TT scale - and none the worse for that (at least in my view).

We start with a bit of local Croydon history: there was formerly (1868-90) another station in Croydon - Croydon Central, which was a terminus to the right of the main line with a junction just south of East Croydon station. As well as LB&SCR trains it also hosted services from the L&NWR and also the Great Eastern.

A very nice beach-side narrow gauge terminus was Compass Point with much seaside atmosphere. I picked up several tips on the correct way to moor small craft and how the boats should be rigged.

There were other layouts but I ran out of camera space, or the shots were unsuitable for reproduction, so apologies to those whose work is not represented here.

Wimblehurst Road portrays an imaginary ex-Col. Stephens line just after Nationalisation, and still showing signs of its former ownership. Finescale 14.2mm gauge.

Lyme Regis showed what N gauge can do well - a small terminus without any apparent compression. It also had a good length of run-in track beyond the station throat, giving the trains somewhere to run before reaching the fiddle yard.

TT scale had three exponents. This is Kuchen, based on a line in the Black Forest. The station was built with laser cut ply, and etched windows and doors.

Thunder's Hill was appearing - a favourite of mine as it is worked in a proper railway-like manner with typical trains of the period and area. Here is a stopping train arriving at the station.

Wimblehurst Road is finescale TT using 14.2mm gauge It portrays an imaginary ex-Col. Stephens line shortly after Nationalisation, and still showing signs of its former ownership.

4mm (P4) scale also offered another Col. Stephens station, Rolvenden c.1925. Here is a typical 0-6-0 looking very smart in dark blue KE&SR livery.

Another 4mm scale layout was Bee Road, a bit of the West Midlands in the early 1960s. Rather too sprawling to get a good overall picture, but I did like the mobile crane in the goods yard. Drawings for these appeared in MTI about a year before the last issue, but a kit is now available, and turned out to be a lot larger than I'd envisaged, although this is a 6ton example which was, I think, the largest variety.

Finally in 7mm scale, the Irish broad gauge layout Arigna Town, a fictitious branch of the Sligo, Leitrim & Northern Counties Railway. The Station Garage, just visible on the right, is from a John Ahern design.

Last edited by giles b on Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigging for boats is someting that always troubles me. Even in articles in railway magazines it is less dealt with. I tend to cheat and assume mast and rigging has been taken down(various reasons such as low bridges).

Thundrs Hill, another classic layout. Always worried when someone says it is run properly. Far too many layouts try to operate to a timetable which results in no trains actually running 90% of the time. I consuder that type of operation should be confined to either clubroom or house, not when people are paying to see trains running. Not that there is anything wrong with running to a predefined sequence, but some take it too far.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ruedetropal wrote:
Always worried when someone says it is run properly. Far too many layouts try to operate to a timetable which results in no trains actually running 90% of the time.

OK - bad choice of words. Perhaps I should have said "correctly," as the trains run without any pauses not imposed by the single track main line. They are all of the correct stock and nicely weathered - just like looking over the railway fence, in fact.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giles, I assumed youmeant that, but I think it is a while since I have seen te layout. Age catching up. I just see too many 'to timetable' layouts these days, often with half a dozen operators just chatting.

We rarely get TT or 3mm scale layouts up here, but I do remember it being well represented at Eastleigh this year. Seems to suit southern rail/region well.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: