FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mystery signals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:13 am    Post subject: Mystery signals Reply with quote

These turned up in a box of mixed accessories at a show on Saturday.

The trio on the left are plastic mouldings and I think are by Jouef. Those on the right are working models with a soft metal pole (easily bent) and hard metal signal boards. Are they French, too, and who made them - anyone know?

The working ones may well be adaptable to resemble early British signalling and could eventually find their way onto the proposed Victorian-era layout.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needs translating. Rolling Eyes

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, Bob. As a past member of the SNCF Soc. I should have known that Embarassed I wasn't sure about the red disc, or the triangular ones. The violet square is I think a shunting, or goods line, Stop signal.

Wonder who the maker was/is? Anyway, not to worry. If I can extend the operating wires below the baseboard, and change the heads, they'll be great for the Mid-Shropshire Rly.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine it not to difficult to detach the heads from the plastic ones and attach them to operating wires too. They certainly have the look of really early semaphores from the days when each post had its own operating lever rather than being connected to a signalbox, but who's to say that an impoverished local railway company did not rig wires from these individually operated posts to a central lever frame instead of renewing the system completely?

I like the triangular ones better than the discs, again when freelancing you can take these to mean whatever you want them to as long as they are pre-dating any standardisation of signalling.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right, Bob, those plastic signals probably could be made to work without too much trouble. I've heard from a friend who thinks the working signals may have been produced by or for the SNCF Society, as he remembers them being sold by the group's Secretary who had a side-line in 2nd-hand French model trains.

I've been having some thoughts on how to use the signals; given the track plan there would perhaps be two signal posts side by side at the end of the main platform for the diverging routes. Coming the other way, the approach signals would be off the modelled area, but there might be a signal to stop branch line trains getting onto the main line - or they could just leave the points set for the bay platform. Leaving the station towards Ludlow, there could be a starter, but if the section was on the timed interval, would they need one, when the Bobby could signal departure by hand. I'm assuming staff and ticket is being used to stop collisions on single track sections. Ludlow (S&H junction) to Great Sutton is one staff section, and the branch from there to Clee St Margaret is another. The Bridgnorth section might have a potential passing station at Monk Hopton (my tentative timetable does not require one) although it would enable more flexible operation if required.

In terms of signal style, I was thinking of a crossbar for Danger with a disc at right-angles to show All Clear. If a warning signal could be justified I'd thought it might be arrow-shaped. I have a Triang crossing keeper's hut, which might house the Bobby between trains, if I sheeted over the large windows a bit to make it less signal-boxy. For the era it would be rather palatial accommodation for a small rural line, but I do have a soft spot for the model.

For siding protection I was thinking Scotch blocks rather than trap points.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: