FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Accrington 7th January 2017

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Accrington 7th January 2017 Reply with quote

Just a quick note that I am organising a small show for Saturday 7th January in Accrington Market Hall. It will be small , free to enter with donations to charity.
I will post more details, but reason I am posting now is that BRM contacted me in rsponse to sending in details to say they no longer offer free inserts for exhibitions as there were too many.
Odd that, and sadly I think BRM might have dropped a clanger, unless they are trying to get everyone to only go to theiir big shows. Small local shows are the beating heart of the hobby.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
allegheny1600

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a shocking display of ignorance on BRM's part!
Almost makes me wish I was a subscriber so I could then tell them where to stuff their magazine. And, as for their forum, mutter, mutter!

Good luck with your show, Simon. Must see if I can pop along.

My other club's exhibition:
http://forum.mtimag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2119
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I would enter the den and make a comment on a certain online forum, where you find the Real Moaners. I got a reply to say that they thought most people found out about exhibitions online, including their website, and they only have a limited amount of space in magazine. I have not bought BRM for a while because I have found it was only covering a limited range mainly BR and other standard gauge models, which is popular with a certain type of modeller/collector. A bit better(or should I say not as bad as) Hornby magazine. I get Model Rail, simply because they seem to be having inspiring articles, even though there is again a tendency towards the traditonal BR standard gauge modeller.
Got latest RM today as I subscribe, and it has a very interesting selection of articles, lots of interesting stuff, something for most people, and another of my letters. They seem to have their finger on the right button.
I do wonder how many actually find out about exhibitions from adverts in magazines. I tend to look at the exhibition listing page as I assumed that was most comprehensive page. I do use online as well, the UKmodelshop website, but I know many people who prefer the old way, ie the listings. Easy to find, normally in same place, no need to waste time searching .
It is a pity as I have had very good dealings with Warners over the years, but this time they have dropped a clanger.
It also ties in with some comments about problems with exhibitions and there being too many big trade organised ones. I find it amusing that they claim Donacaster to be the big show in the north. Manchester may not be what it used to be, but York has to be the big northern show, especially as it is also the Easter weekend.

The hobby is changing, but I think there are too many only looking in one direction, towards finer scale models, and exhibitions have lost some of that magic. Many in the hobby are looking inwards, and that is not good long term. It needs to embrace new ideas and realise it has to entertain at exhibitions. This is crossing over into the other thread I started, but I think the two are linked.
Maybe it is a reflection of what others in society are doing. For too long small groups have directed the way the hobby is going, but they are working in small rooms and are not seeing what is going on outside. When you try to challenge this they refer you to the marketing exercises they have done, but I know from experience there is a big gap between these and the real word. Bit like those forum groups in politics.
Most successfu business people will say they have learned more from their mistakes than their successes. I sometimes think some in the hobby are not prepared to admit they might have made mistakes.

Going back to original question. Just remembered how someone told me they had found that small classified adverts in magazines somtimes get noticed more than main adverts. Simply because they are in one place and people know where to look. In RM and CM that is next to the exhibition listing pges.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: