FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another box challenge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Another box challenge Reply with quote

After exhibiting a couple of box based layouts ar ERA exhibition yesterday, I started thinking about how I could combine 3D printing and layouts using cardboard boxes, in particular the boxes Shapeways use to send out 3D printed models.
The boxes are roughly A4 sized, so are too small to store my magazines. They are very sturdy, assuming they have not got sqashed in transit,and weigh far more than the 3D printed models in them. For very small items there are smaller boxes used, and for very large items I have received models in boxes twice the size. I am only interested in the most common size, the A4 sized one.
I was wondering if it was possible to build a layout(or part of one) in a box. Cutting the box up is permitted, as long as box can be put back together for transport and storage.
Here is one of the boxes, in fact I have already cut it and put it back together.

By cutting the ends so ends match, you start to end up with something long enough.

The bridge would be shorter, and maybe a dummy point on lower track. Maybe a junction point on the upper line. Idea is to be a typical flyover junction, often found in urban London. I plan to use it for my 3D printed EMUs in HO scale.
A thin MDF or plywood base will be fitted.
To hold boxestogether I might try stick strips of Velcro. If positioned correctly they could be used for hold boxes toger in display and storage mode.

It is just a start, I need to finish my other SNCF boxfile layout, but I wanted to get the idea out there. It might be a novel idea for Shapeways to do some promotion.
One condition of the challenge would be that it hadto include Shapeways 3D printed models.
I plan to use it , not only for my 3D printed trains, but parts of the bridge will be 3D printed, and the sections of track on joins between boxes will be 3D printed.
Some might think cardboard boxrs are not strong enough, but oneof the layouts I have just exhibirted was buit 4 or 5 years ago, and just need a track clean and refixing of a couple of items, and it still ran very well.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Last edited by ruedetropal on Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon - re the box and how to cut it - this may just help you
http://www.kdrail.com/proj/hoswitcher/pythagx.htm
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice idea, but it wasn't complex to work out, and as long as you start with middle line, everything should line up. Only using an old cardbord box and worst case scenario was having to get another box.
Also it is not any old cardborad box, but one that was used to deliver my 3D printed models, so might attract attention. It covers two of my interests, 3D prnting and recycling.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> On my workbench All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: