FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scale Rail International No.10 LWB Cattle Van Drawings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CRACKED

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Scale Rail International No.10 LWB Cattle Van Drawings Reply with quote

First a couple of points for scale drawings in general.

It would be nice to know the scale of the drawing.

It would be useful to include two lines of a known scale length (one vertical and one horizontal). This helps when either scanning or photocopying to another scale. A lot of photocopiers especially the higher end of the range ones can enlarge/reduce vertical and horizontal scales slightly differently. Any slight distortion which occurs can be taken out this way.

Now for the Drawing Itself.

Could we have more information on where and when these wagons worked. These do not to be very detailed even very general notes would be useful. A lot of us do not know much about specific railways in individual countries.

Would anyone be able to post photos or links of this particular wagon. The drawing would appear to show some form of shuttering arrangement, but it is not very clear about how this worked.

I am not criticising the inclusion of a drawing in the magazine. Indeed these are often useful and informative, but hope these comments will help improve any future ones.
C Ford

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I acquired a handful of drawings, of which this is one, that I thought would be of interest to the SRI reader on a couple of levels. The drawings have no information aside from the type i.e. cattle wagon, and are not dated. I have simply translated this info into the usual British parlance.
I could have scaled the image to a scale, but HO would have been too small and O too big, so the two images are printed as large as possible on the page so as to provide detail. The eagle-eyed will notice that the two elevations are different scales - the lower is a shade over 5mm-1ft, the upper a little less. As there are plenty of measurements given it is only the work of seconds with a calculator to scale and rescale to any size.
For me the attraction is the drawing itself. I can't imagine too many people having a crack at scratch-building one of these - if you do let me know. The angled slats of the sides and ends make the average British van look decidedly plain.
The shutters are the standard Euro method of a dropping/latched plate, though with the curved roof line the shapes of these are somewhat streamlined. The vertical latch appears to be missing from the drawing on the RH inner; possibly for clarity.
The image is hand drawn and I'd hazard a guess at it being done pre 1960s. The prototype would probably be a pre 1920s vehicle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: