FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Layout Operating at Show

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Layout Operating at Show Reply with quote

Spent a slightly frustrating Saturday at Tolworth Showtrain, trying to see some nice modelling, but the operators kept getting in the way. Do you all prefer to see exhibited layouts operated from in front, behind, or at one end? Or do you have no preference?

Giles
steve

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the layouts I've built I always operate from the back; I'm not in anyone's way and I can load stock, drink coffee, etc more or less without interuption.

From a viewer's perspective, having the ops at the back helps with the illusion too.

steve
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to agree with Steve there, Cotton Lane was originally built to operate from in front of the fiddleyard, with the on stage point controls along the front of the scenic board. The layout went to its first show in this mode but was subsequently altered so that the points could be operated from the front for home use and behind at shows. A scenic rebuild of the layout has resulted in half the point controls on the front of the board being removed so the layout is now operated from the rear only.

Port Abel is operated from alongside the fiddleyard but being as the layout is only a micro the operator can reach right to the end of the pier from a sitting position.

All my other layouts are operated from the rear only but again, being micros, I can sit in front of them at home and reach over the backscene to get to the controls.

Sitting behind a layout allows for half eaten butties and cups of cold tea to be stored out of sight.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Jordan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Operator position Reply with quote

At Exhibition definitely behind the backscene. Gives 'em a place to hide their blushes at the appalling quality of their operating... Rolling Eyes
steve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jordan, I didn't realise you'd seen my layouts at a show. Very Happy

steve
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Operator position Reply with quote

Steve, actually I don't get to many shows, and have never exhibited myself... or my layouts... so my comments a bit of a cheek really, but I always feel dissappointed when good looking layouts are spoiled by sloppy operating- where only half the train comes out the tunnel, or worse, the loco is pushing the half it left behind on the previous lap... or a single derailed truck ends up causing a major pile-up... it's all usually because the operator wasn't watching the train. Talking of which- it's interesting that no ammount of state of the art DCC control (which some seem to view as the be-all & end-all and we without are Luddites..) will prevent derailments or coupling failure- things more crucial to good operating than if all the lights are on correctly... Jordan. Very Happy
steve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan (& Giles) you're quite welcome to watch Heavy Traffic in operation at Maidnhead this Saturday. You can even have a go yourself if you like. Smile

steve
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Heavy Traffic Reply with quote

Thanks for the invite Steve- won't be able to take you up on it- if you get booked for Kidderminster/Stourbridge/Wolverhampton anytime flag it up, tho you might not mind me having a go not sure you'd want my nearly-4 year old within reach... his current speciality is low-flying Thomas.... 15" curves are lethal at speed!!! Very Happy Have seen Heavy Traffic on Carl Arendt's website & a recent article about stock for it in Model Rail (I think). There's a real-life Logistics Park (modern term) north of Coventry near Junc 3 M6 that laid rail sidings in a bid for traffic- used an old branch line feed I think. Only been open a few years- no rail traffic at all... shame, cos if it was somewhere like USA it'd be a decent little ShortLine I bet. Jordan.
steve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan - Thanks for the info about the Coventry site. Just goes to show there really is a prototype for everything. Smile

As for other shows, HT is (so far) booked for the York show at Easter, DEMU Showcase at Burton-on-Trent first Saturday in June & a one-off special show at the Middleton Railway, Leeds, in July. Oh, and youngsters have been known to have a go too! Wink

steve
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Heavy Traffic Reply with quote

Hi Steve. nice to see Heavy Traffic again on Carl Arendts Website March mid-month scrapbook page. The across-the-tracks view was very realistic, though the houses on the backscene look a bit overscale !!! Very Happy Laughing
Got a couple of my old efforts onto his site with that page too... ah, fame at last... Jordan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: