FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Urban backdrop idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidbromage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Urban backdrop idea Reply with quote

Posted on the Faceplant group.

"Hudson Street and Laight Street, St. John's Park Freight Terminal (N.Y.Central & Hudson River RR) Early 1900's."

Some thoughts on how to use it:
1) Each track could hold 1 or more cars behind the backdrop, whatever suits the space.
2) If you wanted didn't want to switch them and just want run trains along the street, you could get some cheap second hand box cars, cut the ends off and set them into a low relief backdrop.

Cheers
David
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and of course you could use my 3D printed inset track, wonder what minimum radius you could get away with. It looks very sharp in photo, but photos can make curves look sharper.

In fack looking at how narrow the space between main tracks and buildings, outside curve might equate to only 25cm, which radius used for tramways, with inside track radius 20.4cm. All very tight, but at least wagons don't have buffers to get in way. Getting trains to go round such sharp curves might be most difficult part.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting Kadees to recouple on those curves will be nigh on impossible! Shocked

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
CRACKED

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem would be coupling. Kadees will not couple on sharp curves. Mounting them on the trucks might help a little. Body mounted couplings would only work if they were arranged to swing and did not self centre. You might have to use scale Sargeant couplings

Two points of interest on the photograph are that the tracks do not appear to enter and continue into the warehouse at a right angles. Each of a pair of tracks come off a different line/headshunt in the road, in a similar manner to a double junction. Hard to tell from the photo whether the street lines are just headshunts. The Loco is one of the New York Central Shay's I think, rather than a straightforward dummy.
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, the smoke staining above the arches appears to be white!
cp409067

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="CRACKED"] ..... The Loco is one of the New York Central Shay's I think, rather than a straightforward dummy.[/quote]

The smokebox (and thus by implication the boiler) appears NOT to be off centre.

May I suggest comparison with this photograph?

http://www.ominousweather.com/images5/NYC-Shay.jpg

CP

Portpyn 1:34
StPierre 1:34e
SuttonWharf 1:25
ParadiseMiningCo 1:25
BrinkValleyTramway 1:43.5
PyntonTramwayCo 1:43.5

Forthcoming Exhibitions 2017

5 Aug: MOMING'17 - BVT
9-10 Sep: REC (Woking) - BVT
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kadees, no problem, just don't use them. They are not obligortary. Standard continental couplings would work fine, especially if loop was only on one end and the blade of grass type uncoupler used.

Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blade of grass uncoupler would be a bit out of place on a busy street!

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use that term Bob, because that is how Roger Nicholls originally developed it. I have adapted it to be a very thin piece up upright card, it could even be transparent. Having talked to Roger about his idea, even he says it tends to work better than Kadees. In this set up all sidings ae same way so couplings are allon same end, not that it is difficlt to do with sidings both ways. It is a lot simpler to do than building in electromagnets, which have been know to fail. It is also easier to move, should you find it is not in right position.
Given the comments about Kadees on sharp curves, I think that unless you want to use more space that the prototype, then you need a couplings syste than cope with the sharp curves.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: