FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ste Emilie Retrospective

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:57 am    Post subject: Ste Emilie Retrospective Reply with quote

As there are so many "rediscovered" pictures of Ste Emilie, they merit a new thread - so here goes, starting with three views that just about cover the whole layout

These three are about the style of my picture taking in 2004, but the rest show what I might have done had I put the camera down in the middle of the baseboard. We begin with a shoppers-eye view of the market in full swing

and one looking from the market over to the station of the Merveillac - Ste Emile company, with the metre gauge tracks in the foreground.

The local bus waits for the train, beside a timeless ad painted on the house wall.

The photographer captioned this one as "Rue du Marchandises", which just about sums it up; a dusty-looking shop, a few cottages and some small commercial properties opening out into the railway goods yard. A view only possible with a camera.

This is the usual view of the same scene, and also shows the local primary school.

This one is not without its imperfections, but I like it as it is one of the very few shots showing the MSE's water tank. I wanted something in style with the small trains and found this prototype in a picture of one of the country stations on the Grande Ceinture lines outside Paris. The Jouef water crane was also cut down in height.
twilight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Ste Emilie Retrospective Reply with quote

Thank you for these pictures Giles. In my view, St Emilie was yet another well-observed masterpiece with a dual-gauge theme not attempted by too many (even French) modellers from what I can see and oozed Gallic charm and atmosphere.

Although restrictive injury and then serious illness has sadly curtailed most of my modelling activities for some time, I am happy to say that some of the Ste Emilie metre gauge stock seen in the photos still trundles down the Rue d'Ouaquenin on the Tramways des Iles de Gilet from time to time and the management is still dreaming............... Very Happy

Merci bien, many of us will be happy to see lots more pics!
Regards,
Julian E.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, Julian, for those kind words. I still miss Ste Emilie, but after ten years of exhibitions it was getting a bit loose in the joints and really needed a total re-think - easier to scrap and start again, but I had other prototypes demanding to be modelled (don't we all?).

After Ste Emilie was built we owned a house in rural France for nine years, spending long summers there, and these photos do bring back the feel of life in a small rural town, despite the scenic inspiration having come from book illustrations and a few photos of my own.

Since finding these pictures, I have identified the photographer who was David Thomas, my fellow operator, and not a French contact, as I'd thought. David has agreed to the pictures use, subject to his copyright on the images.

I hope your dreams of modelling again come to fruition soon, but meanwhile am glad the TIG is still able to run some of the Ste Emilie rolling stock. I recently caught up with my old Schneider 0-6-0T conversion, ex-Ste Emilie, which has now undergone an even heavier rebuild and is now a Portuguese locomotive with a completely different and more open cab.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more of David Thomas's pictures (copyright reserved)
starting with the goods shed. I wanted a small prototype, and found this one at Douchy on a closed "secondaire" near St Quentin

The main industry at Ste Emilie was Hurel's feed & seed. This was based on the one at Lancheres-Pendee on the Baie de Somme line, but somewhat shorter than the original. It does reflect the differently shaped sheds and mixture of wall claddings, which adds character to the structure.

Close up of the grain blower at Engrais Hurel. The originals had a canvas tube hanging from the top of the feed pipe, and I never worked out a way to model this. The model was made for my British HO layout, Southery, and also served on Lazy River - so a well-travelled piece of kit! It was made from scrap-box oddments and construction should be obvious from the picture - should anyone want one like it.

Another model built from odds and ends was the fuel merchant's stores and house. Although his sign said Coal, this would have been unlikely in western France, as I subsequently discovered. He would certainly have sold bottled gas (as modelled) and also firewood, though this would have probably been stored elsewhere where there was more room. LPG for heating is another possibility, again not stored in the town centre.

Finally, a small detail copied from products pictured in a French model railway magazine's review pages. These concrete direction signs date from the 1950s, I think; earlier ones featured a short vertical pillar with a cube-like top with directions written on the appropriate faces. For the model the shape was cut from thick styrene with computer printed name panels glued on and outlined with a fine felt-tipped pen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: