FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sägewerk Pfeifle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Sägewerk Pfeifle Reply with quote

I've finally managed to start a layout for this stock I'm building. In a desperate effort to build something I've put my original plan of a small terminus on the back burner for a bit and I'm making a fork to gain experience and test ideas. I cut out a basic shape from a sheet of cardboard and fiddled with a set of points to see what I could do with it. Now I've trimmed the cardboard back to the shape I'd like, which just fits onto the shelves I'm using.

At first I wasn't sure about having such a simple terminus but I have a scenario and bounced it of a couple of long suffering forum members, who were very encouraging, so here goes: (apologies to those who've read this before):

Several storms over the night have made both the road and railway almost impassable to Spitzenwald. Clearance teams have been removing felled trees since the dawn, and by now (about 0800) they have managed to clear the line as far as Sägewerk Pfeifle, (Pfeifle's Sawmill) about 3 KM from the terminus at Spitzenwald. Trains are currently terminating at the halt by the mill, which usually is only a request stop, and the sawmill is working at fill tilt and running out of space: some of the logs will have to be moved as soon as possible. The railway is running wagons up from Dachsburg to take wood from the cutting area itself and from the mill, as well as dealing with the regular output- and wouldn't you know it but the sawdust and a load of finished product was scheduled to be shifted today…

That's the idea anyway. There is a real Sägewerk Pfeifle in the Black Forest, belonging to the relative of our pastor, but one of the sheds there would be bigger than this baseboard in 7mm scale, so I nicked the name and I'll make a model of one of the much smaller mills in the valleys. The first attempt at making a baseboard didn't work out so well, partly because someone didn't read the instructions, so this time I'm working more slowly and weighing everything down...
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose I'm one of those long suffering members. Laughing

Andy and I have been discussing his "storm damage" scenario by email. I think it is a much more feasible excuse for terminating trains at a small station than the usual truncated branchline. I also think there will be some copying of this idea with future layouts.... I, for one, am already contemplating such an event in the SW of England as a change from the GW BLT. Just like Andy's fallen trees blocking the line, a bridge washout is a believable eventuality to make trains stop short of destination.

Blame it on the weather, it works fine for the real thing so why not for a model? A refreshingly different idea. Nice one!

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackcloud wrote:
I suppose I'm one of those long suffering members. Laughing

Andy and I have been discussing his "storm damage" scenario by email. I think it is a much more feasible excuse for terminating trains at a small station than the usual truncated branchline. I also think there will be some copying of this idea with future layouts.... I, for one, am already contemplating such an event in the SW of England as a change from the GW BLT. Just like Andy's fallen trees blocking the line, a bridge washout is a believable eventuality to make trains stop short of destination.

Blame it on the weather, it works fine for the real thing so why not for a model? A refreshingly different idea. Nice one!

You could even set it on a specific notorious day in October 1987... Rolling Eyes Laughing with a TV screen in the background playing a continuous loop of Mr Fish's weather forecast.... Wink
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still working on the Sägewerk, and I've built the card baseboard. It is surprisingly strong, and it will only get stronger as I build track bases and scenery on it.

In the picture above the Landrover is marking the end of the siding to the mill, and the points are in the distance. I've worked out that in 7mm scale I can get two 250mm long wagons in either siding and in the fiddle yard. Unforunately I can't get two wagons and Growler one in there, but we can't have everything. One day I'll have space for a three wagon train.

Unfortunately we've hit another problem. We thought the Sägewerk Pfeifle would be safe 140 cm from the floor, but yesterday we found Middle Son clinging to the shelves and making a spirited attempt to swipe the landrover off the baseboard. As the effects of a two-year old on a scale model would be similar to Godzilla in downtown New York, it seems the Sägewerk Pfeifle will have to wait a bit until we get Middle Son beyond using the shelves as a climbing frame.

I'm now looking at alternatives for the short term. I’ve several options: I mentioned the idea of a small “Works siding” on my desk some time ago: I just never got around to doing anything about it. Meanwhile the small collection of 09 stock I’ve been working on will allow me to make something small that I can store easily as well. I wondered about something small like the models on the Japanese website that was posted here a while ago, (http://forum.mtimag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=265) or Colin's boxfile layout. That way I can play, test stuff out etc, and then pack it all away on a shelf when I need to get back to work. I need to get something built as these false starts are getting very frustrating...
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy - rather than cross-posting it on to here - the one I am building is here, and might be small enough for you to store away
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10575&start=75

10th post down the page. Main board is 56cm x 37cm and it is a 3-2-2 inglenook holding 50' HO cars and a SW1200 loco, SP holds a loco + 2 cars. With the arm collapsed it is 67 cm long, Shoud be about the same size in O9

Track plan is by Diego De Bunder in Patagonia! The building will be a cut down Pola Canning Factory
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jack...

That's very similar to what I'm thinking of, perhaps a tad smaller so I can plonk it on a bookshelf when I'm pretending to work. I reckon I can compete with you for the 'worst carpenter in the world' title, so I'll be using cardboard or a boxfile. I like the way you made the sector plate as well, I may nick that idea.
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Help yourself, Andy - that's what it is all about!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: