FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTI 73 - Wright's Wagon Works

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: MTI 73 - Wright's Wagon Works Reply with quote

I was a surprised to see Wright's Wagon Works in MTI 73, Jack told me there was a long waiting list of articles for publication.

If anyone would like to see the magazine photos (and more) in colour please visit this Freewebs site which is where I blogged the layout's construction as preparation for the article.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the blog. Nice to see the pictures of the layout during construction. What I liked particularly was the upper level of the rear tracks, so it was handy to see "behind the scenes" under the road bridge.

Does the traverser on the lower level slide easily? It looks as if it's wood on wood; no plastic or Melamine facing on the underneath???

Giles
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripwood on plywood, the plywood surface was rubbed with a wax candle when the layout was first built but I don't actually think this makes a lot of difference, it is only a short (loco and two wagons) cassette with very little weight to it.

It is fairly easy to operate as a traverser sliding between the two lower tracks. It could do with a slight modification on the side where the umbilical wire is attached though, this sometimes gets in the way between the side of the cassette and the stop that lines the tracks up for the front siding.

The advantage of having just two positions in traverser mode is that there are positive stops to line each track up. When in cassette mode it plugs into the upper track for alignment on the rear siding. If it were a plain traverser with three positions the centre track would not be so easy to line up as the fixed track ends cannot be seen from the normal operating position.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the pic in MTI of it on the kitchen stove... obviously things were cooking on your layout then, but can you tell us about the recipe, the Gas Mark No., and how long to cook it, and does it need turning over halfway through...???

Rolling Eyes I know, but someone had to ask the silly questions didn't they... Embarassed Laughing Wink
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kitchen is my secondary workshop, the primary being outside in the back yard. This means that in bad weather I can only get stuff done when the domestic authorities are not looking (ie out shopping or at work).

The recipe for Wright's is shown below, I just followed Jack's plan but using English OO scale ingredients instead of the US N scale in the original. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Article Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: