FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Modelling the U.S.scene musings and questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the short hoppers for silica sand, but you could also use them for flour or cement. They were introduced about 1956, before that it was boxcar and gondolas.

You could also consider 8,000 or 10.000 gallon tank cars, they are also short and there are some nice models available.

Glad you started this thread, it has brought forward some interesting ideas.
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you had not figured it out, the EMD model 40 is basically a switcher cab with two very short hoods either side.

So whatever you come up with from that Kleinlok chassi, chances are it might have existed somewhere in the U.S
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall now make myself really popular
http://www.geocities.com/loggingloco1/dctramway/homepage.htm
Read the item about the loops - Yes they do work - and watching a train run through a point that you KNOW can't move because you soldered it solid, is "wierd"
twilight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jack Exclamation
Had previously come across (and admired) the BVT but 'Dynamite' and 'Camp 4' are something else Shocked Laughing I love them, 4" curves and all! I think there's a lot of "creative modelling room" (i.e. prototype for most things) in the 2ft-30in-3ft area and it might be one way to go. Possibly On30 might need a little too much space although it has been done in quite small areas as shown in MTI. H0n30 or H0n3?? Maybe.

Standard gauge-wise there seem to have been vast quantities of small Macks,Davenports etc etc to think some basic kitbashing/ scratchbuilding could produce a fairly acceptable item on my Roco chassis as a yard loco to alternate with a 44T/70T/SW7 maybe? Ken I think the 3-2-2 Inglenook can provide a lot of satisfaction in a small space and with your wider board I should think the possibilities for landscaping are much increased which is good.

Jack mentioned the short (22') ore cars which are a possibility. Would any other commodity have been carried in cars that size ( e.g. coal) or was it because of the weight limitations ? Confused
Regards
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot these ...

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/455-721303

they do other 1860's era stock as well. Probably more affordable than the BTS craftsman kits, Walthers stock them.
john flann

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlightenment please,

1, what is a 3-2-2 track formation?
2, how well do these short wheelbase mechanisms run in practice?
3, do they require live frogs?
4, anything particular needed in track work?

John Flann
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John - a 3-2-2 is an "en-smallend" (SWMBOs word!)version of a 5-3-3 inglenook
see Carls site
http://www carendt.us
and here
http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/small-layouts.html
If using short-wheelbase locos, live frogs are best

BTW You have a PM
Ken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, apologies for using jargon, as Jack says it referes to the capacity of each spur.

I found with the short wheel-base EMD model 40 live frogs were best, so have used peco small radius, rather than set-track. It runs well, only irritation is the headlight is a bit of a spotlight, something noted in the MTI review
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They say a picture speaks a thousand words, my latest project will be a 3/2/2 Inglenook though it won't normally be used as such.

This will be a Latin American based On30 scale layout. The three tracks, top to bottom, will be used to hold 3, 2 and 2 cars each when operating in Inglenook mode, though I propose to use a sequence timetable for most of the time. In common with most of my layouts I am keeping pointwork to a minimum and using a cassette to switch stock between the long siding and the two short ones.

As a taster of what is to come with the layout feast your eyes on this gorgeous machine...

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blackcloud wrote:
They say a picture speaks a thousand words,
As a taster of what is to come ... feast your eyes on this gorgeous machine...

Shocked Very Happy That speaks one word- "Showoff" !!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

It is very nice, though...
Have you ever seen the work of Colin Garratt, who's been all over the world photographing Steam Engines? Machines like this always remind me of his pictures...
john flann

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

I am much enlightened and learn something new every day.

In which MTI is the review to which you refer.

Regarding the head lights I always disable mine as to me they look "toy like", though I accept prototypical.

I think I could get interested in building a new small layout using such a switcher and short vehicles.

John Flann.
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EMD model 40 was reviewed in MTI-64. There is a review in April 2006 Model Railroader with some test results and of course Steve reviewed it the Autumn 2007 Modern Railway Modelling.

There is an article in the Sep/Oct 2006 Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette where Allen K. Littlefield uses the mechanism to build an On30 "Doodlebug." He converts the body from Boulder Valley's Box cab resin kit and builds a new deck that incorporates the original one. It looks good and there is plenty of scope as to the body, which you culd also cobble together from styrene sheet.
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the Mantua 1860's boxcars, here is a useful link

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1879/lower_mantua/
twilight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link Ken. By chance I had just found my way to that site and find the articles and projects on there quite interesting. Plastic-hacking is more in my line compared to 'brass-bashing' Smile Maybe some of the simpler models can look a bit toy-like at first but detailing and weathering would work wonders I think. Interesting period late C19th - very early C20th.
I must admit that 6 foot gauge is a new one on me - anyone for 3mm scale on EM Question Laughing
Regards,
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bachman GE 70 ton switcher is the same length as the PS-2 short hopper, a fair bit shorter than switchers like the S-2 or SW9.

Have a look at the Taplines site, which covers shortlines in the South. It is an inspirational site. Many short lines in the South started as logging lines then became general carriers.

http://www.taplines.net/July/LOPG1.htm

http://www.taplines.net/southgeorgia/sgry2a.htm

Other users of this versatile switcher to investigate

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=41651&nseq=8

http://www.trainweb.org/westernrails/or/ope.html

Diesel Era did a two issue feature on GE 70 ton switchers a while back, worth getting hold of if you can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Modelling Tips All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: