FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Withyn Reach" minimum space O scale layout
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: "Withyn Reach" minimum space O scale layout Reply with quote

With apologies to those of you who might be on RMweb, this is copied (to save time!) from my posting over there...

Thinking ahead to next year, and due to the inconvienient fact that British O scale stock with buffers & 3-link couplings can't cope with 3foot radius curves (but US locos & 50ft cars with Kadee buckeyes can Rolling Eyes so my main O scale project layout "Portway Terminal" is unsuitable for British models)... also inspired particularly by Neil Rushby's layouts, and some of his simple plans, here's my plan for a small British layout, 6ft x 1 ft plus Fiddleyard; "Withyn Reach", set by a canal wharf...

The assumption is that this is where BR & a Private Docks/Wharf railway exchange wagons, the rest of the private system offstage being accessed from the front track, BR the rear, though I plan to make the Fiddleyard either a traverser or sector plate to form a small run-round loop. The front canal-side siding is assumed to be an old loading point, now just used for storage when exchanging trains.
No unloading points are envisioned onstage, a more frequent turnaround of wagons appears a bit more realistic. To throw a spanner in operating procedures, it's assumed the front siding, being by the canal, cannot take the weight of big locos- only the Private Shunter can access wagons there. scenery to be very simple, mostly overgrown scrub. I also plan to raise the level of the headshunt up a bit & drop the front siding for a slight variation in height- should make shunting interesting too!! I'm unsure how to hide the Exit; I'd like to avoid the 'usual' things like road bridges if possible!!!
Time period will be late 60s/early 70s, Locos are a Heljan Hymek & brass-kit-built Barclay 0-6-0. Track Peco Code 124 bullhead . Well, that's the plan- ... how far I've got by Dec 2008 remains to be seen Rolling Eyes Embarassed Don't hold your breath...
The name I've actually seen before on a layout- a little 4mm British Light Railway that was for sale many years ago at a Warley Club open day... I've Googled "Withyn Reach" and got 0 Results except for the "idiot question" 'Do you mean Within Reach?' so I'd like to lay claim to the name here!!! Usually I'm not keen on names that are a pun or play on words, unless they're quite subtle & not too contrived, which I like to think "Withyn Reach" is... Very Happy

Well it's taken me a bit of time to get going on this project (buying all the bits first!) but today I made a start & here's some pics...
The board is a plank of contiboard- never recommended by any 'proper' modelling guides, but as my layouts live up in the shed I like the inherant damp-resistance of it. The bracing is by L-girders of 2"x1" wood:- substantial enough to take the not-inconsiderable weight of O scale engines, as well as just keep the board straight!!!
Trackbed is a mixture of hardboard and MDF offcuts, all pinned & glued in place. I was after some cork tiles but neither B&Q or Wickes (my two nearest DIY sheds) had any...
Track & points is Peco Code124 Bullhead, as yet just cut to size- wiring and fixing in place to be done soon...
Photos were took in the fading light with a fading battery in the camera- if I had more time I'd try & play with them in the Imaging Studio... but you'll get the idea...

Stock capacity is pretty obvious- the loop can hold 3 short wagons plus Brake Van, headshunt Hymek & Brake Van, and the front siding 4 or 5 wagons comfortably.
Fiddleyard is likely to be cassettes, resting on a 4ft piece of Contiboard I have ready. I'll simply slide them into place on that- I'm not going to go lifting cassettes with rather expensive & heavy engines on them!!!
Well Garden Empire it ain't, but hopefully it'll have enough operating potential to keep me occupied a-while....
As always, all comments very welcome...

It took a bit of climbing to get this overall view...!!

The headshunt is at a higher level than the siding in front, to try and add a bit of interest to the scenery-which there won't be much room for!!!

The "inbound" loop holds a Brake Van & 3 Mineral Wagons, but clearances are a bit tight....

An operating restriction I've added is that BR locos are too heavy for the siding, which can only be used by the Shunter... any excuse to justify two locos at a time on such a small layout Rolling Eyes Razz

Finally one I did have a quick go at editing to try & lighten it a bit. This loco is a brass kit-built Barclay (RTR to me via Ebay!) I'm in the middle of re-detailing, re-painting and weathering. So many projects, so little time.

Last edited by Jordan on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Broadoak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of that, and the name. If you use mainly a sort of countryside feel to the scenery, nothing too specific. Surely you will be able to run your gorgeous Soo line F-Units from time to time, as well as your British outline equipment.
Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadoak wrote:
I like the look of that, and the name. If you use mainly a sort of countryside feel to the scenery, nothing too specific.

Yes, that's the general idea.

Quote:
Surely you will be able to run your gorgeous Soo line F-Units from time to time, as well as your British outline equipment.

Oh I'm quite sure the temptation will overcome me at some point!!! Laughing
Piermaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jordan,

I like the sheer simplicity of it and you can pack a lot of action into it. Suggest you go the whole hog and develop this for Brtish and American operation - pehaps substitute the British barge with an American single-track carfloat that could double as your on-board fiddle yard/cassette?

Keep up the good work mate.

Dave.
twilight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the clean simple look of this Jordan. Look forward to seeing it develop. 7mm certainly has 'presence' .

Now about this front 'storage siding' - shurely shome mishtake here - an operating tipper unit into a waiting barge at the very least Exclamation Twisted Evil

Regards
Jordan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pics today but I've wired it all up into three sections (rear loop, headshunt, front loop & siding), pinned the track down, and given it all a good test (oh alright, had a PLAY !!! Rolling Eyes Embarassed Laughing ) Nice to shunt British models around without the buffers locking, and using proper 3-links again- tried them in 4mm scale years ago & was soon frustrated & disappointed.
Having had a go at operating it I'm coming back round to the idea of using a single track Sector Plate for a Fiddleyard, to make it easier & quicker for the Loco to run round a train than if I have to re-locate a Cassette every time. A multi-track Traverser would be nice, but also much wider than the layout!!!

This burst of activity on this project should give you all a clue that as it's Schools Half-Term, SWMBO has gone to stay with relatives for a few days & took F-Unit Jnr (B-Unit?! Rolling Eyes ) with her, so I've had a nice bit of free time all to myself.... Laughing Laughing Laughing
Jordan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing a bit more to this layout after concentrating on Portway Terminal for a bit, and having several loco projects on the go all at once... Rolling Eyes Embarassed

No scenery yet, but I've made the fiddleyard which is a basic 4' x 1' base (thin MDF on a 2"x1" frame) which has already warped a bit Evil or Very Mad , but it is just somewhere to rest the 'cassettes' on, of which I've made three. One has track so far, Code 100 rail soldered to PCB sleepers.
After considering a Sector Plate & Traverser I've rejected those ideas as the Sector Plate would be single track and unduly restrictive for operations with two locos, and a traverser too complex- it would be best as a Three-track/Two-position type- but would be far wider than the main board (very awkward) and electrically complex (for me! Embarassed ).

Instead I'm using Bob Blackcloud's very effective & simple method of linking a cassette to the running line, which eliminates wiring on the cassette altogether too- and yes it works in O scale as well as N !!! As they will be fully supported on the 4'x1' base, there's no problem with the weight of that Hymek either...!!!
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been ages since I updated this thread so here's some recent pics of work still very much "in progress"...
In an attempt to get away from the traditional ways of disguising exits to fiddleyards (ie bridges/tunnels etc) I'm trying out this idea of the wall of an adjacent building, and since it's the inside wall and we don't normally see inside walls when stood outside I thought I'd make it the remnants of a derelict & nearly demolished building. It's only been glued in place this weekend so is yet to be painted and heavily weathered...
The retaining walls need capping stones etc on them, and the embankments have to be painted and grassed before I put various fences up the back; some will be wood, some concrete and some corrugated iron for variety, but there won't be anything else beyond them so the backscene can be photoshopped or use natural backgrounds (better than my garden fence though Embarassed ) for photos...
There's plenty more to do but it's starting to come together now...

The little hut has a detailed interior with a couple of lights to be wired up, one clear in the roof and a red one in the fireplace to keep the Station Cat warm...

Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're still moving faster than me... I like the 'ruined building' idea
Jim Thompson

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F-Unit,

I also like the coffee mugs and paperwork! The details add so much.Cool

Peace,

Jim
Jordan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Thompson wrote:

I also like the coffee mugs ...

Thanks Jim, though I suppose being British I thought of them more as tea mugs of course... Laughing Wink
codger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks brilliant. I'm pondering a minimum space 0 gauge layout myself for a space 8' x 2' inc fiddle yard and this looks a lot like what I had in mind. Have you done anymore with it? Are there any more photos you could show us?
Jordan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi codger,
Indeed I have done more to it; just neglected to keep this thread up-to-date Embarassed ...

The Derelict building now has windows fitted... I think possibly there should really be more 'broken/missing' glass, but as this plays a major part as a view-blocker, remarkably there's just one pane broken...

I've finally got around to making one of the features I first envisaged for this layout- the canal Joey. It represents a steel-hulled version so I built it out of... well, steel, of course, with the aid of a MIG Welder and Angle Grinder... yes, really!! Shocked (and a bit of brass thrown in) ...ah, the joys of large-scale modelling...

and here it is painted and in place;

Withyn Reach now has a three-track/two position traverser Fiddleyard;

Scenic work has been progressing too (still not finished though), and at times my lad and I even get chance to actually run some trains...!!! Here's a study in concentration...

codger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cor! Looks v. good to me. I particularly like the retaining walls - they look really realistic. An idea for blocking the windows might have been to simulate them as being boarded up, thereby being both derelict and opaque. Still, looks OK as it is. Give me something to think about.
Jordan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This layout is still going strong although I've not done much more to it since the previous photos were posted - except move it from shed to loft, but here's a recent addition to the Loco fleet...
I've been saving up ever since Heljan announced they would do a Class 31, and yesterday I finally got mine :-

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: