FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lazy River
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Lazy River Reply with quote

Lazy River made its debut at the WRG Personal Layout Show last Saturday. The layout represents a small riverside town where the Idell County Railroad interchanges with the riverboats plying the waterway. In the first picture we see a mixed train leaving town for the main line junction at Cutting Corners.

Here's a shot of the left hand end of the layout. The tracks go through the backscene beside the feed mill to reach "the far end of the yard", where there is a sawmill and the team track. Here the 0-5-0 switcher can move locomotives from one track to another to complete run-round moves. The two small structures beyond the tracks are a Barber's Shop (ex-Dapol platelayer's hut), and a General Store made from parts of the lower storey of a Dapol signal box.

The centre/right section of the layout. The main line sneaks off into the fiddle yard behind the Agrico building, while two spurs run along beside the wharf where, one day, a ferryboat will be tied up.

Just to show that the ICRR also owns a steam engine (obviously second hand and in need of a repaint)

And finally, the other end of the layout with the wharf, the Surge Milking Machinery dealership and the green-painted buildings which house Bailey's Pearl Button Works.

Last edited by giles b on Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:50 pm; edited 7 times in total
mog

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy like it - more pictures please Giles!

Mogtrains2 at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.com/
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKcRvdN719g66eDzc2iUN1w
twilight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooooh, e's at it again! Very Happy

That looks extremely interesting Giles and I look forward to seeing it in more pics and print to grasp the whole concept. Interestingly I think that this sort of scene was the way my mind was drifting in the other US thread - must have been "sensing the vibrations" Rolling Eyes

Now, about this 0-5-0 switcher _ is this a fiendish new money-saving device or are the "Cherokees after me" ? Laughing

Regards
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twilight wrote:
Now, about this 0-5-0 switcher _ is this a fiendish new money-saving device or are the "Cherokees after me" ? Laughing

Had to think a little about those Cherokees, but got there in the end!

The 0-5-0 switcher was a replacement for the traverser that was supposed to be the offstage yard at this end of the layout. I just ran out of time. I did intend to use a Locolifter at the show, but in the end just a case of "Locos to manual" when running round. Also for lack of time the ferryboat that is scheduled to tie up alongside the wharf at Lazy River is still "on the other side of the river".

A lot of my photos suffered from camera shake (still not quite used to digital photogaphy yet). However I was next to Chris Ellis's layout at the show, and he took more pictures of Lazy River, so expect a full account in the magazine in due course.

Giles

Last edited by giles b on Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Giles. Until the riverboats arrive lets load some supplies

http://www.frenchmanriver.com/frenchmanriver/HO%20Scale/HO%20Launch/launch.htm

...and go up the Lazy River
twilight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice boats on that site Ken. They've even got a Puffer!

The more I look, the more this grows on me Giles. I do like the impression the buildings convey - some very cunning conversion work has gone on I see. Very Happy

Just to get a good mental image, can you say what sort of overall size we are looking at here.

Thanks. Look forward to the MTI account in due course.

Julian
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimesions of the layout: main baseboard 56 by 15 inches (which includes the "main-line junction" fiddle yard behind the wharf area); this is the longest I can fit into the car with the seats down. Then there's a further bolt-on section 24 inches long, the fiddle yard beyond the depot.

Last edited by giles b on Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Broadoak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like that Giles it has a lovely backwoods look to it, just right for a shortline. I must say that over the years Iíve always enjoyed your many layouts, plans and articles.
Thank you for sharing.
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The button works is highly appropriate for a riverside line. Excellent layout Giles.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. How big is (or isn't) it? I like the use of buildings rather than bridges to hide the exits, also the use a scenic area to hide the main fiddleyard, any chance of a trackplan please?

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this is a rather quickly drawn sketch plan and not to scale - I'm in a bit of a rush today. It should help to answer the questions being asked.

Last edited by giles b on Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Giles, I know you said you are making a boat, but I thought this article might be useful

http://www.lauriegreen.info/

In fact there are several water related articles, worth a look
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken,

That's a great site; many thanks for reminding me of it. Think I've been there before but it's had a lot added since.

I particularly like the little ferryboat, which is a little smaller than the HO version I'm halfway through for Lazy River, but exactly the right style. I'm hoping to do a G scale version one day, and a 46ft vessel is about right for the space I'm hoping will be available, so who knows............

Giles
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Giles,

Yes me too, I recently re-discovered the site. It has lots of ideas, which I am finding useful at the moment.

I knew you were building the ferry, but I thought it might be useful the way he builds the boat.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Lazy River Reply with quote

Time to put Lazy River away for the summer and concentrate on other projects, but before that I had a tinkering session with the backscene, which had originally been printed with a fast-emptying ink cartridge and so was a bit pale with a mauve cast. Good for the distant mountains, but not for the town foreground. Here's a "Before" with a nasty gap above the maroon building:-

and here are the "After" views with some new building roofs added to fill the gap, and some low shanties and a tree added on the other side to ease the transition from 3-D structures to the distant hills. The street background has also been reprinted and stuck over the pale version, leaving the distant mountain peak showing. The differences in the printing helps force the perspective.

And finally a shot of the steamboat landing. Still waiting for that ferry to arrive!

Giles
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: