FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lazy River
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite having (as I thought) not much to work with in the way of buildings' spare parts, I've managed quite a few structures over the last few days.

Some brick walls have been matched with a reduced roof from a Dapol bungalow to make the oil company's office and store. Some wash-basin waste pipe should make some tall tanks and there are a couple of tanker bodies for horizontal storage tanks. A couple of garages (Wills and Revell) have been put together - both needed new roofs, and another structure to cover a turnout solenoid has come from the two side walls of a dock-side crane's cab with new end walls and a lean-to roof.

The unused walls of the Agrico warehouse (ex-Revell farm) will provide the office for the feed and seed company, and also contain the point controls, accessible from the rear of the layout. while a Dapol station roof has been used for a low relief bagged-grain store, just a front wall with a couple of sliding doors from scribed styrene. A plastic pot (ex-grated cheese container) will become a grain silo to complete the industry.

Still to come are the lumber company buildings, the fruit packer's premesis and possibly an ice house. I'm hoping to obtain more raw materials next week to make a start on these structures.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to ransack a friend's spares box and came away with plenty of raw materials to finish the new industries around the yard. Mostly they will feature wooden construction, with the exception of the Ice company's ice-making plant and the possible boiler house at the lumber company. Main problem is the parts were all jumbled up and it's been quite a jig-saw to try and match similar types of planking from what appear to have been different kits - and then see if I've any suitable windows to fit the gaps in the walls.

In the process the feed and seed merchant may well become two separetae companies with a variety of buildings along the backscene. The spur at the lumber co now runs into a covered loading bay, with a central workshop block and either the boiler house of another loading bay - depending on which looks better in the available space (very little depth) to complete the industrial group. I've seen a brilliant design on a G scale website for a small sand-house. so this will tuck in alongside the tail track at the end of the loop next to a fuel tank to service the line's two diesels.

The fruit packer will have a three-storey building fronting the road by the grade crossing on the depot board, with a two-storey extension behind it alongside or possibly spanning the end of the spur. Some sort of covered loading bay beyond this, so that two cars can be loaded at the same time.

Finally I've been trying to come up with more names for the local industries that carry on the Lazy theme set by the layout's name. N. Dolenz Oil Co and perhaps Laydebach Ice are two that spring to mind. The garage will be S. Lowe Auto Repairs. Then there could be Waite Forrit Lumber Corp. and Dee, Lay & Co.

Anyone got any other suggestions?
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

giles b wrote:
N. Dolenz Oil Co and perhaps Laydebach Ice are two that spring to mind. The garage will be S. Lowe Auto Repairs. Then there could be Waite Forrit Lumber Corp. and Dee, Lay & Co.

The first two are fairly subtle... "S Lowe" not so sure; it doesn't actually read well at first (i.e. 'Ess - Low' rather than 'S - low')....
"Waite Forrit" Shocked Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes you're pushing it now!!! Razz

I used "Ed Turner" for the garage on Portway, no-one else seemed to pick up on it as a pun of "Head Turner", which is what most car enthusiasts want their pride & joy to be... Wink
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jordan"Waite Forrit" Shocked Shocked Shocked Rolling Eyes you're pushing it now!!! Razz

I can only plead the sort of names commonly used on layouts built in the USA where puns seem not uncommon! The past master of this sort of thing was Art Curren who invented O'Vell Bearings, the Oddah Tea Co, Justin Case Tool Co and Hyde & Ceak (shades and blinds).

As an aside, having spent the last few days producing new buildings for the inner end of fhe yard a pattern seems to be emerging, as the new buildings are taller than the 'older' structures along the riverside. This might be explained by the fact that the latter were already there from the days of river freight traffic when the railroad arrived in town, and that subsequent commercial premeses had to compete for the limited space alongside the new line's tracks, and so tended to build small and tall.

I'll try and post pictures as soon as I can, but meanwhile the clock is ticking rather loudly and I need to keep modelling.
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't one of Art Curren's something like "Old Fuels", with the slogan underneath "There's No Fuel Like An Old Fuel!"... and "Miracle Chairs" with the slogan "If It's a Good Chair It's a Miracle!"...
Those sort of puns were very clever!
There was an O scale US-outline layout on the UK circuit years ago that had the name "Avanarth Kuppa" (or something close) as an industry name! I think it was from Yorkshire?
More recently I saw a NG layout where every single name was a pun, some very contrived indeed. Admitedly this is just my personal opinion coming in, but I find too many really awful puns just become irritating after a while.
That said, I'm not averse to subtle puns myself, as per "Ed Turner" quoted earlier, and my O scale UK-outline layout "Withyn Reach"... Wink
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you make your point, Jordan. I'll try and limit the punning names!

I do remember Miracle Chairs - that one's turned up on several layouts. Meanwhile, I'll just get these other Art Curren ideas out of my system - Missen Gears; Gryden Gears; Dimwot Electrical Products Co; Nott Safe Co; Neitlinx Sausage Company (for the best wurst); Ohl & Warnout Machinery Co; Bawland Chain Co, and finally, Berns & Frye Cookware.
Broadoak

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a few more Giles in “Kitbashing HO Model Railroad Structures” by Art Curren.

Abe Better Distribution, Hardly Abel Mfg. Co. Perry Shibel Fruit & Produce Co-op, Flatt Iron Co, Gambol Waite,& Hope Co.and the Plaid Paint Co.

Roger Nicolls a superb and prolific modeller had the words of a popular song on a series of structures across a model he built some years ago. Then the names of two NMRA members on a sign that said Bull Shippers to anywhere.

Peter
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadoak wrote:

Roger Nicolls a superb and prolific modeller had the words of a popular song on a series of structures across a model he built some years ago. Then the names of two NMRA members on a sign that said Bull Shippers to anywhere...

I remember that:- "Trailers for Sale or Rent" on a billboard, then "Rooms to Let 50c" on the side of a building... it was in Continental Toddler, and I saw it for real at a show somewhere... if you stayed long enough, you'd see/hear quite a few viewers start singing it... Rolling Eyes Laughing
I didn't know about the other bit, though!! Shocked Razz

giles b wrote:
Yes, you make your point, Jordan. I'll try and limit the punning names!

Don't mind me Embarassed just make 'em clever!! Laughing

Anyway maybe we'd better let you have your thread back!!! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After three hectic weeks' work the layout extension is just about ready for its debut on Saturday - not finished, by any means, but presentable. Photos after the week-end, but meanwhile, here's a reminder of where the scenery ended previously. Gilmore's Feed & Seed (left hand foreground) has now been moved across to the far side of the line, its place taken by a three-storey building which is part of the fruit packing factory.

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Giles. Rather than pun industry names, you might consider industries appropriate to the Lazy River theme. For example a hammock factory and the sort of obivious rocking chair factory. Now that Woodland scenics have some musician figures you could even have a group asembled somewhere singing the layout's title song.

All the best for Saturday

Ken
giles b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick look at the new end of the yard. Will take something a litle more lively on Saturday, I hope. Meanwhile camera needs a re-charge.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Alco positions a flat car for loading at the lumber mill

A view down the length of the layout. The new sidings have made the switching possibilities much more varied.

The two feed and seed outlets with the lumber mill in the distance.

PS to the show:
The extra sidings in the fiddle yard were a great success, making operation much easier; however the third one was rather under-used. There is a plan for this - I have a Piko DR railcar with a broken body and the body of an old-time combine. I think the two might be able to be combined and modified to become a home-grown Doodlebug.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent a few hours on a project for the HO layout recently - the result is what is supposed to be a doodlebug, home-built by the ICRR.

The main ingredients are the mechanism from a Piko DR 4-wheeled railcar (this was accidentally dropped and the body suffered too badly to make keeping the German outline feasible). On top of it I'm mounting one of those "shorty" Sierra combine bodies, much modified and lengthened to match the chassis. New roof from scratch - a thick sheet of styrene and a lot of filing. As it looked a bit too flat-topped I added a shallow clerestory. General details still to do.

Not quite camera ready yet, but it should make a good companion to my kitbashed boxcab.
giles b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Show time for Lazy River is getting closer. The next dates are:-

WRG Small Layout Show, at Arundel 19th March 2011
(Scout Hut, Canada Rd, off Ford Rd)

Crawley MRS at Horsham 16/17th April 2011
Tanbridge House School, Farthings Hill,
Guildford Rd, Horsham, W Sussex RH12 1SR

Last edited by giles b on Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Jordan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Giles on getting Lazy River into Carl Arendt's latest Scrapbook page.... Very Happy Cool Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: