FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lazy River
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Jordan. I haven't posted much progress here recently as I've been working on my G scale line, which is nearing completion (or at least a state in which I'm happy to leave it for a while) with no real eyesores to be sorted out.

Now I have to get back to this one. Pre-Arundel jobs on the list include proper ballast, weathering the roads and mucking up the ground round the oil terminal, and attending to the spur serving the cannery which at present seems to slope away from the buffers so that cars spotted there just roll out of the siding again. The two ends of the cannery are on different baseboards and when they're joined together there's a gap in the walls. I have some thin sponge rubber that I'm thinking of glueing to one building end to fill up the gap. If I paint the edge the same shade as the walls this might help to hide the join.

The Doodlebug is going off to have Kadees fitted and then will need pilots added at each end - at presnt I'm not sure how to do this. It also needs a bit of work to disguise the join between body and chassis, Hope this will be done by Arundel, but if not it will make its debut at Crawley.
giles b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the Doodlebug back today, so it will be at Arundel this week-end. After that I plan to give it a different roof as I don't like the present one - too flat. New one will be carved from balsa with a higher profile. Meanwhile I've added some pilots at each end made from bits of some French-style concrete fencing - just had enough left over from Ste Emilie. They make the ends look much more finished.

The Davenport switcher has also been in an off-line workshop having the suspension "tweaked" so that it should have improved running qualities. If it does, I may be able to resist one of a couple of switchers on eBay that finish over the week-end.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lazy River was at the WRG show so I finally got some new pictures. Here's a selection.

First another shot of the MTI wagon being shunted in the yard

The boxcab arriving with a freight train

The line's caboose waits while the switcher gets busy on the wharf spurs

The new doodlebug.

The Davenport also put in a good day's work. Having been "breathed on" by a fellow WRG member it now runs as well as a loco fitted with a flywheel, and will probably handle the bulk of the switching in future.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather late - two views of the layout at the Crawley show a short while ago.

giles b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having operated Lazy River at a number of shows one of the original design faults has become apparent. Because the original Model Power turnouts are live on all routes, one cannot have a locomotive standing at the depot platform while another train enters or leaves the area. This is not totally inconvenient as since the extension of the yard there is a loco dead section next to a fuel point at the far end of the layout - but it is occasionally a minor irritant.

There is no room to add another switch to the tiny control panel, but I think I have come up with a possible solution using a DPDT switch and the addition of a section break in the "feed" rail on the platform track.
Hopefully the diagram will make all clear: with the switch set "forward" power goes merely to the main line at the station throat, with the platform isolated; when the switch is "reversed" the platform line is connected to the main line. The new switch can be mounted on the panel in the place of the present On/Off toggle.

giles b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking back to this thread I see I've taken my eye off the ball, so to speak, having been busy on other projects. I have just solved a power failure on the oil spur that slightly hindered operations at the last show we attended. However re-reading this thread has reminded me to do something about the platform isolation before the end of January when the layout goes to the Egham & Staines club's show. Future bookings in 2012 include visits to Farnham, Cranleigh and (tbc) Tolworth.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things have been a bit quiet at Lazy River recently. Hope to have more trains rolling next year.

giles b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Lazy River RIP Reply with quote

Sad news to report. Having stored Lazy River for the past few months a leaky garage roof over the winter months has meant that the layout has suffered more damage than is worth repairing. I shall therefore start taking it apart tomorrow, and perhaps the parts may turn up again in the future as a new layout.

Same goes for the stored G scale, though as this is built to withstand the outdoors a quick wipe-down of the stock may be all that's needed. However the buildings being card and balsa have fared worse than the styrene ones on the smaller scale layout. I forsee a big sale coming up in a month or two.

Luckily the On30 collection seems to have got off relatively lightly - a couple of damp boxes to throw out but the contents seems relatively unscathed.
Blackcloud Railways

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lazy River Gazette wrote:
Flooding around the area of the Lazy River RR's depot has caused the company to abandon its operations in the town. A senior manager was heard to mention that the LRRR was looking for a new enterprise to make use of its mobile assets. We wish the company well in its new venture but are sorely dismayed to see its departure from our town.

A spokesman for The Lazy River Omnibus and Trucking Company was quoted regarding local roads as being "not up to the task of replacing the RR" and it may be prudent for the townsfolk to consider conversion of the LRRR trackbed into a highway.

Once there were mountains on mountains and once there were sunbirds to soar with and once I could never be down.
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got that exactly right, Bob. Unfortunately the Idell County Examiner (office opposite the Lazy River depot) was also affected by the flood and it fell to the Gazette to report the news.
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking recently about what to do with the items I managed to salvage from Lazy River. Ideally I'd like to be able to run them again but don't want a long-winded project that will delay the building of my On30 layout.

At present I'm looking at a sort of thin shunty-plank + fiddle yard idea with the tentative name of Snaype Mills. As the name implies it's loosely based on the Snape branch terminus in East Anglia but with the addition of a wye point and two very short sidings inside the mill to add switching interest. With no run round and with cars needing to be spotted on the depot track, thus blocking the mill's access, switching looks likely to be challenging, but still possible if a limit of five cars is imposed. Length of the scenic section will be limited to 4ft 6ins so as to fit into the car in case there are any show invitations in future. Plans to come once I've made a full-size drawing to check everything will fit on the baseboard.

As the layout is one engine in steam, the 0-6-0T and boxcab will be plenty to handle the traffic, with the additional possibility of the 0-4-0T I picked up on eBay a few months ago. The doodlebug will be ample for passengers. This leaves the Davenport which I think will get used to power a cheapo Ford van to make a parcels/mail railcar to run on the planned Isla Blanca layout.
shortliner2001

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah - a revival of the Edgemoor & Manetta RR in Lando, SC. methinks - Sounds good!
Jordan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Edgmoor & Manetta plan that was originally done in the May 1980 Model Trains has fascinated me ever since, but I've never got around to building it Embarassed
giles b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Lando-ish; no run round and a mill plus freight house, fuel dealer and (just) space for a team track, rather than a single industry. In UK mode I'm thinking of using the Scats warehouse sheets, modified for the mill/maltings or whatever, while the US version could use either the brick factory or the fruit packing buildings ex-Lazy River.

I've done a paper switching exercise and will try and get an extra finger siding into the plan if possible, as it would make the layout a bit easier to operate, as well as providing another destination for one car; possibly the extra spur might serve a wharf so as to be able to re-use the riverboat.
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Snaype Mills idea (above) never got started, but I got the box of HO stock out of the loft last week to see how it had survived the flood that wrote off the layout two years ago. The two locos were a bit wheezy to start with but look as if some wheel cleaning and a run-in might get them back to full health.

The catalyst for this is a layout design competition for judging at the Wealden Railway Group's show in March. A full sized model of a layout needs to be presented - the layout being capable of transport in an airline "carry-on" bag. A start has been made using card from a couple of large cartons scrounged from the garden centre, and a plan has been drawn up on paper and stuck to the card baseboard. I'm currently trying out the buildings from Lazy River to see what can be re-modelled and re-used. The catch in the rules is the overall height if a hinged baseboard is used - about 4.5 inches including the frame and baseboard top. It looks like 18x18mm timber and 4mm ply will be the main ingredients, which will at least keep the weight down.

Photos to come this week-end, with luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: