FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pactin Waterside
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twilight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Pactin Waterside Reply with quote

Having recently made a protective storage lid & base for my British H0 layout Pactin Waterside , I thought I would dig out a few odd pics to post here as I never got round to it originally after MTI 74. The layout is still alive and gets worked on now and then as circumstances allow.

To remind you, the main board is a little under 5 feet x 1 foot and the trav-ector end adds about another 6 inches of length. The buildings are mostly scratchbuilt with the exception of the rear dairy-cum-brewery and the station building which are hacked kits.
Occasionally it runs ‘modern’ stuff (y’know, 1960s and 70s diseasel jobbies Wink ). Mostly though it operates in light railway mode as the WC&P – no, not that one, this is the Warnedowne, Crummlin and Pactin Valley Light. The Chief Engineer and General Manager is one Sir Stephen Kernalls and as I have said elsewhere, generally anything goes (except, quite regularly, the trains).

1. Overview

2. Shunting the quay

3. The station end – line now closed under the bridge.

4. One specially for Jordan because I know this is his favourite Lima British H0 loco Twisted Evil .
Straight out of the Choppett & Bodger Presission (sic) Engineers workshops on test after a make over (but heads will roll because some clown has forgotten to refit the front buffers [amongst other things]!)

5. And finally, it must be Sir Stephen’s Inspection Day – some of the motive power all bulled up at the station.

British H0 – you know it makes sense! Laughing
See more at the Society website:
http://www.british-ho.com/

Julian
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Pactin Waterside Reply with quote

twilight wrote:

4. One specially for Jordan because I know this is his favourite Lima British H0 loco Twisted Evil .

Shocked Embarassed Rolling Eyes Laughing

You have done some work on that, though!
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those tank engines look interesting. What's the origin of the tram loco, and is that a Terrier minus its coal bunker, to make it look a bit Beyer Peacock-ish?

Giles
twilight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan, yes, a bit of work done on the 4F (and by heck don’t they need it Rolling Eyes ). Lots more titivating to do yet.

Giles, the little tram was my first H0 loco and was a doctored ERTL “Lady” from the old Thomas range (all together now….”That’s why the Lady is a tram…….” Razz ). Sorry.

It runs on a SPUD. Excuse the pic quality, they are pre-digital:

The Terrier has had various bits altered and a completely different cab fitted (with internal bunker to keep the coal dry!) – knocked up from an old Airfix Pug kit. Another old photo of the rebuild in progress:

Julian
Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once looked at the Terrier chassis as possible RTR power for a GWR Pannier Tank. IIRC the wheelbase over outer axles is close, but the middle axle is offset on a Pannier.
The Pug cab changes the look completely, doesn't it ?!
mog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ver nice... must resist....

Mogtrains2 at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.com/
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKcRvdN719g66eDzc2iUN1w
john flann

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen this Julian; you have hidden your light(s)-model and literary under a bush. Well done.

How about a longer story in MTI, as every reader is not a member of the forum.

John Flann.
twilight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracious comments John. I thank you.
Will have to see what I can do. Wink
giles b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update on the two locos.

I entirely missed the ERTL "Lady" and if that was a Thomas-the-tank loco, well I stopped reading that series when the books still cost 4 shiillings and sixpece (they just surfaced in a loft clear-out). Nice model though, and it's amazing what difference a Pug cab on a Terrier makes. I've always wondered if removing the bunker and moving the cab rearwards on a Terrier, then filling in the gap with a forward coal bunker would make a convincing "Lochgorm" for anyone modelling the Highland Rly. Has anyone tried it, I wonder?

Giles
trainsgeorge

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 4F looks good - how did you do it? I'm thinking about the boiler in particular.
twilight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi George.
I think many would argue vociferously about the description 'good' being applied to any Lima H0 4F Laughing but it suits my rather simplistic "Muse" !

Because the drive is in the tender the boiler is empty so first the flat 'skirts' on the bottom can be sliced off. Then any suitable combination of plastic tubes/strips/ plastic card heat-curved (cooked inside or outside a suitable tin with boiling water - usual precautions!) etc can be glued in and used to create a false boiler bottom which is filled and sanded to shape . Boiler bands are re-instated with micro-strip. I seem to remember coming across this boiler-infill technique in 'Modelling Railways Illustrated' (Iain Rice & crew) quite a few years ago so the idea must have been around for quite some time. I suspect (must try this on another one) that the boiler could even be stuffed with car-body filler and the bottom profile suitably shaped/sanded.
I acquired this 4F in a rather bashed up condition that someone had already had a go at. The tender has also had some work to the sides, the loco to tender gap shortened and the Lima pancake motor replaced with a ModelTorque Lima Re-Motor Kit - see http://www.modeltorque.com.au/Lima.htm

All good fun which pleases me if no-one else Twisted Evil Wink
Regards,
Julian
Biased turkey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice little layout Julian. Well done.
I'm not familiar at all with UK style model railroading and UK prototypes ( that's one of the main reason why I joined MTI forums Very Happy )

Are the structures made out of printed paper and cardboard ?

What's exactly a trav-ector ? I know about sectorplate, traverser and transfer-table, but that word is new to me.

I particularly like the embedded track, could you please elaborate about how you did it ? Did you fill the space between the rails with plaster or spackling compound ?
I seriously think about having some embedded track in my next ( brewery ) micro-layout.

Jacques
mog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across this again and had another look at the pics. A very appealing little layout - I'm off to dig out 74 to have another look now.

Mogtrains2 at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.com/
Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKcRvdN719g66eDzc2iUN1w
twilight

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Jacques, only just catching up Embarassed

Apart from one adapted card kit in the centre rear (a Metcalfe kit) and a bashed Wills plastic kit for the station (taxi-mens rest hut), most of the structures are scratchbuilt from various embossed card, plastic-card and brick-paper overlays on a heavy (often multiple layer) cardboard base. The ones behind the wharf are merely facades and roofs over a card shell which hides the fiddle area.

The embedded track is nothing fancy - card with embossed plastic-card overlays built up to the rail edges and between the rails leaving a suitable wheel gap on the inside faces.

The 'trav-ector' is a combination of a double line traverser combined with a short-ish sector plate at the end which gives a run-round facility off what is otherwise a simple 'Z' (or Inglenook + kickback) trackplan. It also feeds a rear storage siding hidden under the rear buildings/scenery. MTI 74 should explain it better but here's the trackplan:

Regards,
Julian
Biased turkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm catching up too, I have been travelling for 2 months and had very limited computer access.
Thanks Julian for supplying additional info about the structures, the embedded tracks and the trav-ector.
I was planning to use sculptamold for the embedded track, but it looks like going the plasticard way should help to reduce the flange clearance problem.

Jacques
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: