FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pactin Waterside
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genetk44

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jacques and welcome home...I was starting to wonder if you were ever going to return to Montreal Very Happy
Andy in Germany

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also been away a while in Japan and the Netherlands. I like the model. It occurs to me that British outline HO9 would work out at a good combination.
allegheny1600

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Julian,
Sorry for dredging up such an old topic but I've been playing 'catch up' with British outline H0 scale and I found this!
I really do like your revamped Lima 4f - it looks great, as does the whole layout. Is everything still in existence, please?
Cheers,
John.

My club's 2018 exhibition:
http://forum.mtimag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2150
twilight

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Pactin Waterside Reply with quote

Hello John, sorry for slow reply – I only seem to get to catch up with the forum every so often at the moment!

I see that I last posted about Pactin getting on for 9 years ago when it was going into store pending a house and location move. Much of those 9 years has sadly been a modelling wilderness – when I had time I worked on ‘Rue d’Ouaqenin’ and its stock (MTI 103) plus an odd bit of 3mm stuff (another interest of mine) but latterly Life has intervened with a serious arm injury followed shortly afterwards by an even more serious long illness. Pactin slumbered on in store!

All the original locos including the Lima 4F re-work still exist and get a run on my little test board now and then. At the moment the 4F needs some re-soldering – the original wheels were changed for Romfords and the initial crankpin securing soldering was not 100% so the coupling rods fell off (well what else do you expect from Messrs Choppett & Bodger Presission (sic) Engineers!)

The timing of your post though is quite spooky as Pactin has just very recently emerged from store and is now standing in the corner having its future considered - another location move and downsize looks likely for me in the very near future so my modelling collection is already being reduced. Quite surprisingly (to me anyway) after all this time the layout still functions reasonably although there is a need to correct some odd faults but its long-term future is undecided as yet.

Through the years though, the Warnedowne, Crummlin and Pactin Valley Light Railway scenario has continued to haunt my modelling contemplations. Sir Stephen Kernalls, now rather more grey-haired and furrow-browed, still soldiers on as Chief Engineer and General Manager with the ever-pessimistic but always reliable Angus McCoatup as No.1 driver/fitter. Lord Harduppe has retired as Chairman of the Board, preferring time with the port bottle, cigar box and his orchid collection and although maintaining some interest, now leaves most of the active Board work to his son-in-law the Hon Algernon Willoughby Blitherington-Mankpottle who is a bit of an ass at times but not a bad old stick don’t you know.

They all still have a very sharp eye for a good bargain in the motive power stakes however and as well as the locos originally shown on page 1, the fleet now includes the 0-4-0ST conversion “Black Annie”, named by Angus after an old aquaintance, According to Angus she (the loco that is) takes a bit of warming-up initially but “goes like a wee beastie” thereafter.

There are also two skirted trams from the ERTL stable with some alterations/additions which are also still not yet fully completed. The first of these runs on the power block from a Bachmann MOW 4x4 HighRailer which is calmed down with a large block of lead inside the body to give reasonable running.
The second tram is a real favourite. It has now got to the stage of having its windows fitted and runs very smoothly and slowly on a much-butchered Roco 4-wheel diesel shunter obtained at a bargain price from a desperate trader at the end of a show many years ago and which was originally persuaded to fit inside the ERTL body with the aid of a large hacksaw, an even larger file and much sweat and bad language.

In the more modern (early 1960s) vein but also still lingering unfinished is the experimental Choppett & Bodger X2 Railcar (the X1 version having self-destructed quite spectacularly on an early test run). This is from a sawed-up Piko railcar body and is 1_axle powered by a chopped-up Tenshodo SPUD with its wheelbase lengthened with a wood block! Hmmmm! Economy is the watchword, never throw anything away!

I do still have aspirations and plans and hopefully before too long shall be in a position to get back to doing something a bit more constructive, either with Pactin or maybe with another part of the WC&PV line – I seem to visualise Crummlin as being something akin to a fairly derelict part of the old Bishops Castle Railway. I do like the less mainstream scales and quirkier sort of projects which suit my Muse and my pocket and although British H0 modelling is still much-derided by many and a fairly lonely furrow to plough at times, it has always held a certain appeal and challenge which I find fascinating. À chacun son goût (or summat).

Rivets? What rivets??
All the best
Julian
giles b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like all the loco conversions. The last reminds me I have a spare Piko railcar body in the projects-box; just no layout, present or planned, that needs such a vehicle - at least at the moment. Not sure I'm brave enough to saw up a motor bogie, though.
allegheny1600

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Julian,
Many thanks indeed for bring us up to date with this very charming layout and stock. My commiserations on your health problems though, I hope you make/made a full recovery.
Although I adore your 4F, your little "Black Annie" is a stunner and with the addition of the 'tank'(?) over the boiler, looks suitably Anglicised. I must look out for one myself!
I hope you continue to enjoy your modelling.
Cheers,
John.

My club's 2018 exhibition:
http://forum.mtimag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2150
ruedetropal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like that Black Anna conversion. Had not thought of it being small enough, but certainly a possibility.
Checked ebay and they are not too expensive, and quite a few available.

For light railways, I now have quite an extensive range for 3D printing. Just been working on thr Ford railmotors, but also have the various WCPR ones(based on latest info thanks to being a member of Colone Stephens Society)

This is just a mock up, wheels and track not included, although I am sure someone might want a static version.

http://www.rue-d-etropal.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> Layout Tours All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: