FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Exhibition reaction (or rather lack of reaction)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shortliner2001 wrote:
There is at least 1 interurban layout on the Exhibition circuit - Selah (Fruit Row) by Andy Gautrey (298 on MRWeb) which was at Glasgow this year - simple, beautifully done and presented, and featuring the Yakima Valley Transportation Company - well worth a look if you get a chance - it was in CM March 2006.

http://andygautrey.fotopic.net/

There are at least a couple of other Interurbans, an O scale round one loosely based on the Illinois Terminal, and a HO scale switching layout that has had european style catenary added. I'm hoping my own layout has inspired others to try something a little different.

Going back to some of the points raised earlier, I personally believe that a layout should be for the builder(s') personal enjoyment, and it's up to the Exhibition Manager to decide if he wants it at a show. I've often thought about building a small plank, as a loco repair facility to show current projects in a semi-realistic atmosphere rather than on the bench or in a display case. It would have a similar plan to Helper Yard, with a repair shed at one end with a paint shop next to it, the entry to which would count as the scenic break and stock would be removed from the tracks inside the shed to the workbench or spraybooth. It would make a convenient showcase for stock if I was exhibiting at a show, but would be quite limited as a stand alone layout.

One thing i've found when exhibiting "Selah" is it's very popular with American modellers who can recognise the prototype, and with exhibition managers and magazine editors who see it as something a bit different. The M,D & K brigade don't really know what they're looking at and although they can sometimes relate to the "Trams", basically just want to see a train move. The only really negative comments i've had are from this group, mainly because the layout is too tall so little Johnny can't see (i'm nearly 6', the rails are about 4' from the floor and I don't want to get backache), and the operation is boring, because there's lots of switching and the trains only run at a scale 10mph.

Let us know how the new project is taking shape....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Model Trains Interactive Forum Index -> The Bar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: